Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it annoying to message someone every day? Watch

ReputationRep:
    From a dating standpoint, would this be annoying? I just met a girl and I want to get to know her more. I only know her through a friend so I haven't really met her properly. My plan is to get talking and build up some momentum with her before asking her out. Is this clingy or annoying to message her every day to engage in a conversation?

Should I wait for her to initiate first or give it a few days break?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darren A)
    From a dating standpoint, would this be annoying? I just met a girl and I want to get to know her more. I only know her through a friend so I haven't really met her properly. My plan is to get talking and build up some momentum with her before asking her out. Is this clingy or annoying to message her every day to engage in a conversation?

My advice would be to try and speak to her in person if possible. Messages are cold and meaningless and, yes, a bit annoying.

I've blocked guys who messaged me every day because it has started to feel like harrassment. This is particularly true if you don't know someone. The occasional message is ok, but every day is just creepy.

ReputationRep:

It depends how she's responding, are her messages short or does she try and keep the convo going? If its frequently the former, you should probably wait a few days
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Depends how she responds. I've had someone do it and it's annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that if you're getting to know each other before a date and you're interested in her, I wouldn't call it unusual. You're supposed to talk it out before a date. Don't stress about it so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Depends how she responds. I've had someone do it and it's annoying.
    (Original post by Kiimii)
    It depends how she's responding, are her messages short or does she try and keep the convo going? If its frequently the former, you should probably wait a few days
    She seems interested to talk, asking questions and making jokes and keeping the conversation going. I just don't want to ruin things by coming across as needy as I have initiated the past few conversations.

ReputationRep:
    She seems interested to talk, asking questions and making jokes and keeping the conversation going. I just don't want to ruin things by coming across as needy as I have initiated the past few conversations.
    Thats a good sign then! How long do you wait before the convo ends and you start a new one? If she's keeping it going she probably is interested, to talk at least, but maybe she's just too busy to be the first to start a convo? you could wait anyway and see if she starts the next convo, which would be a good sign

ReputationRep:
    I mean, if the girl is fine with it and texts you back with interest, then yeah absolutely, keep the texts going.

If not, then don't bother.

Had a 210-ish days snap streak with someone I knew who wasn't my gf, so yeah, it can be possible to keep messaging someone for that long.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.