Turn on thread page Beta

Buying a Hybrid with high mileage? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of Hybrid cars just for the sake of saving money. I see some for sale online but they usually have really high mileage like 100k +

What's the consensus on buying a Hybrid with a high mileage?

I like the Lexus CT200h, I've seen some for decent prices at around 7-8k with a mileage of around 110k(Highest I would probably accept is 120k). Most Hybrids like the Prius and some of the Hondas look hideous and overly futuristic, but this Lexus looks nice and normal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jedders)
    I like the idea of Hybrid cars just for the sake of saving money. I see some for sale online but they usually have really high mileage like 100k +

I like the Lexus CT200h, I've seen some for decent prices at around 7-8k with a mileage of around 110k(Highest I would probably accept is 120k). Most Hybrids like the Prius and some of the Hondas look hideous and overly futuristic, but this Lexus looks nice and normal.
    I've heard of some hybrids reaching 400k+, so I'd say you'd probably be okay with around 110k on the clock 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    I've heard of some hybrids reaching 400k+, so I'd say you'd probably be okay with around 110k on the clock 😂
    That's the kind of response I wanted to hear, Yeeessssss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedders)

Had one of those before. They are fairly decent cars but just got to remember that you will pay pricing for a Lexus when it comes to maintenance and that isn't cheap. There is also the Toyota Auris Hybrid that looks just like any other Auris.

120k miles on it isn't end of the world. However it must be remembered that there are 2 batteries in these cars and if you bring it to a dealer they can give you a battery health report for both the main and the auxiliary battery. The auxiliary battery is fairly similar to those in any other cars just that they can be rather expensive as it is a proprietary battery. The main battery on the other hand rarely ever requires replacement even at 250k miles.

What will wear off however are the other components on the car, Suspension parts aren't cheap on them and do tend to wear off quicker than conventional cars. There are no belts to replace on these cars as even the air conditioning compressor isn't hooked up with a belt. Filters however do require replacements and the CVT gearbox can take some getting used to, it will require a fluid and filter change else the car will have a rubberband effect when driving.

Would I buy one again? Not for myself as the type of driving I do these cars don't save that much fuel. However they are great cars even if the mileage is higher than normal for a car its age. In some ways I'd rather buy a well maintained high mileage one than one that isn't properly maintained.

ReputationRep:
    IWMTom what's the situation with the battery with these older, high mileage hybrids. I imagine that they are a significant expense if they go wrong, but is that something the OP needs to be concerned about?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    IWMTom what's the situation with the battery with these older, high mileage hybrids. I imagine that they are a significant expense if they go wrong, but is that something the OP needs to be concerned about?
    Good question.

The older the car is, the worse the battery technology, but anything in the past sort of 2-3 years should be pretty decent. They can last a long time, especially if you don't leave them to die (i.e. charge at 50% rather than 10%), so it's worth having the logs checked by a mechanic before committing to buy the vehicle; it should store data on charge cycles, and the health of the battery banks.

In terms of replacing them, it is true they can be rather expensive to put right, however as it's a hybrid rather than a fully electric vehicle, it should realistically last twice the mileage OP quoted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Good question.

The older the car is, the worse the battery technology, but anything in the past sort of 2-3 years should be pretty decent. They can last a long time, especially if you don't leave them to die (i.e. charge at 50% rather than 10%), so it's worth having the logs checked by a mechanic before committing to buy the vehicle; it should store data on charge cycles, and the health of the battery banks.

In terms of replacing them, it is true they can be rather expensive to put right, however as it's a hybrid rather than a fully electric vehicle, it should realistically last twice the mileage OP quoted.
    Thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    As it's a Lexus, it's likely to be pretty much bulletproof.
    The electric motor will save you money on Tax and Petrol so that's an advantage there also.
    Just make sure the car you buy is in good condition before you actually buy it.

So yeah, go for it.
    Lexus's will run forever so no problem there

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.