Turn on thread page Beta

anyone working as Customer Assistant - Picker (TESCO) watch

ReputationRep:
    so what is your role everyday? in store or in a warehouse centre where you pick products and deliver it to the driver to pickup to deliver it to customers?

ReputationRep:
    the location shows its Tesco extra anyone worked there who could tell me what things i might have get

ReputationRep:
    I do this job in a Tesco Extra. You go around the supermarket with a large trolley that has six baskets and a handheld scanner. The scanner tells you what aisle and location you need to go to for each item. Some of the baskets will be shops that need plastic bags (which are on the trolley) and the scanner will tell you what colour bag to use. The no bag shops are a bit less time consuming!

You are timed on how long you take to get each item (pick rate) and also your availability (if you have to sub an item because it's not in stock).

For me it's really flexible hours wise, you can flex up if you can work more hours and it's time and a half pay on Sundays. It is an early start of 6am but you only work about 4 hours and then you have the rest of the day ahead of you. I usually have a short nap when I come home and then get on with school work.

ReputationRep:
    when you started on your first days/ week how was is to much pressure? average job

ReputationRep:
    It's a fairly easy job, and I worked in produce which is supposedly the most difficult in terms of work load. They don't expect a lot from you during the 4 weeks you're there. After that, you meet with your line manager and they assess your progress.

You get a delivery in the warehouse, and you bring that out to place onto the shop floor. You'll get the hang of it in around a month or so, and your manager will be thereabouts to ensure you're getting it. Just hope and pray you get good colleagues, seriously. At my Tesco, I had a really sh*tty colleague who had worked there for like a decade, and didn't really care about finishing his work, and the manager would constantly make me help him. That was one of the reasons I left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reim123)
    when you started on your first days/ week how was is to much pressure? average job
    I would say it took a few weeks to properly get into it. I wasn't used to being on my feed for long so my feet did ache at the end of each shift haha but I'm used to it now.

My pick rate wasn't brilliant when I started but has risen over the past few weeks as I've got used to where everything is. The scanner obviously lets you know where items are located but having an idea of exactly where they are helps.

I have been able to work some extra hours as I wasn't so busy with school work but have dropped back to base hours again as college assignments have been given out.

If you are okay with early starts, its a pretty flexible job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily237)
    I would say it took a few weeks to properly get into it. I wasn't used to being on my feed for long so my feet did ache at the end of each shift haha but I'm used to it now.

My pick rate wasn't brilliant when I started but has risen over the past few weeks as I've got used to where everything is. The scanner obviously lets you know where items are located but having an idea of exactly where they are helps.

I have been able to work some extra hours as I wasn't so busy with school work but have dropped back to base hours again as college assignments have been given out.

If you are okay with early starts, its a pretty flexible job!
    • right .. thanks for that, and what is hourly rate? you get extra bonus when working mornings 6am. could you work as nightshift

ReputationRep:
    cheers

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.