Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long should you stay in one job? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you rather...
    Have one job for life?
    46.59%
    'Job-hop' your way through life?
    53.41%

ReputationRep:
    I'd stay in one job all my life and do a job that I enjoy. That way I won't have to work a single day of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I left my first job, went somewhere else and then came back a couple of years later to a higher position and pay rise. I'd have not gotten those had I just stayed with the company the whole time.

The days of progressing up through the same company are long gone.
    For how long (how many years and months) did you work at your first job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    For how long (how many years and months) did you work at your first job?
    5 years

ReputationRep:
    Just stay until you start feeling unhappy, then just find something else. In 19 days, it will be 3 years for me in my current job and to be honest, I still like it a bit but at the same time I feel like it's destroying me :erm: I'm still planning to stay until I find something better which I doubt will happen any time soon. I know for sure, a long time (10+ years) in the same job would be a killer for me, I'd get bored. The reason why am still at my current job is that it's very demanding and always keeping me busy, that's what I enjoy doing the most! Except that it puts a bit too much pressure on my health and I'm starting to feel side effects of it :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I'd rather job-hop but typically the first few jobs people get are for money and not because you want to build a career there so switching jobs is a pretty normal and beneficial thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    5 years
    That's a long time :0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    That's a long time :0
    Yup, hence why it was time to leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Yup, hence why it was time to leave
    If you had the choice to go back in time and decide how long to stay at your first job, how long would you have stayed at your first job?

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on each situation, if I was happy where I was then I'd stay there for as long as possible. However, I'm the kind of person who gets bored by the same thing over and over and I'd want a challenge, so I'd probably try to progress
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasnim_ahmed)
    I think it depends on each situation, if I was happy where I was then I'd stay there for as long as possible. However, I'm the kind of person who gets bored by the same thing over and over and I'd want a challenge, so I'd probably try to progress
    I think progression is key. The type of people who end up stuck in the same role on the same pay for a decade are not those lack the talent per say but those who have no clear objectives nor conviction in being able to meet them.

If you want to be in management ect.. then set yourself goals and go for it. If your current employer will not promote you (and you deem the reason to be poor) then find a firm that will.

ReputationRep:
    As I'm planning on studying English & Creative Writing as a degree, I assume when I'm a graduate I'm going to be switching between jobs a lot until I find something I'm passionate and driven to do for the remainder of my career. If I was going to do a vocational degree, I'd definitley want to have one job that I can progress in and become the best in. But as I'm really just aiming for a certain area in career and not a specific job or place, it wouldn't surprise me that I had a lot of different types of jobs in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticktactical)
    It would entirely depend on the nature of the job, the company, etc. How long is a piece of string? If you don't have a good reason to leave then why would you want to? I'd say one job because that would mean I thought it was so good.
    I agree.
    As long as you are happy in your job, why leave?
    I would rather keep a job for as long as possible, and hopefully progress, but if i end up going for another job for whatever reason (e.g. dont like the company, more progression elsewhere or whatever) then i go for another job.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps everyone is not a 'settler' and doesn't mind discovering and learning new skills in different fields. Of course having one job/career makes life a little more organized and all but I think job-hopping has more adventure and thrill, even though the opportunities for growth may be more limited. I think the longest I'd ever consider doing one job is three years. After that, I up and leave and try something new which may or may not be related to my previous job.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt wanna be somewhere that limited my progression

if i spend 3 years in the same position and the company thought id be content staying there forever then i'll leave.

work is primarily about money and status

ReputationRep:
    Depends on job, salary, opportunity, family and local community.

ReputationRep:
    Wow tied I didn't expect that. I guess students haven't realised how important job stability still is must be all the 'gig economy' nonsense the papers keep banging on about as if zero job security, unreliable hours and bad salaries is a good thing. You wait till you go through the grueling recruitment process a few times or have seriouse financial commitments see how appealing 'job hopping' is then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.