Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Because they reformed the NHS bursary.
    Could something similar happen to Medicine and Dentistry in the future for the 5th year?

EDIT: 23% drop in nursing and midwifery APPLICANTS*
    Apologies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    Because they reformed the NHS bursary.
    Could something similar happen to Medicine and Dentistry in the future for the 5th year?
    I start Adult Nursing at the University of Cumbria next month and I'm so lucky to be in the last bunch of those who will receive the bursary. Honestly think it's so sad that there's going to be such a big effect from dropping it.
    I can't imagine that it'll ever be the same case for m&d, but I would never have thought about it for nursing and midwifery. I guess we'll just have to see
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by courtneywxxd)
    I start Adult Nursing at the University of Cumbria next month and I'm so lucky to be in the last bunch of those who will receive the bursary. Honestly think it's so sad that there's going to be such a big effect from dropping it.
    I can't imagine that it'll ever be the same case for m&d, but I would never have thought about it for nursing and midwifery. I guess we'll just have to see
    Imagine how big the drop will be next year when they actually stop funding those degrees... :/

ReputationRep:
    Imagine how big the drop will be next year when they actually stop funding those degrees... :/
    I know it's gonna be a big shock to the healthcare system in years to come.

ReputationRep:
    Your title is not quite correct. There has been a (huge unprecedented) drop in applicants, not courses.

http://www.nationalhealthexecutive.c...orewrite=false

Such a huge drop must have quality implications and implications for future dropout rates, though. Both of which are major major concerns.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Your title is not quite correct. There has been a (huge unprecedented) drop in applicants, not courses.

http://www.nationalhealthexecutive.c...orewrite=false

Such a huge drop must have quality implications and implications for future dropout rates, though. Both of which are major major concerns.
    Ugh! Just realised my mistake, is there any way to change the title?

ReputationRep:
    Ugh! Just realised my mistake, is there any way to change the title?
    Report it and explain in your report. Or post in Ask a Mod (or whatever it's called these days).

I don't think that losing NHS bursary will have a big effect on medical applications tbh. The demographics of people applying for medicine are very different from nursing, and I think as most med students are expecting to take on lots of student debt, the extra for the bursary years won't have such a big psychological impact.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks @Beska!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.