Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long should you stay in one job? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you rather...
    Have one job for life?
    46.59%
    'Job-hop' your way through life?
    53.41%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Actor Peter Capaldi expressed his thoughts on the BBC site yesterday that three years is the maximum length of time anyone should stay in a job.

Referring to the role of Dr Who, that he's played for the last four years, he said: "I've never done one job for three years. This is the first time I've done this and I feel it's time for me to move on to different challenges,".

Back in the day, people would be more inclined to get a job after leaving school and stick with it until retirement, but times have clearly changed!

Research from life Insurance firm LV implies that the average UK worker will change employer every 5 years, with an impressive 9 jobs over 50 years. In the US, it's even shorter, with a new employer every 4 years!

Do you think staying put too long can hinder growth/progression?

Or would you rather stay in the same position, and aim to work your way up?

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're happy there

ReputationRep:
    if you're happy, why should you leave?

ReputationRep:
    As much as many of us would like to have one job or at least stay in the same company, it is no longer possible. Staff turnover is relatively high in most professions these days, some more than others.

It is in fact highly detrimental to productivity since new people take time to settle and time is money. But it is the corporations which force employees to move, rather than increasing their salaries and allowing them to move up in the business they prefer to let the experienced members leave to go to other companies and hire in someone to take their place. You get your experience and move on.

However, this does have some benefits as new employees may be able to transfer some of the processes and such from their previous employment to the new company thus giving them potentially a better way to do things. It also allows one to build networks across companies from previous colleagues which can improve business performance as one may gain work from their connection which will benefit the bottom line.

I myself have had roughly 12 jobs in 10 years and I'm only at the tender age of 23. So it is more than likely I will exceed 20 jobs before I even retire. Unfortunately this is the way the world works now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    Actor Peter Capaldi expressed his thoughts on the BBC site yesterday that three years is the maximum length of time anyone should stay in a job.

Referring to the role of Dr Who, that he's played for the last four years, he said: "I've never done one job for three years. This is the first time I've done this and I feel it's time for me to move on to different challenges,".

Back in the day, people would be more inclined to get a job after leaving school and stick with it until retirement, but times have clearly changed!

Research from life Insurance firm LV implies that the average UK worker will change employer every 5 years, with an impressive 9 jobs over 50 years. In the US, it's even shorter, with a new employer every 4 years!

Most graduate schemes are 4-5 years ,so in order to get promotions you need to remain within a company for a number of years.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would get bored of the same job for 40+ years so id imagine ill job-hop a bit, who knows though maybe ill find a job I really like

ReputationRep:
    I would strongly prefer to stay in a single job. 20 years down the line the requirements to be what you are may be completely different and youd have to waste at least 2 years re-doing your A levels as the ones you did were like finding 1+1 compared to the newer ones. Even then, you're not garunteed a job as depending on what you want to be it may be REALLY hard to get a job.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    One job but as long as it was one I loved doing.

ReputationRep:
    It would entirely depend on the nature of the job, the company, etc. How long is a piece of string? If you don't have a good reason to leave then why would you want to? I'd say one job because that would mean I thought it was so good.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the job and current job satisfaction

People look for different things in their careers.
    Either way, if you find the 'perfect' job and are happy doing it there's no reason to leave?
    • Political Ambassador

In these modern times, change is the dominant aspect and the power to adapt is a requirement. If someone feels like they're stagnating, rather than challenging themselves it means there's no improvement, therefore they have to move on and try something else because they might get too comfortable and used to it.

Sometimes working your way up in the same company is not as adventurous and beneficial as seeking a new position, a new environment and possibly a different career. You have to risk, you only live once and it would be a shame not to try different jobs and not take advantage of what this world has to offer. There's so much to do nowadays, it's impossible to stay in the same position!

ReputationRep:
    In the future I see myself with the same people I love forever and ever and ever!

ReputationRep:
    look at that poll tie.

Yep. Job hopping.

ReputationRep:
    No such thing as a job for life.... you need to keep your mind, ears, eyes and options open... companies have to change with the times and business climate ...... and therefore so do their biggest financial assets who walk out the door each evening. By all means stay as long as you want but don't be naive in business.

ReputationRep:
    I left my first job, went somewhere else and then came back a couple of years later to a higher position and pay rise. I'd have not gotten those had I just stayed with the company the whole time.

The days of progressing up through the same company are long gone.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it; if you're doing one thing for life, no matter how much you love that thing, it'll get repetitive and boring.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I intend to stay in my current firm only so long as it meets my progression goals and allows me to satisfy my personal and financial goals. That right now means promotion by the end of 2017 (manager loves me and has basically said 3-6 months) and promotion to management proper by the end of 2020. If the firm is not able to deliver and/or i view the reason as not satisfactory then i have no problems with jumping ship.

As i head into my thirties i intend to enter politics so an election to the Commons would require me to change jobs anyway.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you think another job will have more to offer and you see a better future with that job .

ReputationRep:
    More time in one job = higher salaries as time goes by. Also if you stay in one job you get accustomed to it, whereas if you "job hop" you have to adjust every few years or so.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be settled in one job that I really enjoy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.