Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Official cie igcse 2017 may/june thread + predictions watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here do CIE Computer Science? Predictions.advice on that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomMC1)
    Im doing the time zone 2 for history. This means I'm doing Treaties for the Paper 2. So we can pretty much cross off treaties for Paper 1, as the same topics never appears on both papers (i think you also mentioned that previously).

So the only pre war are the League & road to WW2. So you reckon at least ONE of these 2 will appear, cause usually 2 prewar come up?

Don't you also think for post-war questions Gulf Matter 1970-2000 could come up. As far as I remember it wasn't on the Paper 1 for ages.

Hey, so we've pretty much predicted the topics for the first sets of questions in history. What about the depth study sets? What could the two sets be for WW1?

ReputationRep:
    With history timezone 2, there is a new syllabus from 2017 to 2019. Couldn't by any chance that mean they :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: us over and not longer continue with the pattern of 2 pre war and 2 post WW2 questions? You never know with new syllabuses - just like with geography they gave us quite a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y case study for earthquakes? Then again the syllabuses for history changed 2 times between 2012 to 2016, yet the pattern of 2 prewar and 2 post war was still there.

It is quite a gamble but at this stage I am willing to take it. If it happens, we all get A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactive DK)
    Hey, so we've pretty much predicted the topics for the first sets of questions in history. What about the depth study sets? What could the two sets be for WW1?
    Which depth study are you specifically doing?
    I am doing Germany.
    In Germany there are 2 main sections: Weimar and Nazi Germany.
    80% of the times there is 1 question from weimar and 1 from nazi. A couple times BOTH were Nazi but never 2 questions from weimar.

If you do any other depth study, all carefully at the syllabus of the depth study and check where there are any 'splits' in the content - like in Germany there is pre Hitler Era and a section dealing with Hitler.

As far as me and Germany, Im only studying Nazi Germany. As I said, i am pretty much garanteed a nazi question.

Let me know if you need any help
    - T

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koala789)
    Well for CIE history on Friday you're guaranteed 4/6/10s on the LoN and the road to WW2 if that's any use?
    Omg I really hope those are the topics 😓 I hope the LoN is on the 1920s and WW2 has appeasement

ReputationRep:
    Which depth study are you specifically doing?
    I am doing Germany.
    In Germany there are 2 main sections: Weimar and Nazi Germany.
    80% of the times there is 1 question from weimar and 1 from nazi. A couple times BOTH were Nazi but never 2 questions from weimar.

If you do any other depth study, all carefully at the syllabus of the depth study and check where there are any 'splits' in the content - like in Germany there is pre Hitler Era and a section dealing with Hitler.

As far as me and Germany, Im only studying Nazi Germany. As I said, i am pretty much garanteed a nazi question.

Let me know if you need any help
    - T
    I'm actually doing WW1 and I have noticed a split in the sets too over all the past papers I did. It's mainly divided into the beginning of the war such as the battles and events that led to it. The other set would be about the end of the war and the events where the USA would join.
    In case you can find out anything about it, let me know And thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactive DK)
    I'm actually doing WW1 and I have noticed a split in the sets too over all the past papers I did. It's mainly divided into the beginning of the war such as the battles and events that led to it. The other set would be about the end of the war and the events where the USA would join.
    In case you can find out anything about it, let me know And thank you!
    Yeah the split is important. I'm not sure which area you have covered most, whether the beginning of war or end of war. If you got good notes on both then just quickly revise them all tonight.
    If you got notes on only 1, then just concentrate on the 1 section you got. And then maybe just look quickly thru some flash cards on the other, JUST IN CASE the 'split' between the 2 areas will not be there. But I am confident enough that this split will be for the Depth Studies.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the split is important. I'm not sure which area you have covered most, whether the beginning of war or end of war. If you got good notes on both then just quickly revise them all tonight.
    If you got notes on only 1, then just concentrate on the 1 section you got. And then maybe just look quickly thru some flash cards on the other, JUST IN CASE the 'split' between the 2 areas will not be there. But I am confident enough that this split will be for the Depth Studies.
    Yeah you're right actually, I should do that. Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone taking English as a First Language 0500 tomorrow? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solark)
    Yeah, but if you've done well on your coursework don't bother studying for it!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am - it is the reading passages.
    We did coursework so that pushes the marks up.

