Nursing funding for second (third?) degree in Wales

Watch
Charlotteasking
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello!

In 2011 I went to Sheffield Uni to study English but dropped out in the first month of my second year due to health reasons. Because I dropped out due to health reasons I was given funding to enroll onto an International Relations course at Sussex Uni in 2013 and graduated in 2016. My course was incredible, I learned a lot and has pushed me into wanting to study nursing. I know that funding was available for a second degree if it's a healthcare science, but is that going to still be the same in Wales for 2017/18 entry? Would they reject me because I technically would be enrolling onto a THIRD (rather than second) University course (cant get enough of those degrees...)?

Any help would be much appreciated - I'd love to be a nurse.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Charlotteasking)
Hello!

In 2011 I went to Sheffield Uni to study English but dropped out in the first month of my second year due to health reasons. Because I dropped out due to health reasons I was given funding to enroll onto an International Relations course at Sussex Uni in 2013 and graduated in 2016. My course was incredible, I learned a lot and has pushed me into wanting to study nursing. I know that funding was available for a second degree if it's a healthcare science, but is that going to still be the same in Wales for 2017/18 entry? Would they reject me because I technically would be enrolling onto a THIRD (rather than second) University course (cant get enough of those degrees...)?

Any help would be much appreciated - I'd love to be a nurse.
Wales aren't as yet scrapping NHS bursaries so I think you would be able to get funding, give sfw a call and they should be able to help.
jules321
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As I understand it, you would get the NHS bursary but not the student maintenance grants or loans.
Jadamilano92
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Same sort of situation, I've recently withdrawn from my second degree as student finance messed up my entitlement.

I was originally given a tuition fee Loan for my second degree because I was on a course that attracted the NHS bursary (the guidelines change every year which is annoying)

Student finance insisted that my previous study wouldn't be taken into account because of this. However 6 weeks after enrolment, they Informed me that they had made a mistake and that I was now liable to pay the university.
With the new guidelines I'm worndering if I can get funding to do an NHS funded course. Taking into account I've technically studied twice.

This is for England, any replies would be appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (280)
30.3%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (445)
48.16%

Watched Threads