Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Are you a parent with a question regarding student finance? Ask it here!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm a single parent, I'm hoping to apply for PGCE next year in biology. Would the bursary count as income for housing benefits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daynashearman)
    Hi I'm a single parent, I'm hoping to apply for PGCE next year in biology. Would the bursary count as income for housing benefits?
    Hi,

As we do not provide the bursary for PGCE courses, you would be best to speak to housing benefit, as they would be able to advise if this would affect it.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student Money Week 2017)

Hi

I have recently been widowed and will be due a non taxable death payment and a pension lump sum that is also non taxable. Do these count towards income?
    And do I lump them into income or somewhere else on the form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandy1000)
    Hi

I have recently been widowed and will be due a non taxable death payment and a pension lump sum that is also non taxable. Do these count towards income?
    And do I lump them into income or somewhere else on the form
    HI,

We would not take these into consideration as they are non taxable. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi my name is Magdalene dodo my son is a first year at Kent university in England and he is currently unable to pay is Accomodation fees. We are from Ireland and have only been living here for three years, my son has attempted many different options but to no avail. Is there any solution that you can offer us as we are desperate.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradI)
    Hi my name is Magdalene dodo my son is a first year at Kent university in England and he is currently unable to pay is Accomodation fees. We are from Ireland and have only been living here for three years, my son has attempted many different options but to no avail. Is there any solution that you can offer us as we are desperate.
    https://www.kent.ac.uk/finance-stude...anagement.html

For students experiencing difficulty on making payment assistance can be sought at the University:
    * Bursaries and financial assistance are available on application to the Financial Aid Office and the International Office, where appropriate.
    * Kent Union’s Advice Team can provide financial advice and counselling to students with difficulties.
    *The Income Office (Canterbury Students) staff are available to speak to regarding options available to pay including instalment plans where appropriate. They must be informed of any difficulties in payment and any involvement of other areas of assistance.

It also says they'll only look at eviction is he hasn't paid 25% of the terms accommodation fees - so prioritising that payment will be a good idea. But they'll still start to look at getting money via the courts if he's paid less than 60% of the terms fees...so again if he can manage to get up to that amount then he'll give himself the time and space to come up with a payment agreement with the university while looking for funding and income from other sources.

It's worth lookin on https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk...637.1486562666 to see if he's eligible for any charitable grants/loans and support if the university hardship funding isn't able to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student Money Week 2017)
    Hi, My son is currently in the USA on a temporary student visa (since September 16) however due to a change in circumstances is now applying to UK universities with a view to starting an undergraduate degree in Sept 17. My question is will he be eligible to apply for student finance despite the temporary absence and having started a course in the US (prior to this break he has lived his whole life in England having completed A'levels in June 16). Many thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebeverity)
    Hi, My son is currently in the USA on a temporary student visa (since September 16) however due to a change in circumstances is now applying to UK universities with a view to starting an undergraduate degree in Sept 17. My question is will he be eligible to apply for student finance despite the temporary absence and having started a course in the US (prior to this break he has lived his whole life in England having completed A'levels in June 16). Many thanks
    Temporary stays abroad don't affect eligibility. He might be asked to provide evidence that the stay was temporary (a visa would be the usual thing).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your questions!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.