Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm 2ND year maths student and I just passed first year, I can't do any of the work and failed a module already, don't know what to do if I drop out and really like the whole Uni life (not just going out).

Is it possible to change from a maths course to a business course. Would I have to do all 3 years again or just go straight into 2ND year? And what would happen with student finance on so on because I'm not in a good financial situation as a family like most people, really starting to panic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukecurtis12)
    Hi, so I'm 2ND year maths student and I just passed first year, I can't do any of the work and failed a module already, don't know what to do if I drop out and really like the whole Uni life (not just going out).

Is it possible to change from a maths course to a business course. Would I have to do all 3 years again or just go straight into 2ND year? And what would happen with student finance on so on because I'm not in a good financial situation as a family like most people, really starting to panic
    I think the first thing for me to ask's why can't you do any of the work? Do you just not understand it or's it something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flatline)
    I think the first thing for me to ask's why can't you do any of the work? Do you just not understand it or's it something else?
    Firstly, there's so much to do.
    Secondly, it's so hard I can barely do any of the simplest of things.
    And thirdly, I am not enjoying it at all so I have no motivation..

ReputationRep:
    Think transfer depends on specific unis and courses

And btw just because it's hard, doesn't mean it's too late to cstch up. If you dont like thr course, then that's something else

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your personal tutor as soon as possible.
    • Very Important Poster

SFE will finance you for degree length +1 gift year.

Transfers are dependent upon finding a uni to take you and they will require grades plus be satisfied that what you have done already will be consistent with the degree you are transferring onto.

A maths degree is not really compatible with a business degree transfer as the courses are different. If you only just passed first year then your grades arent likely to be that impressive, which will limit your attractiveness to any institution.

I think they would ask you to do the whole three years again.

In terms of finance you have used up your gift/spare year, so you are at degree length -1 (The time to transfer / quit was up to the end of the first year). That means unless you cna put in a successful compelling reasons claim (It doesnt look like you have grounds as your ason for change is simply th course is too hard), then they will only finance you from year 2 onwards and you will have to find your own fees and main for that.

Option 1 Sort out why you are failing your current degree. talk to tutor, get extra work, more study etc, but as you say it dosnt look like you cna cope, in which case why throw good money after bad.

Option 2 Find a transfer- unlikely imo for the reasons given. So make enquiries though.

Option 3 Do a different subject, which would mean a degree you can enjoy and cope with. You will have to find the finance for the first year unless you can make a ccomeplling reasons calim. i.e was your peformance down to medical reasons plus can you prove it,

If I were in your position then I think there are no easy options. If you carry on you can get a degree , but maybe not considering how much you are struggling. Sort out why you are failing if possible. Be realistic and honest about it. Talk to tutor. Your choice.

Leave uni, stop incurring debt and save up funds to finance a first year. perhaps your current uni would give you a discount if they wnated to keep you? Ho and aks student support.

Its your choice and in your case no ideal option.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hi,

Try not to panic too much, 999tigger (above) is pretty much on point! Go and talk to your personal tutor about everything, being open and honest is the best way forward. If you don't want to talk to your personal tutor, find another lecturer that you get on with! They can also give you accurate information regarding how many years of study you will need to do which is much better than having guesses!
    Assuming you are from the university of Reading, there is also a counselling service in Carrington which could help reassure you and get you talking to the right people if needed.
    Alongside that, don't worry too much about the finance side of things, Reading has bursaries and grants for those who are struggling or worried about money, just get talking to someone.

I hope this has helped, and if you have any further questions we will do our best to help,
    Amelia,
    Third year student ambassador

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.