Honestly, there is not much you can study for the reading passages for english lang.
    Only advice I can give you is to be very careful when picking the 15 things for Q3, and make sure you mention all 15 things inthe summary, and keep the summary to the word limit!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing computer science, French and history.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also take CIE IGCSE's:
    English lit
    Chemistry (extended)
    Physics (extended)
    Business studies
    ICT
    And im also taking Edexcel IGCSE's:
    Maths higher
    Geography
    DT (Resistant materials)

Do you guys have any predictions???

ReputationRep:
    What do you think might come up in Q1? My teacher said it's probably gonna be an assesment or news report

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgecosta0781)
    I'm also take CIE IGCSE's:
    English lit
    Chemistry (extended)
    Physics (extended)
    Business studies
    ICT
    And im also taking Edexcel IGCSE's:
    Maths higher
    Geography
    DT (Resistant materials)

Do you guys have any predictions???
    My chemistry MC and paper 6 is starting in under 1 hour.
    Obviously anion and cation identification are gonna be there, as well as identification of gases (co2, o2, hydrogen, ammonia). That is pretty much always.
    Something with electrolysis for MC and Paper 6 is also expected. Get ready.

Lastly, writing an experiment for getting crystals could come up.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am - it is the reading passages.
    We did coursework so that pushes the marks up.

Honestly, there is not much you can study for the reading passages for english lang.
    Only advice I can give you is to be very careful when picking the 15 things for Q3, and make sure you mention all 15 things inthe summary, and keep the summary to the word limit!
    Im having such an issue with the word limit, im either below it or way above it! And also the time allowed for that many tasks is ridiculous my arm is numb after the exam cause im speeding between the questions

ReputationRep:
    Im having such an issue with the word limit, im either below it or way above it! And also the time allowed for that many tasks is ridiculous my arm is numb after the exam cause im speeding between the questions
    There is some tips I gathered from doing Past papers for language and from my teacher:
    Firstly, for time management:
    do it like this: Q1 - spend 48min, Q2 - spend 24min, Q3 - spend 48min
    Start by doing Q3, then Q1, then Q2

Do question 2 last because firstly it is worth the least amount of points, secondly you can do it quickly and thirdly doing it last means you already understand the 2 texts so you can do it much quicker.

For the word limit, try putting 2 of the 15points into each sentence you do.
    Also don't make fancy 3line introductions or transitions into next points.
    Just go straight on - first point BOOM, second point BOOM ,etc
    This way you get it all done quickly. And possibly you will lose 1mark for 'bad' style but you are garanteed min 4/5 ifyou include all 15points with 2 points in each sentence. Another benefit of doing 2 points per sentence is that you finish it much much much more quicker, so you get more time for Q1 and Q2

ReputationRep:
    There is some tips I gathered from doing Past papers for language and from my teacher:
    Firstly, for time management:
    do it like this: Q1 - spend 48min, Q2 - spend 24min, Q3 - spend 48min
    Start by doing Q3, then Q1, then Q2

Do question 2 last because firstly it is worth the least amount of points, secondly you can do it quickly and thirdly doing it last means you already understand the 2 texts so you can do it much quicker.

For the word limit, try putting 2 of the 15points into each sentence you do.
    Also don't make fancy 3line introductions or transitions into next points.
    Just go straight on - first point BOOM, second point BOOM ,etc
    This way you get it all done quickly. And possibly you will lose 1mark for 'bad' style but you are garanteed min 4/5 ifyou include all 15points with 2 points in each sentence. Another benefit of doing 2 points per sentence is that you finish it much much much more quicker, so you get more time for Q1 and Q2
    Great advice! Thanks a lot and good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Great advice! Thanks a lot and good luck tomorrow
    Good luck, we got this

ReputationRep:
    kinda scared for CIE english lang tomorrow. I'm doing 0522. I'm rly hoping we get a diary/journal, rather than a newspaper. I doubt we'd get a letter because my timezone had a letter last year and a newspaper the year before so... I'm rly hoping its not a formal report bc I've never written one

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.