The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Hi, i have an invitation for a phone interview for this MSc, how did yours go? What type of questions did they ask?
Thanks
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
definetely wrong.

well, i do have question for you all. didnt really spent many thaughts about getting a clarendon scholarship in the first plac but my supervisor pointed something out about which i tought a lot in the las couple of days.

The last sentence in my offer letter (apart from the "we look forward...bla bla") says:
"We have been most impressed by your excellent academic record, and are confident that you have the potential to flourish on your chosen programme of study."

it's quite the definition of a clarendon scholarship holder, isnt it? I mean i dont wanne get my hopes up, thats why im asking you. what do you think about that? maybe its just a sentence everybody gets, after all. then theres nothin to think about. but i wonder whether this is a hint directing to clarendon...so please, thoughts about that! i desperate :/
Reply 882
Original post by TickingClock
definetely wrong.

well, i do have question for you all. didnt really spent many thaughts about getting a clarendon scholarship in the first plac but my supervisor pointed something out about which i tought a lot in the las couple of days.

The last sentence in my offer letter (apart from the "we look forward...bla bla") says:
"We have been most impressed by your excellent academic record, and are confident that you have the potential to flourish on your chosen programme of study."

it's quite the definition of a clarendon scholarship holder, isnt it? I mean i dont wanne get my hopes up, thats why im asking you. what do you think about that? maybe its just a sentence everybody gets, after all. then theres nothin to think about. but i wonder whether this is a hint directing to clarendon...so please, thoughts about that! i desperate :/

Sounds like a standard sentence all successful applicants have on their offer letter. I nonetheless wish you the best in your scholarship application.
Original post by QMHistoryguy
Does one invite (non oxbridge) friends and family to a 'formal' dinner? or is that not the done thing?

MCRs usually have a guest dinner which is the best event to invite non-Oxbridge friends or friends at other colleges to.
definetely wrong.

haha sorry to disappoint you but this is exactly what I and all my friends got last year.

haha this is a bit funny. I wouldn't have imagined Oxford admissions people "dropping hints" etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
ah well. i thought so to, was my supervisors idea :wink:

its not disappointing at all. thanks to all of you :smile:
ah well. i thought so to, was my supervisors idea :wink:

its not disappointing at all. thanks to all of you :smile:

of course this doesn't mean that you won't get the award in the end, and your supervisor seems to have faith in you, so that's a good thing, but yeah I found it funny cause last year I told my bf that it's funny how they say that in the end, and he told me "oh mine doesn't have it" and we actually spent a week thinking only mine does, and I kept making fun of him, joking that my application was better :tongue:
In the end of course we realised his letter also said it, he just hadn't noticed it.
So now this sentence is like a joke between us: we have been most impressed etc etc lol..
Reply 887
Did anyone notice that the Cambridge equivalent of this thread has over 80 thousand views, and this one only just over half of that. Wonder why that is :confused: ?? Is the Other Place more popular??
Original post by cyberpoet
Did anyone notice that the Cambridge equivalent of this thread has over 80 thousand views, and this one only just over half of that. Wonder why that is :confused: ?? Is the Other Place more popular??

I've noticed that too! Maybe it is partly to do with CamSIS, i.e. there is more to fret over with the Cambridge process because we can scrutinise every status change, whereas for Oxford we just wait for the e-mail :wink:

it's because Cambridge admissions are unnaturally slow and people go there to rant. Do not worry, we are still the best. :tongue:
Reply 890

The Cambridge thread is twice as long, so you'd expect it to have more views.
Reply 891
Original post by Xristina

In the end of course we realised his letter also said it, he just hadn't noticed it.
So now this sentence is like a joke between us: we have been most impressed etc etc lol..

hahaha....just happened that to me. I was going to write @TickingClock "dont worry , at least my letter does not say something like that. so may be that matters" then just thought of checking my letter again. and i found the line exists. :tongue:
Reply 892
Question :

I got an offer. They kind of "adjusted" my given name to English standards (adding a letter :biggrin:)

Is that sth I should care about? I still haven't accepted my offer /have till August to do so:smile:/ , been unwell. Think of doing so now, but wonder if I should point out to this "mistake"?

Reply 893
Original post by Diadema
Question :

I got an offer. They kind of "adjusted" my given name to English standards (adding a letter :biggrin:)

Is that sth I should care about? I still haven't accepted my offer /have till August to do so:smile:/ , been unwell. Think of doing so now, but wonder if I should point out to this "mistake"?

It's not a huge problem, and at this stage it doesn't really matter how they spell your name, but it'll probably be best just to get this sorted out as soon as you can, so that their records are correct from the start.
Original post by hobnob
Here you go (though if you prefer to email it may be better to use [email protected] rather than the general enquiries email). She may not be the person who can actually make the decision to recognise your application as valid, but if you call her, she should at least be able to point you to someone who can.
Edit: Failing that, try [email protected]

Thank you, I have just spoken to the application inquiries people (as it was to late to call the person from the department when I got home), who were not really helpful and rather confused me more by saying that well I should send it in signed be some member of staff and than they would accept "anything, even non official transcripts" but that it was now to late but that it would be up to the department in the end. So since that wasn't really helpful I've now sent a rather lengthy email explaining the situation to Kate Dobson, let's hope that'll be more successful.

Original post by Knisper
I'll start the MPhil next year, so it would be nice to meet each other there!

Well let's see what happens. Congrats on getting in though, it seems really early to have an offer already!
Reply 895
Original post by MagLatus
Thank you, I have just spoken to the application inquiries people (as it was to late to call the person from the department when I got home), who were not really helpful and rather confused me more by saying that well I should send it in signed be some member of staff and than they would accept "anything, even non official transcripts" but that it was now to late but that it would be up to the department in the end. So since that wasn't really helpful I've now sent a rather lengthy email explaining the situation to Kate Dobson, let's hope that'll be more successful.

Good luck.:smile:
Original post by Glennie
My department emailed me to confirm receiving my acceptance, but I get the impression that it could vary by department.

Original post by maths2012
My department sent me my Offer, I replied that I want to accept it and the secretary confirmed my acceptance (don't know whether that is generally the case for all departments).

Thanks, you two!
I will send my department another email then :smile:
Hey all!

Any admitted fellows in the COMPUTER SCIENCE Masters program would like to share their profiles with me? (either here or by personal message)

I'm an international student graduating this year with a BSc in Computer Science.
I've applied 2 weeks ago and I really need to know who's getting in:tongue:
Reply 898
Hi, I'm new here, but it would seem that this is the place to get some unofficial news...

Did anyone else apply to the Structural Biology PhD program? :s-smilie: The interviews were last week (on wednesday) and I'm going mad waiting for THE email! Has anyone heard from those guys yet? :confused: Do they usually send offers and rejections at the same time?

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 899
Original post by BallofNerves
I've noticed that too! Maybe it is partly to do with CamSIS, i.e. there is more to fret over with the Cambridge process because we can scrutinise every status change, whereas for Oxford we just wait for the e-mail :wink:

I agree, the Oxford application system is so much better than Cambridge's. Even the college I chose at the time of application got back to me very quickly. If it weren't because the Cambridge course is more suited to my career goals and interests, I would immediately take the Oxford offer and soon forget how painful the Cambridge application process is in comparison. I suspect Cambridge has lost some good students to Oxford and other top universities over the past years because of its irresponsiveness. It is hard to believe they have not realized this and tried to fix it by introducing earlier deadlines, cutting down the number of different offices applications have to go through, and requesting prompt action from the departments.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending