Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Backstory:
    Unfortunately, my university experience has been far less exciting than the majority of everyone else's. Throughout A-Levels I was uncertain of what I wanted to do with my life as many other student are. I thought I wanted to do music, then education and finally English Literature. I applied to universities with the combined course of "English and Music" which was a huge mistake. The two subjects don't even correlate and that's why only low ranking university's offer the course. Anyway, I didn't really know what "Russel Group" unis were until the last few weeks of sixth form by which point it was too late to change my uni choices. So I was stuck with my firm at Liverpool Hope.

Why not to go:
    There are so many things I strongly dislike about this uni I honestly don't know where to begin.
    - First of all, unless you're doing one of the most popular courses (Education / Social Work) then expect to be in a relatively small classroom for your 'lectures' where about 10 people turn up. Only 3 people turn up to my tutorial group on Thursdays. 3. The classes are so small and you feel as if you're in a college or school rather than a university. This is further intensified by the size of the uni which is probably the size of a large sixth form in its entirety.
    - The accommodation is dreadful. If you live in the old building then you are literally living with 30 other people. No flats, just a long corridor of rooms. The kitchens can barely fit 2 people in and the 'single beds' aren't even full singles.
    - The university doesn't allow guests. At all. They literally have hotels for guests to stay in on campus (which they have to pay up to £60 a night for) rather than just staying in your uni room. You can actually get kicked out of halls if you are caught having a guest round.
    - The uni is very heavily catholic. They don't preach their beliefs on you or make you pray or anything but you can definitely feel the religious atmosphere. Unless you're religious then it's pretty uncomfortable.
    - You will feel so dumb. I didn't do terribly in A-Levels (BBC) and I am by no means saying that everyone at the uni is dumb. But most of the people you see walking around campus look like complete outcasts and the majority of people at the uni barely scraped a C in their A-Levels. Some are even let in with as low as DDC.
    - The university is in the middle of nowhere. It is 40 minutes on the bus to get to the town centre which makes nights out in Liverpool very expensive. The nightlife in Liverpool is great, its just a chore getting back to halls. There are also no supermarkets nearby apart from an expensive corner shop so that makes food shopping really difficult.

Overall, I strongly do not recommend this university. After I have finished my first year I am transferring to a better university because I am honestly just very depressed here. Really do your research into your university choices and don't make the same mistake I did.

ReputationRep:
    Just bumping this thread, asking if anyone else who has studied here has opinions? Me and my son are going to see it in the morning, before seeing Man Met in the afternoon. Hope looks really pretty and i've heard that students call lecturers by their first names and everyone is very friendly. I know in emails arranging for us to come and look around they have been so helpful. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I went here and the small class sizes are a blessing. The main campus Hope Park is in the Childwall area of the city. You can choose to live in the main campus, Aigburth Park (lived here) or they have halls in the city centre. The OP just picked the cheapest halls they have. There are also nicer new halls on the main campus I had friends live there and they were great. Having one on one access to your professors is invaluable believe me. I went on to a bigger Uni after and would have traded it for Hope any day. They really helped me succeed. Theres a Tesco not far from the main campus and a tesco at the top of the road from Aigburth Park Id recommend living in Aigburth Park. Theres a train station bars take aways and a 15 min bus to the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    No offense but I wouldn't pay any attention to the person who wrote the first post, firstly to call everyone at the university "dumb" is just rude and to say they are outcasts maybe you would have enjoyed uni abitt more if you got to know people instead of judging them. Secondly, the small class sizes allow you to get to know everybody and get extra support from you're tutors as they can out more time and effort into students as they font have 100+ in a lecture (although of course some people may enjoy the much larger class sizes).

