Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    For one I did not call him a Nazi. Though given how some of his disgusting views are paralleled by the Nazis, I can see the comparison. The Nazis just had totalitarianism as one aspect, as well, remember that.

Most people who are opposed to Milo do not go around assaulting people. Stop generalizing.
    Which of his veiws are paralleled by the nazis? He's literally a gay coke snorting Jew that has sex with black men. You average muslim is about 100000000000000000x closer to a nazi then Milo. Hell, your average muslim is closer to the nazis then white nationalists like Richard Spencer are. In fact by the standards of the western left, the vast majority of the world are extreme radical neo-nazis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    No they can say what they want.

When instead of ideas it turns into the action of recruiting terrorists that is wrong, not the words but the action.
    I see, so you have never ranted against them, nor has anyone else on this forum sharing your general political view?

ReputationRep:
    If you can not say something then free speech does not exist.
    I've always been fascinated by the concept of free speech personally, I am totally for people being able to rise up and use their voice to help create change. Some of the great civil rights have been made by our ability to speak up in anger.

But you are a fool if you wouldn't accept that many heinous and vile things have been done because people have abused this right... free speech can and will always incite hatred, whether this is a good thing is up to you to decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by housat)
    Which of his veiws are paralleled by the nazis? He's literally a gay coke snorting Jew that has sex with black men. You average muslim is about 100000000000000000x closer to a nazi then Milo. Hell, your average muslim is closer to the nazis then white nationalists like Richard Spencer are. In fact by the standards of the western left, the vast majority of the world are extreme radical neo-nazis.
    Dude ****ing chill man omg looooool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by housat)
    Which of his veiws are paralleled by the nazis? He's literally a gay coke snorting Jew that has sex with black men. You average muslim is about 100000000000000000x closer to a nazi then Milo. Hell, your average muslim is closer to the nazis then white nationalists like Richard Spencer are.
    "Oh look at me, I am a gay Jew, if anyone should feel discriminated against it's me, I don't feel discriminated against so of course neither is anyone else".

By running on an agenda of hate towards others he is showing us that he believes himself to be something better than those people. He believes he has the right to discriminate against them.

But yes, you are right, religions in an of themselves share this with Nazism, too. But not just Muslims, Jews, too, they too think they are God's chosen people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percypig17)
    That's a pretty weak argument to be honest. There's a lot of things that individual people might want to try (illegal drugs, euthanasia) that we don't allow if the potential negatives to society outweigh the positives. And let's not pretend gay conversion therapy is a legitimate medical technique. There is no evidence base whatsoever showing it works, and it has been abundantly proven that sexuality is set in stone very early on in the development cycle. (Not even getting into the damage to the individual in pretending being homosexual is a disorder and the root of any underlying mental condition).

I don't agree with the outcry against Milo's speech in Berkeley. But that doesn't escape the fact that it's pretty ridiculous for the right to berate the entire left for being 'intolerant' given the actions of a very few, especially given their hypocritically intolerant views on the issues I mentioned.

However, on the note of the 'alt-right' being tolerant, here's a video of Richard Spencer, known alt-right advocate, celebrating Trump's victory in Washington in a speech espousing White Supremacy and actual Nazi salutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6-bi3jlxk

(Not saying all Trump supporters are racist or anything, just pointing out the stupidity of the right for criticising the intolerance of the left based on the actions of very few, whilst being supported by many alt-right groups who could very easily be criticised in the same way)
    I never said it was but if someone wants to try it should they be stopped? This is in line with my position on drugs and euthanasia which I think should be legal.

You want to share the video of Richard spencer being punched while giving an interview in the street?

Did the salute actually hurt anyone? I think it is stupid but who did it physically hurt? I have no problem if these rioters stand there protesting that is their right and I can disagree and call them stupid but when it turns into physical violence that is where the problem begins.

Was it ok when Richard Spencer got punched? Is political violence acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    Hate and anger. He is a little angry child that wants attention and has found a niche for it.
    Have you got a sensible response?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    People who go to 'protest' other people's events either do so to silence them, which is absolutely unacceptable, especially on a university campus, or just to be trendy and join in with yelling about their opinions in public, in which case they are depressing losers who need to find something productive to do with their time.

They are such unbearable narcissists. They are also apparently very stupid. To go out and protest the fact that people are sharing ideas which are different from yours is pathetic and wrong in itself, but given they presumably opposed Milo's ideas being widely shared perhaps doing this and catapulting him into the mainstream national media spotlight was also just strategically ridiculous.
    That is your opinion, I am of the opinion that intolerance cannot be met with tolerance. I would apply this to Milo as much as to Islam.

I personally would not go to protest, just for that reason, it's what he actually wants. But I can certainly see why others would feel strongly that a hate preacher is coming to their campus.

I have no problems with neo-Nazis being punched.

If the Nazis were in power, they'd do a lot worse than punch a few people...

