Scroll to see replies

Reply 3820
I finally received my college offer yesterday, I will be at Lady Margaret Hall
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 3821
Original post by sll1
I'm also interested in the leter for the bank...

If you PM me your email address, I'll send my letters to you. Obviously they come with a disclaimer that I have no real idea what I'm doing either, but they worked for my college. I don't think they expect anything fancy or terribly complicated - they just want someone to formally say they take responsibility for financially supporting you. :smile:
Reply 3822
Original post by Dubie
If you PM me your email address, I'll send my letters to you. Obviously they come with a disclaimer that I have no real idea what I'm doing either, but they worked for my college. I don't think they expect anything fancy or terribly complicated - they just want someone to formally say they take responsibility for financially supporting you. :smile:

PMed you :smile:
Original post by sll1
Which English MSt will you be doing?

1550-1700, which course are you on?
(edited 11 years ago)
Has anybody got a confirmed college accommodation offer yet?

Also, is anybody here in the 1660 - 1830 strand? (I got an email a few days back saying we get out reading lists in August ... I concur with what someone else posted on this thread - a few more months of clocking up minimum wage hours!) I have finally received my required classification, and am now actually looking forward to starting the new academic year!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3825
Original post by sll1
Which English MSt will you be doing?

His username kind of gives it away.:wink:
Reply 3826
Original post by ColinClout
1550-1700, which course are you on?

medieval english literature
Original post by Student 01
Has anybody got a confirmed college accommodation offer yet?

Also, is anybody here in the 1660 - 1830 strand? (I got an email a few days back saying we get out reading lists in August ... I concur with what someone else posted on this thread - a few more months of clocking up minimum wage hours!) I have finally received my required classification, and am now actually looking forward to starting the new academic year!

Exactly the same, degree results were two weeks ago and now all there is to do is wait for October.

Original post by hobnob
His username kind of gives it away.:wink:

I guess it depends what you've read :smile:

Original post by sll1
medieval english literature

Cool, we didn't really get any medieval stuff in my undergrad degree, what kind of thing are you interested in?
Original post by sll1
I finally received my college offer yesterday, I will be at Lady Margaret Hall

Congrats! :smile:

Also, is anybody here in the 1660 - 1830 strand?

Yes me!! :smile:
Original post by cyberpoet
Yes me!! :smile:

Ah fab! If I remember correctly (which is not very often ... ) will this be your second Mst? Was the 1st one at Ox too?
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would see if anyone else is still waiting for a college? I'm getting really anxious now :frown: . Hope you're not feeling it as much as I am!!

MT
Original post by moderntemplar
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would see if anyone else is still waiting for a college? I'm getting really anxious now :frown: . Hope you're not feeling it as much as I am!!

MT

I didn't hear from mine for a while, until I called the department and they told me there had been problems with email and they were supposed to have emailed me weeks ago. Maybe call up and check? - good luck with it! I suppose if you have a place at the university, the worst that can happen is that you don't get the college of your choice - and that's not so bad if you have a place on your course.
Ah fab! If I remember correctly (which is not very often ... ) will this be your second Mst? Was the 1st one at Ox too?

You remember correctly. And yes my first MSt was at Oxford too :smile:.

Cant wait to get back to the dreaming spires!
How long can it possibly take to post me a contract for college accomodation? It's been 1.5 weeks now. I know Royal Mail isn't the fastest (German mail neither) and taken together they probably need some days, but all other letters were here within days.
I'm aware that this is wining on a very high level, but I'm so curious about my new room and stuff like that! Checking my mail anxiously every morning...

Anyway, totally other topic (as different as it can be in an oxford application discussion). beforehand, if anyone of you guys does not 'like' people like me, just overread it and please do not find yourself offenced in any kind of way.
I was just wondering how live is for gay people in oxford. I'm living near Cologne now, which has a very big gay scene and it's all relaxed and easy-going here. No hostility (well, at least not as much as anywhere else i know) and a lot of activities to attend (partys, bars, etc.) is there anything even remotely comparable in oxford? How is the overall attitude towards gay people (from colleges, professors etc.) Literally anything on that topic interests me, so if you can help, just post (or pm me if this makes things easier for you). Thank you all in advance!
Reply 3835
Original post by TickingClock
How long can it possibly take to post me a contract for college accomodation? It's been 1.5 weeks now. I know Royal Mail isn't the fastest (German mail neither) and taken together they probably need some days, but all other letters were here within days.
I'm aware that this is wining on a very high level, but I'm so curious about my new room and stuff like that! Checking my mail anxiously every morning...

