Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official cie igcse 2017 may/june thread + predictions Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so do you think there will be a question on weimar republic this year ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retslick)
    100% both League of Nations and Road to War are coming up
    how are 100% sure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxlr)
    how are 100% sure?
    There needs to be 2 pre-war topics and ToV is in paper 2 so it can't be in paper 1

ReputationRep:
    yeah I have CIE english language and CIE history tomorrow. For History I'm pretty sure League will turn up, but that's just my guess. I have a feeling cold war might come up cos I haven't seen that in any recent past papers. Hoping that there is hitler's territorial gains in the 30s though, maybe vietnam too

ReputationRep:
    any predictions on paper 2 question 1 for english language tomorrow ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths1409)
    kinda scared for CIE english lang tomorrow. I'm doing 0522. I'm rly hoping we get a diary/journal, rather than a newspaper. I doubt we'd get a letter because my timezone had a letter last year and a newspaper the year before so... I'm rly hoping its not a formal report bc I've never written one
    Assessment (formal) report is hard in the sense that your language has to be all neaty and formal throughout the piece you write :/ id love a talk or an interview though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxlr)
    any predictions on paper 2 question 1 for english language tomorrow ?
    I have a feeling it will be a report of some kind

ReputationRep:
    What's the chances of causes of ww1 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m!ek)
    did anyone do the french listening and writing yesterday and how did they feel it went?
    Listening wasn't too hard in my opinion. A few difficult questions towards the end but the first three sections were, as you expect, pretty much free marks - the odd mistake here and there perhaps.

The writing topics were good as well, I chose the house one. I made a few mistakes in hindsight but I also included a subjunctive and two present participle so I hope they gain me the marks I need for 27+/30.

The question two writing wasn't hard but I felt like the first bullet, about the food you eat at home and school, was much more substantial than the others.

Not too bad in my opinion. How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomMC1)
    Yes I am - it is the reading passages.
    We did coursework so that pushes the marks up.

Honestly, there is not much you can study for the reading passages for english lang.
    Only advice I can give you is to be very careful when picking the 15 things for Q3, and make sure you mention all 15 things inthe summary, and keep the summary to the word limit!
    True, however you do not need to worry about the world limit, it is completely irrelevant. It is only to give an idea to students who are struggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solark)
    I have a feeling it will be a report of some kind
    It's legit haunting me. I've had 3 nightmares about this exam alr, tonight will probably be the fourth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judo12345)
    True, however you do not need to worry about the world limit, it is completely irrelevant. It is only to give an idea to students who are struggling.
    One of my classmates who did english paper last year went over the word limit. It wasn't even that much, he included all the points, was well structured and got just 3/5. It may be the examier was just too harsh but i wouldnt risk it.
    Of course if you go over the word limit, don't dwell on it but just keep it in mind. That's the best advice I can give generally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe-Mac)
    yeah I have CIE english language and CIE history tomorrow. For History I'm pretty sure League will turn up, but that's just my guess. I have a feeling cold war might come up cos I haven't seen that in any recent past papers. Hoping that there is hitler's territorial gains in the 30s though, maybe vietnam too
    and oops I just realised I'm acc doing 0500 not 0522

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the listening cd topics for english as a second lang ??????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brumafriend)
    Listening wasn't too hard in my opinion. A few difficult questions towards the end but the first three sections were, as you expect, pretty much free marks - the odd mistake here and there perhaps.

The writing topics were good as well, I chose the house one. I made a few mistakes in hindsight but I also included a subjunctive and two present participle so I hope they gain me the marks I need for 27+/30.

The question two writing wasn't hard but I felt like the first bullet, about the food you eat at home and school, was much more substantial than the others.

Not too bad in my opinion. How did you find it?
    I found the listening pretty much the same as you but found the writing tasks for q3 so boring - all about where you live. But I answered the house one too and also used the subjunctive and hoping for a high mark. Although, I'm worried I went over the word limit because some people say j'ai is two words and some say it's one but if it's two then I'm screwed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m!ek)
    I found the listening pretty much the same as you but found the writing tasks for q3 so boring - all about where you live. But I answered the house one too and also used the subjunctive and hoping for a high mark. Although, I'm worried I went over the word limit because some people say j'ai is two words and some say it's one but if it's two then I'm screwed
    Don't worry. The examiner used to have to stop marking after the word limit ended. Now they don't have to but if you go over a lot they probably will. As long as your main piece of writing is good you can still drop no marks as a result of writing too much I believe and if your writing is interesting enough they probably won't pay any attention to the word count.

ReputationRep:
    I'm super nervous for English language later 😬😬😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    FOR q2 English would you write a point before you rite your quote and analysis for each of your 8 paragraphs, or would you just go straight in with the quote and analysis ?

ReputationRep:
    for the math 0580
    what was the probability answer 24 or 13 ?

ReputationRep:
    go in straight with the analysis
    Dont do PEE
    DO QME
    quote meaning effect

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.