Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

#throwbackThursday: A year in news: January 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    A year has gone by, so much has changed, what were you doing a year ago? We took a look back at some of the top threads in News & Current Affairs for January 2016.

Do you back the junior doctors strike?

This seems to have been the question on everybody’s lips last winter, it was the most viewed and most posted in News thread of the month! Due to rows over contracts with health minister Jeremy Hunt, junior doctors went on strike. They walked out of all but emergency cover for 24 hours, but were they right to do so?

Well, 82% of the over 1000 of you that voted on the poll believe so (correct at the time of writing), and it was quickly pointed out that the strike was about patient safety, not about getting more money. A study here on TSR found that a third of people had been put off potentially studying medicine because of the row. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3811673

This matter still isn’t resolved a whole year later. How long is it going to take?

British schoolgirls who fled to join Isis in Raqqa are feared dead

They left way back in February 2015, but the three British schoolgirls who left for Syria had not been in contact with their families since mid-December - which is about when the airstrikes by Russia, America, and ourselves were stepped up in the region.

The general tone was one of “who cares” - given the girls should have known what they were getting themselves in for, although some posters did state that whilst they didn’t think the girls deserved to die, they do not deserve our sympathy.

Is your opinion still the same as it was then? If not, what changed your mind?

Black Britons of African origin beat whites in GCSE exams

Shock statistics emerged showing that even the poorest of black children from African backgrounds were as likely as the wealthiest of Caribbeans to do well in their exams and go on to further education, doing better than white children. It was thought to be due to their attitudes to school - they were less likely to waste time in the classroom because “there’s always something worse”. That was pretty much my attitude.

Discussions were started regarding the reasons for the gap in attainment: is there an intrinsic intelligence difference, any cultural heritage that may have given them an advantage in the exam hall, or are children from ethnic minority backgrounds being given more support to help overcome a supposed disadvantage?

Whatever the reason, it would be interesting to see the stats from the year just gone as well, don’t you think?

And in true 2016 style, we lost two of our legends:
    David Bowie has died
    From cancer at 69 - the singing legend touched the lives of those in most of our parents generation but also our own and the sympathy and sad messages came streaming in.
    Alan Rickman Dies aged 69
    Also aged 69, also from cancer, sparking a rise in the awareness of cancer deaths. Pretty much everyone had seen Rickman in something, from Harry Potter, to Die Hard, to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (he was Marvin, our own paranoid android also took note of this loss), and the community came together in mourning twice in such a short period of time.

Little did we know how 2016 was going to pan out.

The first of many, what are your favourite works done by Bowie and Rickman?

A year has gone by, and January 2017 is now over as well, can you believe that 12 months have gone so quick? What do you think the biggest news stories of January 2016 were, and what were your personal talking points?

What do you think happened this year that we’ll be talking about in 12 months time?

Tune in again on the 23rd February, when we’ll be posting the next monthly roundup, and find out what the most talked about events were!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    A year has gone by, so much has changed, what were you doing a year ago? We took a look back at some of the top threads in News & Current Affairs for January 2016.

Do you back the junior doctors strike?

This seems to have been the question on everybody’s lips last winter, it was the most viewed and most posted in News thread of the month! Due to rows over contracts with health minister Jeremy Hunt, junior doctors went on strike. They walked out of all but emergency cover for 24 hours, but were they right to do so?

Well, 82% of the over 1000 of you that voted on the poll believe so (correct at the time of writing), and it was quickly pointed out that the strike was about patient safety, not about getting more money. A study here on TSR found that a third of people had been put off potentially studying medicine because of the row. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3811673

This matter still isn’t resolved a whole year later. How long is it going to take?

British schoolgirls who fled to join Isis in Raqqa are feared dead

They left way back in February 2015, but the three British schoolgirls who left for Syria had not been in contact with their families since mid-December - which is about when the airstrikes by Russia, America, and ourselves were stepped up in the region.

The general tone was one of “who cares” - given the girls should have known what they were getting themselves in for, although some posters did state that whilst they didn’t think the girls deserved to die, they do not deserve our sympathy.

Is your opinion still the same as it was then? If not, what changed your mind?

Black Britons of African origin beat whites in GCSE exams

Shock statistics emerged showing that even the poorest of black children from African backgrounds were as likely as the wealthiest of Caribbeans to do well in their exams and go on to further education, doing better than white children. It was thought to be due to their attitudes to school - they were less likely to waste time in the classroom because “there’s always something worse”. That was pretty much my attitude.

Discussions were started regarding the reasons for the gap in attainment: is there an intrinsic intelligence difference, any cultural heritage that may have given them an advantage in the exam hall, or are children from ethnic minority backgrounds being given more support to help overcome a supposed disadvantage?

Whatever the reason, it would be interesting to see the stats from the year just gone as well, don’t you think?

And in true 2016 style, we lost two of our legends:
    David Bowie has died
    From cancer at 69 - the singing legend touched the lives of those in most of our parents generation but also our own and the sympathy and sad messages came streaming in.
    Alan Rickman Dies aged 69
    Also aged 69, also from cancer, sparking a rise in the awareness of cancer deaths. Pretty much everyone had seen Rickman in something, from Harry Potter, to Die Hard, to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (he was Marvin, our own paranoid android also took note of this loss), and the community came together in mourning twice in such a short period of time.

Little did we know how 2016 was going to pan out.

The first of many, what are your favourite works done by Bowie and Rickman?

A year has gone by, and January 2017 is now over as well, can you believe that 12 months have gone so quick? What do you think the biggest news stories of January 2016 were, and what were your personal talking points?

What do you think happened this year that we’ll be talking about in 12 months time?

Tune in again on the 23rd February, when we’ll be posting the next monthly roundup, and find out what the most talked about events were!
    It's hard to believe it's been over 12 months since all those events :eek:

I reckon there's a couple of big big things so far this year that people will be talking about for years to come. Let's just say the word 'Trumpism' will soon be coined (if it hasn't already) and become a widespread term.

As for my favourite works by Bowie and Rickman, I'm gunna have to say Bowie's Low album and Rickman as a sarcastic seraph in the film Dogma.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that this throw back could be a rather depressing affair given the tirade unfortunate news we received throughout 2016. Good thread all the same.

I won't win anybody over with this but I was never really a fan of Bowie or Rickman, possibly too young to ever get on board with Bowie. I tried watching The Man Who Fell To Earth but I got bored.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    I feel that this throw back could be a rather depressing affair given the tirade unfortunate news we received throughout 2016. Good thread all the same.
    We'll be countering it with another project, #FeelGoodFridays, which have a weekly round up of funny/happy news stories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)

I won't win anybody over with this but I was never really a fan of Bowie or Rickman, possibly too young to ever get on board with Bowie. I tried watching The Man Who Fell To Earth but I got bored.
    I feel it could be a little depressing at times too, and I'm the one with the thread stats! I'm going to pull as many positive stories as I can! And like Shadowdweller says, were going to be featuring feel good news stories every week!

It's never too late to get into Bowie's music though, there's such a library awaiting you! I didn't realise until his death just how much of his music I actually knew and loved!

ReputationRep:
    February: HARAMBE (and a bunch of other important stuff you meme lords forgot to remember)

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Still finding it hard to believe Alan is dead...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    We'll be countering it with another project, #FeelGoodFridays, which have a weekly round up of funny/happy news stories
    Lovely idea! :hugs:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Forgot half of that happened if I'm in honest.

But yeah, I was never a fan of Bowie; his only song that I remotely like is obviously because it was a collab with Queen. Rickman on the other hand....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.