Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I chose to take a gap year at the start of A2 as I thought it would be more beneficial for me than just going straight to university. And while it has been, I cannot shake the feeling of loneliness sometimes.

I have a pretty great job. I work part time (up until early afternoon Mon-Fri) at a local school as a teaching assistant. I also work with some lovely people, but they all have their own families and therefore don't exactly have the same interests as I do.

My boyfriend also took a gap year (which is great) but he has a completely different schedule to me, often working until very late which makes it really hard to see each other.

Most of my friends from 6th form have gone straight to university and have pretty much forgotten about me (which is understandable 0 uni is a busy time) and don't really make the effort to hang out whenever they're back in London. And those who are on a gap year, are away travelling!

In terms of uni next year I am very happy. I have unconditionals at SOAS, Bath, Bristol and UCL. But I can't wait until september to make friends.

I don't want to come home after work to an empty house and vegetate with Netflix wishing I didn't feel so depressed and bored.

So my question is: Is anyone else out there feeling like this? Is there a group chat for people on their gap year? How can I get out there and make friends my age in London!?

All advice/replies are much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically in the same situation, if you find the gap year group chat, feel free to add me :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about using a website like meetup or gumtree where there are always people posting for fun things to do? Maybe you could join the gym, do dance classes, book a language course. Also try couchsurfing, they are regular events on week days and weekends like pub meet ups and activities which are a great way to meet people from all around the world. Try to keep yourself busy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.