Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Change in circumstances- not wanting to let org down Watch

ReputationRep:
    I started volunteering in November. I've just begun getting hands on and I'm loving it. It's really boosted my self-confidence.

Training takes about 9 months. At the time of applying, I hadn't worked in 4 years as my health had been bad and since I wasn't getting any better, and was sometimes pretty bad, I felt confident of committing that bit longer than average in return.

Much to my surprise, and that of those around me, a recent meds change has finally had a bit of a noticeable improvement and it's not unimaginable that more of the same could improve me to the level of being able to look for work again by the end of the year.

I have 2 questions. 1) How bad is it that they might only get 3-6 months proper use of me? 2) Do you think I'd be there long enough for a reference? Ideally, I'd try to work for them but the contracts tend to only be for 16 hours a week and I couldn't afford that as I'm single. I'm already feeling super guilty
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they understand that peoples' situations change.

Talk to them about this. You may need to be there for a certain amount of time for a reference.

ReputationRep:
    If you volunteer, you are working unpaid for them. You have every right to leave whenever you want, without notice. 9 months+ is a long time and circumstances can change hugely within that time - it's not unreasonable at all that yours have changed and they take that into account when they recruit volunteers, because as I said, there's no physical obligation for you to turn up or continue volunteering for them.

And as you say, the situation that you have to leave them may only arise later in the year. So I'd encourage you not to worry about it for now and only bring it up when that situation comes nearer and you start thinking about or actually looking for work more seriously. In my experience organisations tend to be very supportive of their volunteers, including being supportive of them going on to get a job, even if it means they have to leave their voluntary post. Although I can't promise anything, I'd say 3-6 months is plenty time to get a reference. If you're worried about it all I would say is to make positive relationships with your manager and the people you work with now - as it tends to be the relationships you build and the help you offer in your role that will affect the reference (unless there are company guidelines on this).
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by liebkuchen)
    I
    I have 2 questions. 1) How bad is it that they might only get 3-6 months proper use of me? 2) Do you think I'd be there long enough for a reference? Ideally, I'd try to work for them but the contracts tend to only be for 16 hours a week and I couldn't afford that as I'm single. I'm already feeling super guilty

Considering your background then they should be fine.they dont have much choice. It depends who it is really.

They will be used to it, dont worry. In my experience the majorty of volunteers leave as soon as they have a job offer.

Getting a reference will be covered by their guidelines, they should offer you one especially if you have made a good impression. If they dont have guidelines then it will be up to the volunteer organiser. I wouldnt worry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.