The Student Room Group

Temporary driving insurance with different companies?

I wanted to get some temporary driving insurance on my brothers car as a 2nd driver.

I know that I can get temp insurance as a 2nd driver with my brother's insurance policy. However, they only allow it for 30 days throughout the whole year.

If I do those 30 days, and say I need the car again in the summer for another temporary insurance, can I do it with a different company as a 2nd driver on my brothers car?
Reply 1
This isn't an endorsed post, there's no referral codes, just an honest review:

My car went into the garage yesterday and I needed to drive but I wasn't insured on my mums car - were both insured with Admiral and a couple of days ago they emailed me to tell me they were releasing short term insurance to the public.

Within minutes I was insured on my mums car for the rest of the day, for £7.60. The price per hour reduces significantly the more you buy, and there's no 30 days a year maximum as far as I can see - 30 days at a time perhaps. It also mentions something receiving a full years NCB with Admiral if you use their short term insurance for 30 days, but I didn't look into this.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
This isn't an endorsed post, there's no referral codes, just an honest review:

My car went into the garage yesterday and I needed to drive but I wasn't insured on my mums car - were both insured with Admiral and a couple of days ago they emailed me to tell me they were releasing short term insurance to the public.

Within minutes I was insured on my mums car for the rest of the day, for £7.60. The price per hour reduces significantly the more you buy, and there's no 30 days a year maximum as far as I can see - 30 days at a time perhaps. It also mentions something receiving a full years NCB with Admiral if you use their short term insurance for 30 days, but I didn't look into this.

Hope that helps!

Unfortunately I called Admiral and they said that I have to speak to my brothers current car insurance company, so I'm guessing they wont let me do temp insurance with his company then temp with Admiral :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Susta1nz
Unfortunately I called Admiral and they said that I have to speak to my brothers current car insurance company, so I'm guessing they wont let me do temp insurance with his company then temp with Admiral :frown:

Just use the website instead of calling them; there's no mention of previous short term cover at all.

Quick Reply

Latest