Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mental health education as a compulsory national curriculum subject Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I have just signed a petition on the UK government website for mental health education to be introduced as a compulsory national curriculum subject.
    As someone who suffers with depression this would have really helped me when I was younger.
    According to the mental health charity YoungMinds, 3 kids in every class in the UK have a mental health condition. That's 850,000 in the UK!
    If PE is a mandatory subject at school then why isn't mental health? I would have found this so much more beneficial. Plus it would benefit CAMHS, NHS, etc
    If anyone else has suffered with mental health, would you have found mental health education at school a positive step?
    The petition is here if you want to have a look and sign if you agree.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nattie77)
    Hi all,
    I have just signed a petition on the UK government website for mental health education to be introduced as a compulsory national curriculum subject.
    As someone who suffers with depression this would have really helped me when I was younger.
    According to the mental health charity YoungMinds, 3 kids in every class in the UK have a mental health condition. That's 850,000 in the UK!
    If PE is a mandatory subject at school then why isn't mental health? I would have found this so much more beneficial. Plus it would benefit CAMHS, NHS, etc
    If anyone else has suffered with mental health, would you have found mental health education at school a positive step?
    The petition is here if you want to have a look and sign if you agree.
    Thanks
    Yea it would be great, but there are already too many subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I worry that people's constantly talking about mental health is affecting the nation's mental health. Also that it is becoming a default expectation that there is something wrong with you, such that you've only to work out what it is in order that you can set about setting it right. "What's your disorder?" as it might once have been "what's your star-sign?"

Being miserable as a teenager isn't evidence of something wrong and more likely suggests something as right: that's a difficult time and a properly sensitive soul will sometimes be troubled. And in adulthood too, I'm afraid.

I hope it won't seem that I am trivialising mental health issues. My concern is that these are being trivialised.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.