Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Temporary driving insurance with different companies? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to get some temporary driving insurance on my brothers car as a 2nd driver.

I know that I can get temp insurance as a 2nd driver with my brother's insurance policy. However, they only allow it for 30 days throughout the whole year.

If I do those 30 days, and say I need the car again in the summer for another temporary insurance, can I do it with a different company as a 2nd driver on my brothers car?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This isn't an endorsed post, there's no referral codes, just an honest review:

My car went into the garage yesterday and I needed to drive but I wasn't insured on my mums car - were both insured with Admiral and a couple of days ago they emailed me to tell me they were releasing short term insurance to the public.

Within minutes I was insured on my mums car for the rest of the day, for £7.60. The price per hour reduces significantly the more you buy, and there's no 30 days a year maximum as far as I can see - 30 days at a time perhaps. It also mentions something receiving a full years NCB with Admiral if you use their short term insurance for 30 days, but I didn't look into this.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    This isn't an endorsed post, there's no referral codes, just an honest review:

My car went into the garage yesterday and I needed to drive but I wasn't insured on my mums car - were both insured with Admiral and a couple of days ago they emailed me to tell me they were releasing short term insurance to the public.

Within minutes I was insured on my mums car for the rest of the day, for £7.60. The price per hour reduces significantly the more you buy, and there's no 30 days a year maximum as far as I can see - 30 days at a time perhaps. It also mentions something receiving a full years NCB with Admiral if you use their short term insurance for 30 days, but I didn't look into this.

Hope that helps!
    Unfortunately I called Admiral and they said that I have to speak to my brothers current car insurance company, so I'm guessing they wont let me do temp insurance with his company then temp with Admiral
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susta1nz)
    Unfortunately I called Admiral and they said that I have to speak to my brothers current car insurance company, so I'm guessing they wont let me do temp insurance with his company then temp with Admiral
    Just use the website instead of calling them; there's no mention of previous short term cover at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.