Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pasta - what is your fave? Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Your recipe sounds like the one from the film 'Chef', although he uses sliced garlic to get it nice and crunchy.

Ahh yes, pasta-water makes the sauce nice and silky.

At the moment I've been avoiding adding the water; experimenting with pasta that's been pushed through bronze dies giving it a coarse, rough texture which apparently holds onto sauce rather well. If I make Carbonara, I won't add any pasta water though.
    Chef is on my to-watch list :yep:

Yeah the principle is more surface area equals more pasta for the sauce to cling to. No reason not to also add a splash of the water to the sauce though

(Original post by somemightsay888)
    Yeah Orzo is a travesty, in fact all the smaller ones bar mac are pretty meh tbh. I forgot, Fusilli and its subvarieties are boring too, that and Penne are the basic *****es of the pasta world :lol:
    That's the perfect analogy :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I mean I'll eat spagehtti if it's cooked and pizza if its delivered but its just not a favourite food
    the whole concept of putting sauce on bread and toasting it (all pizza is) deep down is ridiculous and culinary laziness

I prefer traditional English food and if I'm feeling good I'll cook or order oriental
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    I mean I'll eat spagehtti if it's cooked and pizza if its delivered but its just not a favourite food
    the whole concept of putting sauce on bread and toasting it (all pizza is) deep down is ridiculous and culinary laziness

I prefer traditional English food and if I'm feeling good I'll cook or order oriental
    It's not really culinary laziness though is it? You make the dough and the sauce and put the toppings on yourself. It isn't a ridiculous concept, unless you're talking about the awful supermarket pizza.

ReputationRep:
    I mean I'll eat spagehtti if it's cooked
    Well why would you eat it raw.

and pizza if its delivered but its just not a favourite food

How is it culinary laziness? Try making it from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    It's not really culinary laziness though is it? You make the dough and the sauce and put the toppings on yourself. It isn't a ridiculous concept, unless you're talking about the awful supermarket pizza.
    Well why would you eat it raw.

How is it culinary laziness? Try making it from scratch.
    You two always have to say something. You do realise it's my opinion and not worth a debate but hey ho.

And making Chinese food is far more complex cuisine and richer taste for all the work because of overnight marinating for starters, and all the ingredients.

you can make pizza yourself, almost the same steps as making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Who would even buy it from the supermarket when its almost the same price as ordering from a shop.

ReputationRep:
    and yes I meant if someone cooks the spaghetti and offers I will eat it, but if someone asks what I want to eat I'm not going to pick spaghetti obviously

ReputationRep:
    you can make pizza yourself, almost the same steps as making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Who would even buy it from the supermarket when its almost the same price as ordering from a shop.
    You, sir, are a pizza novice.

This is not meant as an insult. Just an observation.

ReputationRep:
    You two always have to say something. You do realise it's my opinion and not worth a debate but hey ho.

And making Chinese food is far more complex cuisine and richer taste for all the work because of overnight marinating for starters, and all the ingredients.

The food you get from a takeaway isn't representative of actual chinese food. Marinading something isn't remotely complex. You just..make the marinade and cover the meat/ingredient you want to marinade and then leave it to infuse. I'll agree that generally speaking, Asian food does take me significantly longer to prepare than Italian.

Are you sure you're British? Who eats peanut butter jelly sandwiches in the UK.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You two always have to say something.

Because you always have something stupid to say, just countering it.

You can't say pizza is culinary laziness though; from making the dough to the sauce - it is an intensive process. You've probably never tried real Italian pizza before, if you think that. Your experience is based on Domino's and supermarket pizzas.

Erm... the same as a sandwich...? That is if you're going to be making the bread yourself, and the jam and peanut butter. You can skip steps by buying pre-made bases and sauces, sure. But you can also skip steps with Chinese food too - there are always shortcuts.

The fact that you called pizza a 'ridiculous' concept is laughable.

ReputationRep:
    Drez exits left stage salivating and not a little hungry...

ReputationRep:
    spaghetti carbonara
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    tortellini and ravioli

ReputationRep:
    Linguine (tastes so nice when making carbonara) and conchiglies (also known as pasta shells)

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody tried spaetzle?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    My favourite pasta is fusilli. The shape is optimal.

ReputationRep:
    Spaghetti (I like to cut them short rather than cooking them whole, I love hot food and find the long ones
    take longer to eat making the food too cold before I eat it ) and Penne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    Spaghetti (I like to cut them short rather than cooking them whole, I love hot food and find the long ones
    take longer to eat making the food too cold before I eat it ) and Penne.
    About 0645 I'm gonna have spaghetti with a tin of sardines in tom sauce with olive oil and parmesan cheese.

Sooo salivating...

ReputationRep:
    Tagliatelle, rigatoni and radiatore

ReputationRep:
    Spaghetti or fusilli:excited:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody tried spaetzle?
    Yeah, me. Like this kind of pasta now and then. It is very good in combination with meat cut into strips. What do you think of that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.