Anyway, totally other topic (as different as it can be in an oxford application discussion). beforehand, if anyone of you guys does not 'like' people like me, just overread it and please do not find yourself offenced in any kind of way.
I was just wondering how live is for gay people in oxford. I'm living near Cologne now, which has a very big gay scene and it's all relaxed and easy-going here. No hostility (well, at least not as much as anywhere else i know) and a lot of activities to attend (partys, bars, etc.) is there anything even remotely comparable in oxford? How is the overall attitude towards gay people (from colleges, professors etc.) Literally anything on that topic interests me, so if you can help, just post (or pm me if this makes things easier for you). Thank you all in advance!

I think Wadham college made a special event to celebrate homosexuality. I have no first hand experience but I would imagine that such a liberal and intellectual university would promote a welcoming attitude.
Original post by TickingClock

From my experience, you won't have any problems at all. There's a decent size LGBT community in Oxford, and all colleges and departments will have gay students - and won't make an issue of it at all. Like Parakeet says, Wadham has a specific 'queer' bop, and I'm sure there are other club nights and things out there.
Original post by cyberpoet
You remember correctly. And yes my first MSt was at Oxford too :smile:.

Cant wait to get back to the dreaming spires!

Awesome! what was your first one in?

Also, you might be a good person to ask this given you have experience of the system, from the online course breakdown I see we only have one essay per module. I'm confused as to how the course breakdown of A, B and C etc works though. Do we get to pick form other strands? Ah.. seriously a new system is mind-boggling to me! It's pathetic I know, but I'm taken aback by the complexity of the course compared to my own, pretty straight forward English BA.
(edited 11 years ago)
Awesome! what was your first one in?

Also, you might be a good person to ask this given you have experience of the system, from the online course breakdown I see we only have one essay per module. I'm confused as to how the course breakdown of A, B and C etc works though. Do we get to pick form other strands? Ah.. seriously a new system is mind-boggling to me! It's pathetic I know, but I'm taken aback by the complexity of the course compared to my own, pretty straight forward English BA.

The description on the faculty website says you write an essay for the B course, which runs over both semesters, then you take two different C courses, one in first and one in second semester, and write an essay for each. No essay for the A course. If you really want to you can ditch the B course in favour of additional C courses though not if you want to do a DPhil at Oxford (less of a problem if you want to do a PhD at an institution less interested in 'history of the book'). At the open day they said there's a degree of flexibility with where you take your C courses but they recommend you take them within your strand unless there is an obvious connection to your prospective dissertation subject.

Just working off the info on the faculty website so happy to be corrected by someone in the know.
Reply 3839
Original post by ColinClout
The description on the faculty website says you write an essay for the B course, which runs over both semesters, then you take two different C courses, one in first and one in second semester, and write an essay for each. No essay for the A course. If you really want to you can ditch the B course in favour of additional C courses though not if you want to do a DPhil at Oxford (less of a problem if you want to do a PhD at an institution less interested in 'history of the book'). At the open day they said there's a degree of flexibility with where you take your C courses but they recommend you take them within your strand unless there is an obvious connection to your prospective dissertation subject.
That's all accurate from what I remember. The B course usually involves a short test or, if you're medievalist, a medium-length exam. Either way it's just a thing you have to pass -- the mark doesn't affect your overall classification -- and usually everyone passes it.

Breaking it down another way, normally the year looks like this:
1 C course essay due around the end of the first term
1 C course essay and 1 B course essay due around the end of the second term
1 dissertation due at the end of the third term
(1 B course test mixed in at some point -- this year the timing depended on the strand)

There'll likely also be a small amount of non-assessed work from A and C courses of the 'give a short presentation on X' variety. But the amount and nature of that stuff depends on the course conveners.

Most of us felt that the second term had the heaviest workload. The dissertation is a challenge but you're not bothered by anything else at the same time.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Latest