Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    if there are so many terrorists running around trying to kill people, why are there only a handful of attacks per year? .
    because quite a few have been discovered in time and foiled e.g. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7556851.html

our security services have quite an experience in dealing with terrorist groups (IRA, ETA, Red Brigades, Baader/Meinhof), so as soon as terrorists start becoming organised, they become vulnerable. In fact, the only really successful Muslim terrorist group I can think of in Western Europe is the Franco-Belgian group responsible for the Paris and Brussels terror attacks (going back in time, perhaps also the 7/7 London attackers)
    Isolated terrorists stand much better chances of success

Best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zezno)
    you believe all Muslims want to wage war against the world
    do I ?

good heavens, I had not realised. Thanks for informing me

best

(Original post by zezno)
      When did I say I'm in the UK because of oppression in those countries?
      (Original post by zezno)
      Maybe you shouldn't have invaded the Middle East
      :rolleyes:

(Original post by zezno)
      So I'm assuming you also agree with the fact that Muslims should have never travelled to the West.
      No assumptions necessary - I stated my view clearly. How embarrassing for someone who just questioned my literacy...

(Original post by Hydeman)
      The majority of Muslims and other migrants (this has been a rule for migrants throughout history, really) came to better their lives and that of their children. At least the ones that arrived immediately after WW2 were ordinary, decent people with no particular dogmas, religious nationalism especially.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S.olk)
      I think the issue is that the media and our politicians stir up uneccessary fear in people in regards to Islam. No one really wants to find out what Islam is really about-we're kinda just spoon fed with whatever the media gives us-we're passive in accepting all of these narratives that are given to us.
      And what should we say about Islam then? It seems that you were just spoon fed by your parents and relatives and were passive in accepting all the Islamic narratives that were given to you.

(Original post by S.olk)
      In reality Islam and Christianity are very similar but it's easier to scapegoat Muslim's because they don't look like the majority of the Western World. Christianity is the religion of the white man and God forbid we ever criticize the white man (!)
      Really? what is the skin colour of the 400+ million Christians in Africa?

Note: I'm white and despise Christianity as well.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hydeman)
      :rolleyes:

No assumptions necessary - I stated my view clearly. How embarrassing for someone who just questioned my literacy...
      "Maybe you shouldn't have invaded the middle east" was a point I was trying to convey, he replied with "I didn't invade anything", so I asked why was he generalizing all Muslims.

ReputationRep:
      I don't agree with that definition. There is nothing wrong with insulting and criticising Islam, it's just an ideology.

ReputationRep:
      Well the obvious one is parenting. The child spends all the time with the mother while the father is working so Allah swt has entrusted the mother to raise and care for the child. This is a huge responsibility.
      true

but, as far as I know, in the case of a divorce, the woman will lose custody rights if she remarries (with someone not closely related)

the husband can, on the other hand, marry and re-marry to his heart's content (well, in the limits of 4 wives, of course) without losing custody rights

please, correct me if I am wrong

best

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mariachi)
      true

but, as far as I know, in the case of a divorce, the woman will lose custody rights if she remarries (with someone not closely related)
      Pretty much. The mother has more right over the custody of the child before the age of discernment. However I'm sure if the father is ill prepared to care for the child or is abusive this would be taken into account.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Josb)
      And what should we say about Islam then? It seems that you were just spoon fed by your parents and relatives and were passive in accepting all the Islamic narratives that were given to you.
      Im not even Muslim and the point I was trying to make was that rather than looking for the truth and forming conclusions based off of what they have found out, people just take what is given to them by the media and don't even question it.

Really? what is the skin colour of the 400+ million Christians in Africa?

Note: I'm white and despise Christianity as well.[/QUOTE]

Again, you've read the statement wrong-I don't remember a time where Black people in Africa were ever scapegoated. Abused, Disregarded, YES. Scapegoated, NO.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Onde)
      A phobia implies an irrational fear - I don't believe people are in fact Islamophobic. It is an imperialistic religion that admires a warlord, which has a central text full of verses condoning violence, including cutting off the heads and fingertips of unbelievers with the stated purpose of terrorising.
      Well, so does Christianity.

ReputationRep:
      Because it is the more backwards, right-wing, conservative, regressive religion. I don't have a problem with Muslims, it is just their religion.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S.olk)
      Im not even Muslim and the point I was trying to make was that rather than looking for the truth and forming conclusions based off of what they have found out, people just take what is given to them by the media and don't even question it.
      Considering that the media were overwhelmingly against Donald Trump, your statement is wrong. The media are also extremely diverse and cannot be considered as a whole; the Guardian disagrees with The Sun on pretty much anything.

Those who "just take what is give to them without questioning it" are usually religious people.

(Original post by S.olk)
      Again, you've read the statement wrong-I don't remember a time where Black people in Africa were ever scapegoated. Abused, Disregarded, YES. Scapegoated, NO.
      You said "Christianity is the religion of the white man".

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Onde)
      The Old Testament, maybe. But Jesus was not a warlord, and specifically told his followers not to commit acts of violence in this world. That is a huge difference between the qur'an and the New Testament.
      Ah, the classic cop-out.
      http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/05/the...ament-cop-out/

ReputationRep:
      Pretty much. The mother has more right over the custody of the child before the age of discernment. However I'm sure if the father is ill prepared to care for the child or is abusive this would be taken into account.
      aisha, the problem is re-marriage after a divorce

the mother is obliged to remain single if she does not want to lose custody rights (whatever the age of the child)

this is a well-known problem in countries where family matters are judged according to Shariah

I saw a very good Iranian movie about this, called "Nahid" (those are shias, of course, but I believe that sunnis do the same)

a woman has to choose between re-marrying and keeping her child : a dramatic choice

best

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Onde)
      The Old Testament, maybe. But Jesus was not a warlord, and specifically told his followers not to commit acts of violence in this world. That is a huge difference between the qur'an and the New Testament.
      I quite admire the new testament and think the poetry within is beautiful but what about when Jesus said "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mariachi)
      aisha, the problem is re-marriage after a divorce

the mother is obliged to remain single if she does not want to lose custody rights (whatever the age of the child)

this is a well-known problem in countries where family matters are judged according to Shariah

I saw a very good Iranian movie about this, called "Nahid" (those are shias, of course, but I believe that sunnis do the same)

a woman has to choose between re-marrying and keeping her child : a dramatic choice

best
      How do you know that in an islamic court the personal circumstances of the husband is not taken into account?

For example in the west the child by default goes to the mother, unless she is not able to provide the care the child needs or she is abusive etc.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      People are racist af and Muslims are the easy target bc they're often brown and thus they look different. People really don't like difference bc it threatens them and their superiority. I get that you can criticise the religion but not the people, but most people are too stupid and uneducated to distinguish and don't even have the first clue about Islam. I've experienced the effects of Islamophobia and I'm an atheist fgs. :lol: I suppose you can only pity the dumb though.

N.B. I am talking about uneducated *****, not those who validly criticise the teachings and values of Islam. These people can't separate nationality + ethnicity from religion.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Onde)
      I am not a Christian, but even I understand that Jesus meant a spiritual sword, not an actual physical one. He said if his message divided families, and if something caused you to sin, then you were to cut them out of your life. That was his point.
      I can't see him meaning spiritual sword in that quote. :/

ReputationRep:
      How do you know that in an islamic court the personal circumstances of the husband is not taken into account?.
      of course that special circumstances will be taken into account (if the father is a drug addict, or not religious at all etc etc, he won't get custody)

however, by default, the divorced mother loses custody, even of a small child, if she re-marries. The father does not. For me, this discrimination is simply a residue of a strongly patriarchal society : inadequate in our times.

Check e.g. https://islamqa.info/en/153390

Best

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Onde)
      "Or so they say..." - How Hitchens responded to this.

But anyways, isn't this what many of these "critics" do against Islam - pluck out verses and ignore the related ones?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.