Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstybee2)
    Hello.

I have a place for nursing 2017 start. I currently am 19 and work full time I live with my grandparents and dad. Do i have to put my income the whole house or just my dads income? Also my dad does not work so how will i find out his income from the tax year? . Thanks
    Hi Kirsty,

It would just be your Dad's income we would take into account. The tax year we would be looking for this year would be the 15/16 year. Your Dad would provide us with any income from taxable benefits, salary/wages, self employment etc.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicrosie)
    Can you get a higher loan if you're parent will be supporting 3 children at university at once or is there any other financial help I can get as I am on the lowest loan. This means I may not be able to go to uni as I will need to pay around £1,500 on top of the loan to cover accommodation and then I will need to find some more money for food. Due to having 2 siblings currently at uni, my parent cannot afford me as well.
    Hi,

When we assess your application to see what you are entitled to we take into account any other sibling in receipt of Student Finance. The assessment is still based on your parents income details. There is no other funding that is available other than what is awarded.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hello SFE,

Why are parents asked to provide the income of their dependent children, i.e. the student's siblings? Is this information part of the household income?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erin SFE)
    Hi,

if you are not able to provide the evidence for your residency/status then you can write a letter and advise us of this and we can request a home office check. We will not do this unless we are told by the student they do not have the evidence.

If you have home office documents then we advise the original to be sent to us to review.

Thanks.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Is there any additional student loans you can get if your maintenance loan doesn't even cover your rent?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    When we apply, do we have to have our student bank accounts sorted, or is the application to process us ready for the academic year? Or do we need to have our student accounts sorted before we apply for student finance?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for getting back to me!

What happens if I make an application late considering that I am still waiting for my offers, do I still get the original amount?

Also what happens if I withdraw from the course from my behalf but the university hasn't given me the withdrawal form in time to meet the student finance application deadline?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    when can I apply for POSTGRADUATE loans for 2017/2018? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kirsty,

It would just be your Dad's income we would take into account. The tax year we would be looking for this year would be the 15/16 year. Your Dad would provide us with any income from taxable benefits, salary/wages, self employment etc.

Thanks.
    Thank you does my income not matter as I am under 25?

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what I'm eligible for because I'm in a bit of a confusing situation.

In Sept 2015 I went to uni and didn't enjoy my course, however I used a one year of my student finance. After I left, I was asked to pay around £1000 to Student Finance due to the time I left university. I started paying them back via direct debit, however during this time I moved out. Turns out after three months the payments were stopped and they tried to get in contact with me by post, unfortunately I forgot to change my address on the student finance website. This was the only way they tried to contact me, eventually I got round to changing my address on their website as I was preparing to go back to university. However by this stage they had a third party debt collector involved, and I'm now paying the debt collector monthly on behalf of student finance.

So my question is, if I pay off the money to the third party debt collector in time for applying for September, will I receive my three years of student finance?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If you are doing a graduate entry Dentistry course the funding would be as follows:
    Year 1
    Maintenance Loan and partial tuition fee loan of up to £5535 the first £3465 is self funded.
    Year 2-4
    Reduced rate maintenance loan Students can also apply for the NHS bursary, therefore the NHS will pay the first £3,465 of the tuition charge. A partial tuition fee loan of up to £5,535 is then available to meet the difference between £3,465 and the tuition fee charged.

If you are doing an undergraduate Dentistry course the funding would be as follows:

Year 1-4
    Maintenance loan only, no tuition fees due to equivalent level qualification.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    So even though I've never had a student loan I'm not eligible for one? That seems a bit unfair. Do you know of any companies/banks that offer them? I'm going to struggle to find £9250 a year otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstybee2)
    Hello.

I have a place for nursing 2017 start. I currently am 19 and work full time I live with my grandparents and dad. Do i have to put my income the whole house or just my dads income? Also my dad does not work so how will i find out his income from the tax year? . Thanks
    Hi Kirsty

We only require your father's income. For academic year 2017/18 we need his income for the tax year 2015/16.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Dear Student Room Concerning Finance and Attendance

There has been changes concerning payments from stf dependant on the students attendance, which is leaving the vulnerable to fail.

As the student should not be put in the predicament to concentrate solely on how to scheme our public transport, they should be concentrating on their subjects of study.

Taking myself last year.
    I was last paid in September, but before that in paid in April.

Could it not be recommended that the student receive some payments solely for transport, so they may show they are inspired to attend rather than be put in the position against the legalalities of the transport system.

This is for those who are not on campus.

At this very moment, I use my loan and maintenance payments to pay most of my rent, but now in deep arrears till am paid.
    I have a court appearance next week for eviction.
    I am hoping I can pay before this date.

I always have paid my rent over the 10 years I have had my council home.

All is against the student who not only wants to better themselves, but also the naition and the world.

How will our colleges and the stf better support their students, now and in the future?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going through the information for student finance and am confused as to details about household income. I don't live with my parents but currently with my nan and have been for the past year and i'm not financially dependent on either of my parents but am still in contact with them. Who's household income do I enter on the financial support forms? Can't find an answer anywhere so hope this can help me.

Many Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhavika437)
    Thank you for getting back to me!

What happens if I make an application late considering that I am still waiting for my offers, do I still get the original amount?

Also what happens if I withdraw from the course from my behalf but the university hasn't given me the withdrawal form in time to meet the student finance application deadline?
    You don't have to wait until you've officially chosen a firm choice to apply for finance - just apply with your best guess of where you're likely to end up and if that changes notify SFE online.

It's better to apply on time and switch the university/course later than to apply after the deadline. If you apply after the deadline then you risk not getting your payments on time.

You don't need to have withdrawn from a current university in order to apply elsewhere or apply for finance.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please respond to this post on eligibility for a tuition fee loan for architectue as a second degree: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6&postcount=18

(Original post by PQ)
    (Original post by Stephanie Bell)
    Hi,

I believe you could be entitled to full funding as architecture is one of our exception courses so we would not take your previous study into account.

In general students studying the 5 year degree (RIBA Parts 1 and 2) are entitled to apply for full support from Student Loans Company (SLC). If you are returning to do Part 2 (RIBA2) of your course, you will be accepted for funding providing you completed the RIBA part 1 and did not withdraw. You must start RIBA part 2 within 3 years of completing RIBA part 1 in order to retain your original cohort and be classed as a returning student.

I would advise calling us on 0300 100 0607 as more information will be required in order to confirm eligibility details.
    Would exemption mean that students studying architecture as a second degree would get tuition AND maintenance loan? My understanding was that although ELQ wouldn't count previous study years would be deducted from tuition loan entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently in my 3rd year at university studying Human Biology. I'd like to progress onto a graduate medicine course, however, I am unaware of what (if any) funding would be available to me? Also, I missed the application for a 2017 start so I have a 'spare' year where I have a few options of pursuing during this time. One of these options is a 1 year masters in biomedical science or molecular medicine. Would this affect the previously mentioned funding? as I would need funding for the masters too.

Thank you,
    TJ

ReputationRep:
    I used to study adult nursing but I failed my final year. I was previously funded by NHS bursary can I apply for radiography course instead

ReputationRep:
    I used to study adult nursing but I failed my final year. I was previously funded by NHS bursary can I apply for radiography course instead with funding from student finance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I missed the previous study 'clinic' this afternoon so hope it's okay to ask here:

I graduated with a BA(hons) in 2010 and have now been accepted into a BSc Adult Nursing course starting in Sept. I understand I am entitled to tuition fee loans for this (due to the removal of bursaries), but am I also entitled to maintenance loans?

Thank you in advance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.