Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've completed year one. My last assignment my mark was in the 40s. All my other assignments where 50s never above 60. I'm disheartened and to be honest I feel like I'm just dumb. Too dumb for this course. I haven't failed anything but I've scraped my backside through it. I want to get better, I want to get better marks in year 2 and it's so much tougher so I need to step it up. Does anyone have any advice at all that I can carry on with me into second year? Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    I've completed year one. My last assignment my mark was in the 40s. All my other assignments where 50s never above 60. I'm disheartened and to be honest I feel like I'm just dumb. Too dumb for this course. I haven't failed anything but I've scraped my backside through it. I want to get better, I want to get better marks in year 2 and it's so much tougher so I need to step it up. Does anyone have any advice at all that I can carry on with me into second year? Thankyou
    Have you approached the markers to ask for feedback?
    The best way to learn is to look at the university marking scheme and then ask for feedback. Arrange meetings with the markers and ask how you can improve your work and what it is that you may improve on and where you're going wrong so to speak.
    University work is a much higher level of work than some people realise.
    And to help yourself, read and read some more.
    Reading scholarly articles and research etc will give you an idea of how your writing needs to be. It will help you gain an understanding how academic writing is and how your writing is meant to be like.
    The more reading you do the better it is for you. Many lecturers will tell you this, and university level work is not easy. Self directed study is very beneficial.
    Best of luck and don't be disheartened, nursing degrees aren't all about what grades you achieve!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pants marks can be turned around.

ReputationRep:
    yeah same
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that you're struggling so much. Don't forget to look for help out side of the nursing part of uni. The university should have a good academic support facility which will help you get to grips with academic writing and how to structure essays. The library will often provide help on how to do things such as literature searches. There is plenty of help out there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned before it's worth asking for feedback. You may find that you are losing marks due to bad referencing or a poor conclusion, which can be easily rectified

ReputationRep:
    you've passed stop worrying. work out were your grades are falling and work on them. the feed back should tell you what needs to be worked on.

ReputationRep:
    Im at the start of third year and 3/4 of my grades over the first 2 years have been mostly 40's maybe one in the 50's.
    A PASS IS A PASS! that's all you need to think about
    When you qualify and you go for jobs, NO ONE will ask what grade you left with. They just want to know are you qualified and can you do the job.
    So don't worry, your not dumb cause your still passing! As long as your passing you don't need to worry too much. Even if you do fail one, you can just re-do the assignment or re-sit the exam its not that much of a big deal to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Also, the best advice I was given from a mentor was to choose the easiest topic possible and keep it simple, just answer the learning objectives! That was on my middle placement last year and after that advice I did the very thing on my last assignment of year two and go 80%!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.