Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much weight can i lose? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    Really? Wow. So i can have coco pops in the morning which is like 400 cals? Every morning?
    ....jesus how many co-co pops are you eating? 400 calories is above the serving size :lol: you could maybe cut the serving down to make it lower calorie?

But yeah sure, so long as you are eating under your TDEE you will lose weight, because your body needs to get the energy from somewhere, so it utilises your energy stores (fat).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    ....jesus how many co-co pops are you eating? 400 calories is above the serving size :lol: you could maybe cut the serving down to make it lower calorie?

But yeah sure, so long as you are eating under your TDEE you will lose weight, because your body needs to get the energy from somewhere, so it utilises your energy stores (fat).
    How do i find out my TDEE?
    And yeah i eat a lot of coco pops because they taste good and give me energy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Sorry to correct you, but you said: '20lb on this plan' - your original quote is below highlighted in red:

I'm sure you will lose the weight with a sensible plan and sufficient time, and I wish you all the best with it
    I thought you meant my goal but yeah thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I think you may need to do other exercise other than jogging for 30 minutes. You will get bored of it very quickly.

Eat in moderation (under your TDEE) but if you really want to stick at it, view it as a lifestyle change, not just a diet. Diets are fads.

ReputationRep:
    How do i find out my TDEE?
    And yeah i eat a lot of coco pops because they taste good and give me energy
    Just google TDEE calculator, in put your height, weight, gender, activity level (be completely honest about that, when trying to lose weight is is better to underestimate) and age. Some will ask for body fat percentage this just makes it a bit more accurate, but if you don't know them just use a different calculator.

And like I said eating 500 calories less than your TDEE per day you should lose approximately 1lb of fat per week (this is because 1lb of fat contains about 3500 calories in stored energy, divide by 7 days = 500). It may not work like clockwork because bodies just don't, and it is only approximate as TDEE is not 100% accurate and some weight loss will be from muscle (less so if you eat enough protein and get adequate exercise) and fluid loss. But it's accurate enough for it to work in general.

ReputationRep:
    Just google TDEE calculator, in put your height, weight, gender, activity level (be completely honest about that, when trying to lose weight is is better to underestimate) and age. Some will ask for body fat percentage this just makes it a bit more accurate, but if you don't know them just use a different calculator.

And like I said eating 500 calories less than your TDEE per day you should lose approximately 1lb of fat per week (this is because 1lb of fat contains about 3500 calories in stored energy, divide by 7 days = 500). It may not work like clockwork because bodies just don't, and it is only approximate as TDEE is not 100% accurate and some weight loss will be from muscle (less so if you eat enough protein and get adequate exercise) and fluid loss. But it's accurate enough for it to work in general.
    It says my maintenance calorie is 2,170 so 1,430 is what i should be consuming rn?

ReputationRep:
    It says my maintenance calorie is 2,170 so 1,430 is what i should be consuming rn?
    If you want to lose about 1lb per week and you can eat at that level happily and sustain-ably then yes, it's definitely a heck of a lot better than the diet you are currently proposing.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to lose about 1lb per week and you can eat at that level happily and sustain-ably then yes, it's definitely a heck of a lot better than the diet you are currently proposing.
    Wait, what do you mean? Is that too much?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, what do you mean? Is that too much?
    Exactly what I said.

if 1lb per week is a weight loss rate you are happy with, and if that is enough calories for you to be able to eat happily and sustainably. Then it is good for YOU.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I said.

if 1lb per week is a weight loss rate you are happy with, and if that is enough calories for you to be able to eat happily and sustainably. Then it is good for YOU.
    Obviously, i would like to lose more but if that's the healthy way then its the best way

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, i would like to lose more but if that's the healthy way then its the best way
    1lb per week for a woman (because men burn more calories than women they can lose more weight sustainably) is a good rate of weight loss. I think you may be being a little bit too impatient. And being impatient when it comes to weight is a recipe for disaster. This is lifestyle change, not a crash diet.

I would not advise going lower than 1200 calories, not at your height (and the vast majority of people's heights). It would not only be unsustainable for weight loss for you, but you probably would not be getting enough nutrients let alone energy that your body requires which would make it not healthy.

ReputationRep:
    1lb per week for a woman (because men burn more calories than women they can lose more weight sustainably) is a good rate of weight loss. I think you may be being a little bit too impatient. And being impatient when it comes to weight is a recipe for disaster. This is lifestyle change, not a crash diet.

I would not advise going lower than 1200 calories, not at your height (and the vast majority of people's heights). It would not only be unsustainable for weight loss for you, but you probably would not be getting enough nutrients let alone energy that your body requires which would make it not healthy.
    thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Want to lose weight?

In short - protein, plenty of water and consistent exercise. Do all of that and just give it time.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you're falling into the trap of wanting to lose too much too quickly. It took a long time to the weight on, so it will take a long time to get rid of it. Setting extreme and boring diet/exercise regimes might work for a week or two, but eventually you'll fail and go back to your old habits.

Start the first week or so on a 250 calorie deficit so you can get used to controlling what you eat without cutting loads out, then move to 500 for the rest. The key is consistency, even if you have one bad "cheat day" go back to your diet the next and the effect will be minimal.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, wow. I'm female.
    And uhm cause i'm messed up like that.
    Why the 'wow'? Am I light for my size or sumthin?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Why the 'wow'? Am I light for my size or sumthin?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Yes
    I know, I just wanted to hear it. I'm 'normal' weight but I am very much on the thin side.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I know, I just wanted to hear it. I'm 'normal' weight but I am very much on the thin side.
    Yeah you aren't really really light. Just a bit on the thin side. I'm 4/5 inches shorter and wasn't fat when i was your weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Yeah you aren't really really light. Just a bit on the thin side. I'm 4/5 inches shorter and wasn't fat when i was your weight.
    My bmi is like 19/20. Normal weight, but not by much.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My bmi is like 19/20. Normal weight, but not by much.
    Yeah fine. I used to have a bmi of 17/18 pre-lifting lol but around 21 these days. Don't check bmi seriously now as i'm the same bf as before pretty much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.