ReputationRep:
      I see, so you have never ranted against them, nor has anyone else on this forum sharing your general political view?
      Just like they can say what they want so can I, people have the right to speak out if they disagree with me and I can when I disagree with them, free speech isn't about agreement.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Willy Pete)
      Have you got a sensible response?
      You were accusing others of protesting and denying free speech just because they oppose in views, and now you are dismissing me as not sensible just because you don't agree.

btw, you can youtube it, there are multiple people who are actually social commentators and not like me just some random guy on an internet forum, who think very similarly about Milo.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      I have no problems with neo-Nazis being punched.

If the Nazis were in power, they'd do a lot worse than punch a few people...
      This is the problem what happens when you lose the power you have given your opponents the rights needed to attack you.

Be consistent with your views is it ok to attack people you disagree with?

ReputationRep:
      That is your opinion, I am of the opinion that intolerance cannot be met with tolerance. I would apply this to Milo as much as to Islam.

I personally would not go to protest, just for that reason, it's what he actually wants. But I can certainly see why others would feel strongly that a hate preacher is coming to their campus.
      So you are intolerant of different opinions

ReputationRep:
      Just like they can say what they want so can I, people have the right to speak out if they disagree with me and I can when I disagree with them, free speech isn't about agreement.
      No, it's not. But neither is it about hate.

If Milo wants to talk to his worshipers, let him rent a private place and they can come and celebrate. Misusing campuses for his propaganda will inevitable draw opposition.

ReputationRep:
      Okay, so you regard Milo as intolerant. Many people regard those on the left, whom Milo speaks against, as intolerant. Shall we all just protest each other's events, so that nobody can speak? Does that sound productive to you?

There has to be room for people to be able freely to express views which other people strongly disagree with. Otherwise (a) you stifle thought on either side of any given argument and (b) ratchet up hostilities between the sides, as this protest and others like it have.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by BusyStarGazing)
      I've always been fascinated by the concept of free speech personally, I am totally for people being able to rise up and use their voice to help create change. Some of the great civil rights have been made by our ability to speak up in anger.

But you are a fool if you wouldn't accept that many heinous and vile things have been done because people have abused this right... free speech can and will always incite hatred, whether this is a good thing is up to you to decide
      If you would limit speech where would you draw the line knowing that you will eventually lose power and have made your oppression possible?

ReputationRep:
      So you are intolerant of different opinions
      No, read properly, I am intolerant of intolerance.

You seem to be under the impression that "words" should magically be something holy, irreproachable. And only actions are wrong.

Why?

ReputationRep:
      I never said it was but if someone wants to try it should they be stopped? This is in line with my position on drugs and euthanasia which I think should be legal.

You want to share the video of Richard spencer being punched while giving an interview in the street?

Did the salute actually hurt anyone? I think it is stupid but who did it physically hurt? I have no problem if these rioters stand there protesting that is their right and I can disagree and call them stupid but when it turns into physical violence that is where the problem begins.

Your views are hardly in line with mainstream conservative beliefs though, i.e. Trump's administration includes supporters of 'Gay conversion therapy' but opponents of the decriminalisation of drug use, euthanasia, and abortion. What happened to 'if they want it why can't they try it?' when it comes to contraceptive rights, which Republicans plan to defund?

Richard Spencer getting punched is obviously wrong, but let's not act like physical violence is the only wrong thing here. Preaching a doctrine of White Supremacy- hatred towards all those who don't happen to be born White is clearly an example of intolerance, as is Trump's comments concerning the Mexican judge and poorly implemented ban on immigration from predominately Muslim nations (whilst allowing Christian refugees in purely because they're not Muslim).

You've shifted the goalposts here by moving from intolerance (which the right is obviously guilty of as well), towards physical violence. Whilst it is very clear physical violence in any form, be it against Richard Spencer or among the Berkeley protestors, is something which should be condemned, let's not pretend that i) Physical violence is a norm among the Left, rather than the actions of a tiny minority ii) that the Right is not guilty of intolerance in many forms and iii) Richard Spencer's comments are merely 'stupid' and not hateful or intolerant towards non-whites.

ReputationRep:
      No, it's not. But neither is it about hate.

If Milo wants to talk to his worshipers, let him rent a private place and they can come and celebrate. Misusing campuses for his propaganda will inevitable draw opposition.
      So you do not support the 1st amendment and article 10 of the European Convention of Human Rights?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
      Okay, so you regard Milo as intolerant. Many people regard those on the left, whom Milo speaks against, as intolerant. Shall we all just protest each other's events, so that nobody can speak? Does that sound productive to you?

There has to be room for people to be able freely to express views which other people strongly disagree with. Otherwise (a) you stifle thought on either side of any given argument and (b) ratchet up hostilities between the sides, as this protest and others like it have.
      I regard them intolerant, too. As I said they are both extremes that are ridiculous.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.