The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3140
Original post by ACC_21
yeah sure - what course did you apply for out of interest ? (I keep losing track of who applied for what)

i'm giving myself until the 11th (i.e a week after 4th may) until I worry/give up hope :P

MSc Mathematics and Foundations of Computer Science (MFoCS) here. I must admit I'm guilty of the same... too many courses heh.

Not sure the course/department has too much influence on which college accepts you, but who knows. Did they say you'd hear back by 4th May from your preferred college? That's for January deadline I presume. In any case, I wouldn't fret, since remember you're guaranteed a place at one of the colleges at least. :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 3141
Original post by Noldorin
Did they say you'd hear back by 4th May from your preferred college?

We both applied to the same one, remember :P? hehe

4th may is the date all college decisions have to be made by (according to a timetable somewhere online) so I reckon if a week passes after that, we have a legitimate reason to get impatient/worried!

But yes, I do believe we will all be happy wherever we go :smile:
Reply 3142
Original post by ACC_21
We both applied to the same one, remember :P? hehe

4th may is the date all college decisions have to be made by (according to a timetable somewhere online) so I reckon if a week passes after that, we have a legitimate reason to get impatient/worried!

But yes, I do believe we will all be happy wherever we go :smile:

Oh I see, I did not know all college decisions must be made by then!

Yes of course you applied to the same one... I'm so absent-minded hah. Was just discussing with a couple of other people and it all literally blurs together.

I might send off an email just to make sure Balliol have my application now! But I agree, any college (err except Wolfson?) will be great. :smile:
Reply 3143
I don't think Wolfson looks bad actually, it has gorgeous grounds and looks like a really lovely, relaxing place for all that hard studying :wink: I think they have really nice size rooms/apartments too so quite good for overall graduate experience. Just hasnt got the nicest architecture.

St Catherine's is the one i'm slightly wary of, but then some people seem to like it.... I guess we won't know until we go there and I didn't visit the ones "further out" anyway ... presume I'm not the only one! So its all speculation.

I wouldn't call just yet... but if you do, report back on everything they say please!! :smile:
Reply 3144
Seeing as I won't be getting a bike (awful at riding a bike, and hate it) I just really want a decent location so I don't have to do long daily walks in the rain! :P

That said I think there are buses.... but yeah. Buses can be unreliable hehe
I've declined my Oxford offer so really should leave this thread, but I just have to stick up for Wolfson! I've been to a conference there fairly recently and it's lovely - such a friendly environment, and good facilities too. No one need be disappointed by an acceptance there. :smile:

(I do understand the attraction of older colleges, of course - I did my undergraduate degree at one of the old ones - but just wanted to clarify to anyone worrying about college offers that you will be fine and that modern colleges can be great too.)
Got an offer from University College! I'm so thrilled, totally didn't think i'd get my first choice. Anyone know anything about it?
GAH just have to try meet the offer now :s
Reply 3147
Original post by thatfineframe
I've declined my Oxford offer so really should leave this thread, but I just have to stick up for Wolfson! I've been to a conference there fairly recently and it's lovely - such a friendly environment, and good facilities too. No one need be disappointed by an acceptance there. :smile:

(I do understand the attraction of older colleges, of course - I did my undergraduate degree at one of the old ones - but just wanted to clarify to anyone worrying about college offers that you will be fine and that modern colleges can be great too.)

Yeah, I take that back. Despite being new, I've heard a few good things about. I mainly go by conventional/stereotypical reputation!

Though I'm curious, what would you possibly turn down Oxford for!?
Reply 3148
Original post by ACC_21
I don't think Wolfson looks bad actually, it has gorgeous grounds and looks like a really lovely, relaxing place for all that hard studying :wink: I think they have really nice size rooms/apartments too so quite good for overall graduate experience. Just hasnt got the nicest architecture.

St Catherine's is the one i'm slightly wary of, but then some people seem to like it.... I guess we won't know until we go there and I didn't visit the ones "further out" anyway ... presume I'm not the only one! So its all speculation.

I wouldn't call just yet... but if you do, report back on everything they say please!! :smile:

Hah yeah, Wolfson isn't so bad actually. It just has a vaguely negative reputation... I hear Oxford students joke about it sometimes like Cambridge students sometimes joke about Girton. But yes, I think you're right actually; distance from the city centre aside, it looks like a fairly nice place. :-)

No I'm not calling yet... I was just considering emailing the college to check they at least received my application from the department/university. News will come with next week for both of us, hopefully! :-)
Original post by Noldorin
Though I'm curious, what would you possibly turn down Oxford for!?

Cambridge. It was incredibly hard to choose because I love Oxford dearly, but I thought it might be more challenging for me as a scholar to gain some experience of a different department. I will apply to both at doctoral level - I would of course have been very happy to go back to Oxford (my favourite place in the world), so there was ultimately very little in it. Simply a desire to test myself out in 'pastures new'. :smile:
Reply 3150
Original post by thatfineframe
Cambridge. It was incredibly hard to choose because I love Oxford dearly, but I thought it might be more challenging for me as a scholar to gain some experience of a different department. I will apply to both at doctoral level - I would of course have been very happy to go back to Oxford (my favourite place in the world), so there was ultimately very little in it. Simply a desire to test myself out in 'pastures new'. :smile:

As fair a reason as any. There's little enough between the two in quality and reputation, those sorts of factors rightly dominate I suppose.

I'm getting change of scenery regardless, so I ought to be happy at Oxford in all respects. :-)

Sounds like you'll have a good experience regardless, and always return to old Oxford later as you say.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3151
Original post by Juliet_Wannabe1
Got an offer from University College! I'm so thrilled, totally didn't think i'd get my first choice. Anyone know anything about it?

Other than it looks amazing...!
Reply 3152
For the March admission deadline, when is the deadline for college decision???
Original post by ACC_21

Does anyone know if 4th May is the deadline for your 1st choice college to make a decision or if it's also for whichever college(s) your application is passed on to?
Reply 3154
Original post by cyberpoet
Does anyone know if 4th May is the deadline for your 1st choice college to make a decision or if it's also for whichever college(s) your application is passed on to?

The 1st choice colleges were required to make a decision by 20th April.

4th May is the final deadline for all College placements.

I am not sure how rigidly these deadlines are enforced. A previous poster suggested they were at best 'guidelines'.
Reply 3155
Bear in mind, even if the decisions are made on the 20th/4th, it doesnt mean we will HEAR from them any time soon...
Original post by HLS
The 1st choice colleges were required to make a decision by 20th April.

4th May is the final deadline for all College placements.

I am not sure how rigidly these deadlines are enforced. A previous poster suggested they were at best 'guidelines'.

Thanks :smile:. Yes I've heard of college-less people languishing until June July etc. Perish the thought.
Reply 3157
NOOOOO, WHY DID YOU SAY THAT :frown: :frown: I can't wait until July!
Reply 3158
Original post by cyberpoet
Thanks :smile:. Yes I've heard of college-less people languishing until June July etc. Perish the thought.

As I said in a previous post I rather suspect I will be one such college-less individual! My application wasn't particularly competitive (although approved by the faculty) so I cannot envisage any colleges being particularly keen to snap me up. I expect I shall be foisted upon the one with places free at the end of the process.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3159
It's hard to tell if you are a strong of weak candidate though... my confidance has been knocked from my lack of funding but I have to remember the majority of people DONT get funding...

Also I'm pretty sure you can be pooled to a different college to even out the male/female arts/sciences ratio, not necessarily because you aren't a strong candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending