Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are a lot of people Islamophobic? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    I said relative peace... I would link the list of wars the UK has been in since the 1700's but unfortunately the list is too long to post here.
    Great Britain (the UK was founded in 1801) was involved in wars throughout the world, not in a specific area. Between 1500 and 1850, the Middle East witnessed 80 years of war (and I didn't count the numerous revolts within the Ottoman Empire).

ReputationRep:
    Killing an animal by slicing it's neck is a very humane way to kill it. The animal loses consciousness very quickly and it's painless providing the knife used is incredibly sharp.
    Well that's bullsh*t, unless it's stunned. If it isn't stunned, then it's not humane at all.

Compare that to chicken on a conveyor belt that fall into a spinning grinder which may end up grinding them feet first. And large cattle and shot in the head with an electric bolt which sometimes doesn't stun correctly and leaves the animal suffering and going into shock.
    In other words, instant. Chickens are also often passed through electrical water baths to stun them before being killed.

Regarding cattle, there is no way you can argue that it is more cruel than slitting it's throat. At least it's rendered unconscious (and thus pain-free), rather than having to feel the blood gushing out of its throat.

At least when you eat halal meat you know the animal was killed with respect, dignity and the blessings of Allah.
    Well, that's a matter of opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amazon_Lover)
    I dont understand why
    "believe and do not doubt"

rings a bell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Count Bezukhov)
    Well that's bullsh*t, unless it's stunned. If it isn't stunned, then it's not humane at all.
    Ask any person who cuts themselves with a knife if it hurts or not. A very sharp blade will just slice through the carotid artery and cause no pain, just slight discomfort and then they lose consciousness quickly.

Jagged blades are what cause pain.

In other words, instant. Chickens are also often passed through electrical water baths to stun them before being killed.
    It's not instant when you have 10 chickens at a time falling into the grinder so they bounce around a little catching their feet and wings first.

ReputationRep:
    Ask any person who cuts themselves with a knife if it hurts or not. A very sharp blade will just slice through the carotid artery and cause no pain, just slight discomfort and then they lose consciousness quickly.

Jagged blades are what cause pain.

It's not instant when you have 10 chickens at a time falling into the grinder so they bounce around a little catching their feet and wings first.
    So if you had your throat slit with a sharp knife, do you honestly think you would feel no more than "slight discomfort"? It's not a movie, having your throat slit in the real world is in no way instantaneous. The blade being jagged may cause more pain, if it's slower to make the cut, but the pain comes from the body having damaged tissue. It will hurt, a lot, no matter what it is cut with. If it is done without prior stunning then it's barbaric and needs to be outlawed.

The chickens go in one by one, on a conveyor belt. By the time they've realised they've touched the grinder, they're already dead (i.e. they don't get chance to realise). The grinder moves incredibly fast; there isn't time to "bounce around".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Count Bezukhov)
    So if you had your throat slit with a sharp knife, do you honestly think you would feel no more than "slight discomfort"? It's not a movie, having your throat slit in the real world is in no way instantaneous. The blade being jagged may cause more pain, if it's slower to make the cut, but the pain comes from the body having damaged tissue. It will hurt, a lot, no matter what it is cut with. If it is done without prior stunning then it's barbaric and needs to be outlawed.
    No.

The chickens go in one by one, on a conveyor belt. By the time they've realised they've touched the grinder, they're already dead (i.e. they don't get chance to realise). The grinder moves incredibly fast; there isn't time to "bounce around".
    I suggest you watch some animal factory abuse videos, it's despicable.

ReputationRep:
    No.

I suggest you watch some animal factory abuse videos, it's despicable.
    No? As in, you think it would be a relatively painless experience? Seriously, in what way can you possibly believe this?

I have seen videos, and they showed the chickens going in one-by-one. If you watched videos of illegal practises, then I agree that it's despicable and there are laws against animal abuse precisely for this reason. As I stated above, chickens are often also stunned in legal practises.

ReputationRep:
    Killing an animal by slicing it's neck is a very humane way to kill it. The animal loses consciousness very quickly and it's painless providing the knife used is incredibly sharp.

Compare that to chicken on a conveyor belt that fall into a spinning grinder which may end up grinding them feet first. And large cattle and shot in the head with an electric bolt which sometimes doesn't stun correctly and leaves the animal suffering and going into shock.

At least when you eat halal meat you know the animal was killed with respect, dignity and the blessings of Allah.

So you've experienced this then ? This is your second life or maybe third and you've been a number of different animals - been killed for your meat a number of times and now - you are back to report ? Correct..

ReputationRep:
    Milo Yiannopoulos has some good points.

ReputationRep:
    Media hype, easy. Most people live alongside Muslims just fine and don't regard them as some huge danger 'cos they aren't. Terrorism is an insignificant cause of death in the West. I don't have the numbers right now but I'm pretty sure it's such an insignificant part that is not even worth talking about. It's just high profile and it sells that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Media hype, easy. Most people live alongside Muslims just fine and don't regard them as some huge danger 'cos they aren't. Terrorism is an insignificant cause of death in the West. I don't have the numbers right now but I'm pretty sure it's such an insignificant part that is not even worth talking about. It's just high profile and it sells that's it.
    The fact that this number is greater than zero is a problem. The idea that all Muslims are terrorists is completely inaccurate, but so is the view that there isn't a problem in the Islamic community with radicalisation. Most recent terror attacks are the result of Islamic extremism, and such attacks have justification in the Qur'an, and in many cases polls have shown that a worryingly large proportion of Muslims are at least sympathetic to the cause of attackers, even if they would never commit an act of terror themselves. People on both sides of the argument blow things out of proportion though. The average Muslim obviously isn't "out to get us" like those on the alt-right would have you believe, but those on the regressive left are equally misguided by denying there are problems in the Islamic community and vilifying those who (rightly) criticise some of the archaic attitudes of the religion towards other groups in society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.