Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

I don't mean to boast, but my brain is considerably bigger than yours! watch

ReputationRep:
    I fell off my bike this morning and banged my head quite badly and was concussed. I went to the A & E to ensure that I hadn't done any serious damage to my skull or brain, but after an MRI scan I got the all clear (thank god).

Anyway, the neurologist told me that the MRI scan showed that I had an unusually large brain. He estimates that it is about 8% larger in mass than the 'average' brain size of a 'normal' person! I worked out that this means I probably have 8 000 000 000 more neurones than the 'average' person. So that would be 108 000 000 000 neurones! The 'average' person has an estimated 100 000 000 000!

I don't know how common it is to have an unusually large brain (I wish I had asked but I was a bit dizzy, nauseous etc) but if it is rare, then it is quite likely that I have 8 000 000 000 more neurones than all of you! I don't mean to boast or anything, but I was just wondering if there are any medical students that can tell me if having a larger brain makes me more intelligent than if I had a smaller one? Because I can't find anything on the internet about it. And also to ask whether anyone else has an unusually large brain size?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dude)
    I fell off my bike this morning and banged my head quite badly and was concussed. I went to the A & E to ensure that I hadn't done any serious damage to my skull or brain, but after an MRI scan I got the all clear (thank god).

Anyway, the neurologist told me that the MRI scan showed that I had an unusually large brain. He estimates that it is about 8% larger in mass than the 'average' brain size of a 'normal' person! I worked out that this means I probably have 8 000 000 000 more neurones than the 'average' person. So that would be 108 000 000 000 neurones! The 'average' person has an estimated 100 000 000 000!

I don't know how common it is to have an unusually large brain (I wish I had asked but I was a bit dizzy, nauseous etc) but if it is rare, then it is quite likely that I have 8 000 000 000 more neurones than all of you! I don't mean to boast or anything, but I was just wondering if there are any medical students that can tell me if having a larger brain makes me more intelligent than if I had a smaller one? Because I can't find anything on the internet about it. And also to ask whether anyone else has an unusually large brain size?
    I don't know how significant having an 8% larger brain is. Presumably brain size is normally distributed, so having 8% more than the 'average' person depends on the variance of brains. Apparently the neanderthals had bigger brains than homo sapiens, so you shouldn't assume that bigger is cleverer.

Maybe the MRI scan made your brain bigger......

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no idea if your extra 8 000 000 000 neurones have much relevance to being more intelligent but I did see that programme about a woman who has more than half her brain missing yet she is extremely intelligent, part of mensa etc. etc.

Well my initial thought to this was..

If brain size determined intelligence then everyone with an average brain size would be of equal intelligence, which they clearly are not.

Also, they used to measure the size of the skull to determine brain size hundreds of years ago and would measure intelligence on the estimated size of the brain. This was written off over a hundred years ago because they realised it had no bearing at all on level of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    You never know, half of your brain could just be empty space...

ReputationRep:
    They usually say size doesn't matter, it's how you use it that counts . Though not sure if this applies to the brain .

(Original post by Koloth)
    They usually say size doesn't matter, it's how you use it that counts . Though not sure if this applies to the brain .
    Probably the most subtle inuendo I have heard all day!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Probably the most subtle inuendo I have heard all day!!!
    Definately something girls appreciate though !!! However I thought most mens brains were down their trousers...

ReputationRep:
    Well, how have your GCSEs/A level results been then? View the practical evidence!!!

ReputationRep:
    When Einstein finally died scientists were very keen to get their hands on his brain, hoping that it would be very big and thus prove the link between size and intelligence. Anyway, he turned out to be smaller than average (sorry, Beckham), but they found unusual motor links between different parts of the brain that meant he was able to make connections that other people couldn't. So next time you fall off your bike get them to check out your synapses.

ReputationRep:
    Sure does! Ever read any Tony Buzan? It's certainly how you use what you have that counts.

an adult elephant's brain size is about 5 times bigger than a humans. They arn't more inteligent than we are so it means nothing really.

ReputationRep:
    Humans only use 10% of their brains (approx) so I imagine you use something like 9.5% of your brain. But it depends which side you use the most, one side is more arty, the other scientific and stuff like that.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    an adult elephant's brain size is about 5 times bigger than a humans. They arn't more inteligent than we are so it means nothing really.
    How do you know they're not more intelligent? Have you seen one take an exam?

ReputationRep:
    However, in proportion to the size of the body, the elephant brain is smaller than the human brain.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Humans only use 10% of their brains (approx) so I imagine you use something like 9.5% of your brain. But it depends which side you use the most, one side is more arty, the other scientific and stuff like that.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Indeed you don't, as Humans use all of their brains. Humans using only 10% of their brains is a myth. Humans only use 10% of their brains for walking around and smelling things. In contrast, elephants and certain whales have LARGER brains than we do, but they must devote a great percentage of brain mass just to moving their massive bodies around

ReputationRep:
    However, in proportion to the size of the body, the elephant brain is smaller than the human brain.
    IIRC the dolphin has abigger brain in relation to body size than the human. Even though dolphins are supposed to be quite intelligent, this kinda suggests there is more to the brain than just it's size.

ReputationRep:
    What did the elephant say to the naked man?

How do you breath through that thing!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    What did the elephant say to the naked man?

How do you breath through that thing!!!!
    lol you rudey!

Contrary to popular belief, that if you have a larger than normal brain you are clever is false, it is in actual fact the number of connections between the neurones that determines intelligience and hence IQ.

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to popular belief, that if you have a larger than normal brain you are clever is false, it is in actual fact the number of connections between the neurones that determines intelligience and hence IQ.
    As I said. And if this guy falls off his bike again he might get brain damage and then it would be 'Don't boast to mean, but Brain my is considerably more squished than yours'. Ahem.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.