Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone else suffers from this problem? My name is Elizabeth and when I introduce myself most people accept that that is my name but I sometimes get the odd person who shortens it, normally to "Liz" or "Lizzy". I usually just correct them saying simply I prefer Elizabeth and that's it. However my tutor for this year constantly calls me Liz and it's driving me mad. I corrected him multiple times, starting from the first day I met him, but he still does it! Whenever I email him I sign off as Elizabeth but he always replies addressing me as Liz. I cannot afford to get angry at him but I've seriously run out of ways to correct him politely! Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you usually deal with it? I've never met someone this stubborn about it! Or am I just overreacting?

Sorry for the rant I just needed to let it out. Thank you if you made it this far
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone else suffers from this problem? My name is Elizabeth and when I introduce myself most people accept that that is my name but I sometimes get the odd person who shortens it, normally to "Liz" or "Lizzy". I usually just correct them saying simply I prefer Elizabeth and that's it. However my tutor for this year constantly calls me Liz and it's driving me mad. I corrected him multiple times, starting from the first day I met him, but he still does it! Whenever I email him I sign off as Elizabeth but he always replies addressing me as Liz. I cannot afford to get angry at him but I've seriously run out of ways to correct him politely! Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you usually deal with it? I've never met someone this stubborn about it! Or am I just overreacting?

Sorry for the rant I just needed to let it out. Thank you if you made it this far
    Just speak to him after class or something if it is offending you that much, I personally think Liz is quite a nice name.

ReputationRep:
    He's driving you mad :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Don't say I prefer Elizabeth, Say my name is Elizabeth not whatever they called you. As for the rude tutor, if you are in class with other people and he calls on you for an answer using Liz. Don;t answer the question say my name is Elizabeth. A little embarrassment is all he needs. E-mails--next time he sends you one saying Liz, simply email back in capital letters my name is ELIZABETH. It is not rude to insist someone call you by your name, IT'S YOUR NAME, whats wrong with this man, don't let him bully you. Stand up for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    1944: Storming Normandy beaches. No problem.

2017: Name shortening. *cries and complains*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all,

Sorry for the rant just needed to let it out. Thank you if you made it this far
    Used to happen to me. I moved schools a lot when I was a kid so I get called whoever previously had a name that sounded close to my name (but isn't my name). Teachers were just too lazy to learn a new name midway thru term.

I just ignored them until they called me by my name. Made 'em think I was mute/ stuck up/ a retard but I didn't care.

If grown ups want respect, they should start showing respect, u'know?

ReputationRep:
    Eh, people use all sorts of variations on my name and it's often not the correct one (I use a less common variation). It doesn't bother me a huge amount.

If it does bother you you just need to be more blunt about it. If he uses 'liz' in an email make sure your first sentence is 'it's Elizabeth, not Liz' and if he calls you liz in person then immediately respond with 'my name is Elizabeth, I hate liz'. It will feel rude but tbh it's pretty rude on his part not to listen to a simple request to call you by a certain name.

ReputationRep:
    If he replies saying "Liz" just say Elizabeth. If he ignores you, just say my name is Elizabeth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just have a quick word with him about it.
    I'm the opposite and hate it when people use my whole name but I understand the feeling so if its really getting to you just tell him, he probably doesn't realise it bothers you and doesn't really notice himself doing it.
    I always shorten peoples names to one syllable just out of habit and no ones ever told me it bothers them but if they did of course I'd stop!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.