Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Temporary absence outside the UK doesn't affect your eligibility - you just need to be able to prove that your time outside the UK was temporary (usually through providing visa/employment contracts that are for a fixed period of time OR through proving that your family maintained a UK residence/paid taxes/etc )
    Unfortunately, I have been working on a permanent contract of employment outside the UK (not fixed term or temporary) and paid my taxes in the country of employment. Also, we do not have property in the UK (although shall have soon). We have only kept bank accounts in the UK and maintained contact with family. Would this rule out the possibility of qualifying for any support, even though a British citizen and permanently re-locating home?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conservation2017)
    I was just wondering what I'm eligible for because I'm in a bit of a confusing situation.

In Sept 2015 I went to uni and didn't enjoy my course, however I used a one year of my student finance. After I left, I was asked to pay around £1000 to Student Finance due to the time I left university. I started paying them back via direct debit, however during this time I moved out. Turns out after three months the payments were stopped and they tried to get in contact with me by post, unfortunately I forgot to change my address on the student finance website. This was the only way they tried to contact me, eventually I got round to changing my address on their website as I was preparing to go back to university. However by this stage they had a third party debt collector involved, and I'm now paying the debt collector monthly on behalf of student finance.

So my question is, if I pay off the money to the third party debt collector in time for applying for September, will I receive my three years of student finance?
    Hi Conservation2017

If you have cleared the arrears you will be able to get full funding, providing you only used 1 year of study.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJR92)
    So even though I've never had a student loan I'm not eligible for one? That seems a bit unfair. Do you know of any companies/banks that offer them? I'm going to struggle to find £9250 a year otherwise.
    Hi ARJ92

I would advise you to speak with the study provider to see if there is any other funding available to you.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeffrey Valerie)
    Dear Student Room Concerning Finance and Attendance

There has been changes concerning payments from stf dependant on the students attendance, which is leaving the vulnerable to fail.

As the student should not be put in the predicament to concentrate solely on how to scheme our public transport, they should be concentrating on their subjects of study.

Taking myself last year.
    I was last paid in September, but before that in paid in April.

Could it not be recommended that the student receive some payments solely for transport, so they may show they are inspired to attend rather than be put in the position against the legalalities of the transport system.

This is for those who are not on campus.

At this very moment, I use my loan and maintenance payments to pay most of my rent, but now in deep arrears till am paid.
    I have a court appearance next week for eviction.
    I am hoping I can pay before this date.

I always have paid my rent over the 10 years I have had my council home.

All is against the student who not only wants to better themselves, but also the naition and the world.

How will our colleges and the stf better support their students, now and in the future?
    Hi Jeffrey

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. We are only able to help with costs are regulated by the Department of Education.
    You could check if the university offers a bursary at all or if they know of any other help to you.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megansimpson2)
    Hi, I'm going through the information for student finance and am confused as to details about household income. I don't live with my parents but currently with my nan and have been for the past year and i'm not financially dependent on either of my parents but am still in contact with them. Who's household income do I enter on the financial support forms? Can't find an answer anywhere so hope this can help me.

Many Thanks
    Hi megansimpson2

If you are under 25, we still ask you to provide parent/s details. If they live together we would ask for both, if separate then whatever parent you would normally live with or have most contact (and their partner if applicable).
    If you have supported yourself for 3 years, you can request to be deemed as independent.
    Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabaAndrew)
    Unfortunately, I have been working on a permanent contract of employment outside the UK (not fixed term or temporary) and paid my taxes in the country of employment. Also, we do not have property in the UK (although shall have soon). We have only kept bank accounts in the UK and maintained contact with family. Would this rule out the possibility of qualifying for any support, even though a British citizen and permanently re-locating home?
    Which country where you working in?

If it was in the EEC (the EU + a few other european countries including Switzerland) then you would be eligible.

If it was outside the EEC did you have a fixed term visa to allow you to work there?

If not then it may be worth applying (ordinary residence is quite flexible in some cases depending on what ties you kept with the UK (regular trips back, bank accounts etc would count in your favour)).

If you're not successful this year then moving back and establishing yourself in the UK during a gap year might be enough to prove that the absence was temporary and you've now permanently returned to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomDavJones)
    Hello,

I'm currently in my 3rd year at university studying Human Biology. I'd like to progress onto a graduate medicine course, however, I am unaware of what (if any) funding would be available to me? Also, I missed the application for a 2017 start so I have a 'spare' year where I have a few options of pursuing during this time. One of these options is a 1 year masters in biomedical science or molecular medicine. Would this affect the previously mentioned funding? as I would need funding for the masters too.

Thank you,
    TJ
    Hi TomDavJones

You would be able to apply for a postgraduate loan if you went down the Masters route.

If you decided to do graduate entry medicine you can apply for a partial fee loan in year 1, but must pay the rest yourself.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cisakpa11)
    I used to study adult nursing but I failed my final year. I was previously funded by NHS bursary can I apply for radiography course instead with funding from student finance.
    Hi cisakpa11

If you did not gain the qualification you should be eligible to reapply as this is an exception course. The funding is now provided through Student Finance England instead of the NHS so you apply to us.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatestnerd)
    Hi, I missed the previous study 'clinic' this afternoon so hope it's okay to ask here:

I graduated with a BA(hons) in 2010 and have now been accepted into a BSc Adult Nursing course starting in Sept. I understand I am entitled to tuition fee loans for this (due to the removal of bursaries), but am I also entitled to maintenance loans?

Thank you in advance
    Hi Greatestnerd

As this is an exceptions course you will be able to get full funding from ourselves as these are not longer funded by the NHS.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your questions everyone!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.