As for the location "the middle of nowhere" is certainly not correct, hope is in childwall area of Liverpool (I am from Liverpool hence why I know) which is actually a very nice area of the city, there are numerous restaurants and shoos nearby and also it's not far from aigburth which has plenty of pubs and what not. As for getting to the city centre, there is a 24/7 bus service that runs from right outside the uni straight to town (the city centre) so its easily accessible and is not "40 minutes" away its around a 15/20 minute journey.There is also taxis available which cost no more than £10 to the centre so shared between 3 friends its about £3.33 which is hardly breaking the bank.

As for the accommodation I'd suggest you go and look for yourself as only you and your son will know weather he likes it or not, I personally find the accommodation to be very good and also fairly cheap compared to other universities.

Also it's worth pointing out that in the 17/18 university league tables hope was voted 4th in north west above john moores and edge hill

Overall I personally would recommend hope but of course its down to how your son feels about each university, just don't let posts fool you into thinking its horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for the replies. Unfortunately we never got over to England as we missed our flight from Belfast due to unforeseen circumstances. Still waiting to hear from them whether he has been offered a place or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjbrien)
    I went here and the small class sizes are a blessing. The main campus Hope Park is in the Childwall area of the city. You can choose to live in the main campus, Aigburth Park (lived here) or they have halls in the city centre. The OP just picked the cheapest halls they have. There are also nicer new halls on the main campus I had friends live there and they were great. Having one on one access to your professors is invaluable believe me. I went on to a bigger Uni after and would have traded it for Hope any day. They really helped me succeed. Theres a Tesco not far from the main campus and a tesco at the top of the road from Aigburth Park Id recommend living in Aigburth Park. Theres a train station bars take aways and a 15 min bus to the city centre.
    Hi there, you said you lived at Aigburth park, what was it like? I'll be moving there in September. Also are they strict on the no guests policy?

ReputationRep:
    Just reading their Codes of Conduct and it said one method they use is imposing Community Service. Do all Universities have this? Never heard of this before. [ But then I haven't read lots of different ones].
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I hope that the following will help answer some of the questions on this thread!

Community service is pretty common at most universities. It can sometimes be used to replace fines, and is also a way for a student to contribute to the community. At Liverpool Hope, every student conduct case is looked at on a case by case basis.

While Liverpool Hope has a policy of no guests, they do have onsite rooms that you can book for your guests and you can find some more info here: https://www.hope.ac.uk/halls/accommodationpolicies/

In this video, student Emily Burroughs talks about spending a year living in St Michael's Hall at Aigburth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R2eA40dwoU

You can also hear from one of our Aigburth Hall Tutors here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it_LZkX5Tfw and here is a short video tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjMhuYbAWAo

Hope that helps! Andrea (Hope Uni Rep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose_Greenwood)
    Backstory:
    Unfortunately, my university experience has been far less exciting than the majority of everyone else's. Throughout A-Levels I was uncertain of what I wanted to do with my life as many other student are. I thought I wanted to do music, then education and finally English Literature. I applied to universities with the combined course of "English and Music" which was a huge mistake. The two subjects don't even correlate and that's why only low ranking university's offer the course. Anyway, I didn't really know what "Russel Group" unis were until the last few weeks of sixth form by which point it was too late to change my uni choices. So I was stuck with my firm at Liverpool Hope.

Why not to go:
    There are so many things I strongly dislike about this uni I honestly don't know where to begin.
    - First of all, unless you're doing one of the most popular courses (Education / Social Work) then expect to be in a relatively small classroom for your 'lectures' where about 10 people turn up. Only 3 people turn up to my tutorial group on Thursdays. 3. The classes are so small and you feel as if you're in a college or school rather than a university. This is further intensified by the size of the uni which is probably the size of a large sixth form in its entirety.
    - The accommodation is dreadful. If you live in the old building then you are literally living with 30 other people. No flats, just a long corridor of rooms. The kitchens can barely fit 2 people in and the 'single beds' aren't even full singles.
    - The university doesn't allow guests. At all. They literally have hotels for guests to stay in on campus (which they have to pay up to £60 a night for) rather than just staying in your uni room. You can actually get kicked out of halls if you are caught having a guest round.
    - The uni is very heavily catholic. They don't preach their beliefs on you or make you pray or anything but you can definitely feel the religious atmosphere. Unless you're religious then it's pretty uncomfortable.
    - You will feel so dumb. I didn't do terribly in A-Levels (BBC) and I am by no means saying that everyone at the uni is dumb. But most of the people you see walking around campus look like complete outcasts and the majority of people at the uni barely scraped a C in their A-Levels. Some are even let in with as low as DDC.
    - The university is in the middle of nowhere. It is 40 minutes on the bus to get to the town centre which makes nights out in Liverpool very expensive. The nightlife in Liverpool is great, its just a chore getting back to halls. There are also no supermarkets nearby apart from an expensive corner shop so that makes food shopping really difficult.

