Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Don't laugh at me please.

I'm having a crisis right now. I am very determined to get to Bath next year...well. The past two years haven't exactly been my best and the only thing I have that's motivating me is that the next 3 years will be amazing.

I think Bath as a city and the uni as a concept is right for me. It's small, cosy, warm unlike London, big, cold, cramped.
    But Bath as a people I'm not so sure on. Demographically, London is one of the most diverse cities in the world and having lived there all my life I don't know if I will miss it, but I'm scared I will. I'm Chinese, I like Chinese things on occasion, I probably prefer Asian girls, and quite frankly fitting in and the feeling of belonging is the most important thing to me, and my enjoyment at uni will hinge on it.

Also...I like anime and video games and whilst university is an opportunity to expand horizons, old habits die hard. I'd like to know how these two societies do in Bath, whether they're popular, what they get up to.

Any words from students/ex-students I would really appreciate. I'm sorry if I sound delusional, judgement or even borderline racist, but at 2AM after clicking every google link under the sun in an coffee fuelled panic, I just want to sleep.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Bathyesnomaybeso)

I'm having a crisis right now. I am very determined to get to Bath next year...well. The past two years haven't exactly been my best and the only thing I have that's motivating me is that the next 3 years will be amazing.

I think Bath as a city and the uni as a concept is right for me. It's small, cosy, warm unlike London, big, cold, cramped.
    But Bath as a people I'm not so sure on. Demographically, London is one of the most diverse cities in the world and having lived there all my life I don't know if I will miss it, but I'm scared I will. I'm Chinese, I like Chinese things on occasion, I probably prefer Asian girls, and quite frankly fitting in and the feeling of belonging is the most important thing to me, and my enjoyment at uni will hinge on it.

Also...I like anime and video games and whilst university is an opportunity to expand horizons, old habits die hard. I'd like to know how these two societies do in Bath, whether they're popular, what they get up to.

Any words from students/ex-students I would really appreciate. I'm sorry if I sound delusional, judgement or even borderline racist, but at 2AM after clicking every google link under the sun in an coffee fuelled panic, I just want to sleep.
    Hi,

I am a second year International Management student here at the University of Bath. Bath is a very diverse university, on my course we all integrate very well and form varied teams in any group projects. I have a number of friends from China and surrounding countries who feel very comfortable studying at Bath. Support for international students is strong at the University of Bath, dealing with issues such as home sickness and also arranging events to encourage us to integrate. You also mention that you like Chinese things, we have a large section of our campus store dedicated to Asian foods.

I can't comment on what the individual societies do as I am not a part of them. You could try contacting them by email if you have any particular questions, I am sure that they would be happy to respond. You can check out their pages here.

I hope that this helps,
    Hayden
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Bathyesnomaybeso)

I live in London and study in Bath, and am also East Asian.

You're right, Bath isn't the most diverse place - if I had to guess, I'd say maybe 80% of students are white, then small proportions of East and South Asians and other ethinicities make up the rest. You won't have trouble meeting Chinese people, they are not a rare species in Bath, they speak good English as well but if you speak Mandarin/Cantonese etc then great, they're proper international students so that'll be their first language! So you should be okay on that front. Your preference for those girls may change, it may not.. but that's not too important because you should be fine either way.

As mentioned above there is a shop on campus with a few aisles for oriental stuff - I've bought rice, tofu and noodles from there as well as some Korean drinks, it's not too bad, plus you can always order stuff from Tesco etc...

I'm not part of the gaming society but I do see the purple jumpers with their logo on it from time to time, so it can't be that dead. I have a friend who is in it though and they have LAN parties, super smash brothers etc... so there's definitely a place for it. Heck, even without it I was in a group of 10 or so people that spent most of the night after exams just gaming (FIFA, LOL, Battlefield etc..) and even had one or two xboxes in our first year flat and then bought one for our second year flat..

Let me know if you have any other questions
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.