Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pasta - what is your fave? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a great fan of spaghetti and linguine but in my experience they both tend to have the propensity to be a little 'messy' - I'm okay with them both at home but in a restaurant it's a big 'no no' for me.

You?

ReputationRep:
    Tagliatelle and gnocchi are the best!! :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    Hmmm, sounds good - with or without Parmesan and Olive oil amigo?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Spaghetti and tortellini (these one in combination with cream sauce and ham is awesome) are on top, closely followed by lasagne sheets. In general, I am a big fan of pasta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drez999)
    Hmmm, sounds good - with or without Parmesan and Olive oil amigo?
    With!!! The more cheese the better!!!

ReputationRep:
    Farfalle. Bowties are cool.

I also find when I drain conchiglie or penne that they are harder to get all of the water out of and you end up with water at the bottom of your bowl making it not very nice.

ReputationRep:
    spaghetti and ravioli definitely although tagelli is defiantly up there

ReputationRep:
    With!!! The more cheese the better!!!
    Aye.

I am sooooo with you on that!

Ommmn nom nom - etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    ik its not really Italian but I love conchigliette,, the one that looks like shells!!

ReputationRep:
    Carbonara in any kind of pasta :heart:

ReputationRep:
    Spag bol every time
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Spaghetti carbonara and spaghetti bolognese. :daydreaming:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I like the bowties as they have the "solid" bit in the middle you can jab with your fork. This makes them easier, and quicker, to eat.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It's all about long pasta for me! One of my absolute favourite recipes is so simple: place a nice glug of extra virgin olive oil over a low heat and add crushed garlic and a couple of slices of cured ham like Serrano or Palma that have been finely minced with a knife. Sweat the garlic and ham for a few minutes until they take on the lightest hint of browning, then throw in some chopped parsley and toss the pasta through the flavoured oil :coma:

(Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Farfalle. Bowties are cool.

I also find when I drain conchiglie or penne that they are harder to get all of the water out of and you end up with water at the bottom of your bowl making it not very nice.
    Top tip: don't "over-drain" your pasta, after you've drained your pasta throw it immediately into the saucepan with your sauce, stir to combine, and cook it for an extra minute or two. The residual pasta water will actually help the sauce coat the pasta a bit better and slightly thicken the sauce as the starch is incorporated. Throwing a splash of the starchy pasta water into the sauce is a criminally overlooked element of traditional pasta cooking :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Gnocchi are delicious but I'm not sure they count as pasta.

In general I don't really care what shape my pasta is in, except that I find spaghetti more time consuming to eat.

ReputationRep:
    Tortellini
    Macaroni
    Rigatoni
    Caneroni
    Conchiglie

Worst is Penne and its subvarieties

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It's all about long pasta for me! One of my absolute favourite recipes is so simple: place a nice glug of extra virgin olive oil over a low heat and add crushed garlic and a couple of slices of cured ham like Serrano or Palma that have been finely minced with a knife. Sweat the garlic and ham for a few minutes until they take on the lightest hint of browning, then throw in some chopped parsley and toss the pasta through the flavoured oil :coma:

Top tip: don't "over-drain" your pasta, after you've drained your pasta throw it immediately into the saucepan with your sauce, stir to combine, and cook it for an extra minute or two. The residual pasta water will actually help the sauce coat the pasta a bit better and slightly thicken the sauce as the starch is incorporated. Throwing a splash of the starchy pasta water into the sauce is a criminally overlooked element of traditional pasta cooking :yep:
    Your recipe sounds like the one from the film 'Chef', although he uses sliced garlic to get it nice and crunchy.

Ahh yes, pasta-water makes the sauce nice and silky.

At the moment I've been avoiding adding the water; experimenting with pasta that's been pushed through bronze dies giving it a coarse, rough texture which apparently holds onto sauce rather well. If I make Carbonara, I won't add any pasta water though.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)

Worst is Penne and its subvarieties
    Penne is boring, but for me the worst pasta has to be orzo. It transports a minimal amount of sauce, it's a pain to cook all dente and has a weird mouthfeel. It is inferior to both rice and normal pasta in every way :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Penne is boring, but for me the worst pasta has to be orzo. It transports a minimal amount of sauce, it's a pain to cook all dente and has a weird mouthfeel. It is inferior to both rice and normal pasta in every way :unimpressed:
    Yeah Orzo is a travesty, in fact all the smaller ones bar mac are pretty meh tbh. I forgot, Fusilli and its subvarieties are boring too, that and Penne are the basic *****es of the pasta world :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Anything with bolognaise. Tortelloni is lovely as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.