Overall, I strongly do not recommend this university. After I have finished my first year I am transferring to a better university because I am honestly just very depressed here. Really do your research into your university choices and don't make the same mistake I did.
    Completely agree with everything said here and there are so many many more reasons why you should avoid this university. Not in any way worth the amount of debt you will find yourself in, both financially and academically. Avoid at all costs. Terribly run university with under qualified, biased and unprofessional tutors. Liverpool is a fantastic city and there are other great unis (John Moore's, uni of, and edge hill) which are definitely worth looking into. Hope university is a business and I am determined to cut off the supply line. A decent looking university and campus says NOTHING about quality of teaching and learning.

ReputationRep:
    @nohope... member since ...10 seconds ago!

Not all Uni's are for all ppl... what's good for the gander isn't always good for the goose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I dont know about Liverpool Hope, I would urge applicants to be wary of many (not all) of the Unis 'that used to be teaching training colleges' - that is the mentality that many of them still have. A very small range of courses (stuff related to teaching & PE for example) and no seriously academic staff because they are still essentially vocationally focussed.

Yes, these small Unis are great if you are very shy/unsure or if you are totally interested in their 'main' subject areas. But for anyone else, its worth looking at the ex-Polys instead (Brighton, Derby, Salford, Bournemouth, Birmingham City, Northumbria etc etc) as these are Unis offering a wider range of courses (and therefore have a wider range of students) and have bigger/better facilities/campuses.

ReputationRep:
    & btw.... ALL uni's are a business 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you don't live in the halls, your uni experience will never be complete. Its amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Yes offense!!!! This post is full of filthy lies about the uni. I graduated from there last year and all of my friends studied there, would admit with no hesitation that HOPE gives you the best university experience. I am a muslim and I never felt influenced by any other faith. The halls are lovely and I made a large number of friends there for lifetime. We all will be indebted to Hope for giving us such beautiful experience. Btw Hope is the only uni from LP that took GOLD!

(Original post by Rose_Greenwood)
    Backstory:

Why not to go:

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Whilst I dont know about Liverpool Hope, I would urge applicants to be wary of many (not all) of the Unis 'that used to be teaching training colleges' - that is the mentality that many of them still have. A very small range of courses (stuff related to teaching & PE for example) and no seriously academic staff because they are still essentially vocationally focussed.
    Hi everyone,

If you are wondering about teaching excellence at Liverpool Hope Uni - good news! We have recently been awarded Gold in the government's Teaching Excellence Framework.

Around 1 in 5 of UK higher education providers achieved Gold - Liverpool Hope University was one of them! Liverpool Hope is one of only three universities in the North West, and the only one in Liverpool, to gain the Gold rating. A number of Russell Group universities did not meet the Gold standard. We're also in the top 7 universities in the country for the percentage of PhD qualified staff.

The Teaching Excellence Framework is based on data and evidence gathered over three years. It measures excellence in teaching quality, learning environment, and student outcomes - the extent to which all students achieve their educational and professional goals. The ratings were decided by an independent panel of experts including academics, students and employer representatives.

Hope that helps - if you would like any more information about Hope, please let us know!
    Best wishes,
    Andrea (Hope Uni Rep)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.