The Student Room Group

Mortgage with mum - 'living with parents' or not?

Hello!

I am looking in to student finance - particularly the maintainence loan part I believe.

I am stuck with the simple question: "where will you live while studying?" 'with parents' or 'not living with parents and studying outside of London'.

I technically live with my mum, but her and I share the mortgage. I moved out and then moved back with mum in 2013 when my parents split and so I was put on a mortgage with her in order for us to get a house for us and my little brother. I will be 25 when I go to uni in September this year and intend on staying in my house (as I am now tied to it for a loooong time!).

So I do live with my parent, but it is the same situation as someone who may live alone or with a partner as she does not financially support me nor do our finances appear anything like the typical 'living with parents' situation (for example for an 18 year old student going to uni straight from school). It is a technicallity I have struggled with defining before, but credit/loan companies etc in the past have said as I am on mortgage paperwork I am not considered to be 'living with parents', but I do worry when it comes to something as major as student finance, and can be over a £1000 difference!

Thank you in advance for help with clarifying this matter!
Original post by SarahDally
Hello!

I am looking in to student finance - particularly the maintainence loan part I believe.

I am stuck with the simple question: "where will you live while studying?" 'with parents' or 'not living with parents and studying outside of London'.

I technically live with my mum, but her and I share the mortgage. I moved out and then moved back with mum in 2013 when my parents split and so I was put on a mortgage with her in order for us to get a house for us and my little brother. I will be 25 when I go to uni in September this year and intend on staying in my house (as I am now tied to it for a loooong time!).

So I do live with my parent, but it is the same situation as someone who may live alone or with a partner as she does not financially support me nor do our finances appear anything like the typical 'living with parents' situation (for example for an 18 year old student going to uni straight from school). It is a technicallity I have struggled with defining before, but credit/loan companies etc in the past have said as I am on mortgage paperwork I am not considered to be 'living with parents', but I do worry when it comes to something as major as student finance, and can be over a £1000 difference!

If you're over 25 then you'll be classed as an independent student. That means the only income that will be requested would be for yourself (but only unearned income like trust funds or rental income from property) and from your partner.

The wording on the actual application is "living with parent(s)" or "Elsewhere or own home" - if you're paying the mortgage and independent then that counts as your own home :smile:
Original post by SarahDally
Hello!

Students over the age of 25 are classed as independent. You will not be asked if you are living in the parental home.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending