The Student Room Group

Oxbridge at what point is reapplying not worth it?

So after having sat a few practice exams I Started of on C borderline D grades and am now Getting Low A grades just scraping them.

so I was thinking what happens if I blow my exams Maths A levels or Step exams or what happens if I Get perfect grades and still get rejected.

The common nightmare I have is that I get A*A* in maths and Further Maths and grade 1 in both step 1 and 2 and get rejected flat out without even an interview.

I think this nightmare keeps occurring because I know due to my academic background and also lack of reference this is highly probable if I applied with only those grades (obviously sitting the other A level and Step 3 the following year yes this is within the two year period) My past grades were not awful per say but by Oxbridge standards were. ( note past grades refers to previous qualifications Eg prior degree and GCSEs etc)

so my line of thinking is if I get A*A* Distinction Distinction apply and get rejected sit step 3 the following year and reapply assuming I get A/A* for the final A level and 1 or better in step 3

if I score A*A* distinction/ grade 1 or A*A* Grade 1 and Grade 1 know I will probably not even get an interview but sit step 3 and reapply anyway if A/A* and 1 or better in step 3

if A*A* grade 1 and grade 2 and offer from Imperial might not get again go to imperial if no Imperial offer sit Step 3 and step 2 again and reapply if grade 1 and 1 otherwise go to place confirmed.

anything worse just give up on Cambridge ambition,

If I get an offer and fail to meet it probably give up unless they ask me for distinction distinction in step 2 and 3 and I get Distinction and grade 1 and still get they dont allow me onto course then reapply.

In all other circumstances give up. I think my maths is very specific but then Oxbridge have entrance exams for all kinds of subjects

and my attitude is if you exceed or meet the standard entry requirements then its common sense to take a year out and reapply unless you have specific circumstances that make this difficult or you have received offers from other places that you cannot be very comfortable with probability of getting an offer from again.

I think though that if you miss the standard entry requirements its not worth taking a year out and reapplying as you likely wont get an offer and are probably just wasting your time. Unless you have specific mitigating circumstances that you can reasonably believe Oxbridge will be forgiving off. Too many variables of that to list but I guess you can make your own assessment of that should it apply?

I was wondering what other people thought of all this, whether people think I am on the right lines or a bit out, and if there are many stories of people reapplying with meeting/exceeding the entry requirements and been accepted/rejected or missing the entry requirements and reapplying with sitting whatever exams again and then been accepted/ rejected?

Thoughts stories etc?
Reply 1
Original post by Luke7456
The common nightmare I have is that I get A*A* in maths and Further Maths and grade 1 in both step 1 and 2 and get rejected flat out without even an interview.

If you apply witj A*A* 1,2 in STEP II and III achieved I guarantee you will get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I skimmed your post, but you seem like you're giving up already? You won't achieve the stars if you dont believe you can get them.

Just apply and work your best. You have 5 options, it's like you'll get straight rejections from the other 4, so just use one on Cambridge if you want to stand a chance there.
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
If you apply witj A*A* 1,2 in STEP II and III achieved I guarantee you will get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am sitting Step 1 and 2 this year sorry that probably got confusing my plan was to sit step 1 and 2 this year I know that Cambridge don't care much for Step 1 and only accept step 2 and 3 but their is no way I will be ready for Step 3 this year.
and Cambridge whilst obviously my dream are not the only uni in my sights a grade 1 in either Step 1 or 2 should make an offer from Warwick likely in the event I get a grade A or B in maths or further Maths I know this will sound utterly ridiculous but I probably am capable of getting an BB in maths and further maths then grade 1 or distinction in step papers, I can make silly mistakes when anxious or read questions from part of the autism etc.

If I balls up 2 questions on A level papers It might be enough to drop me down to B grades yet with Step if I got myself to the point of understanding it and did 6 questions I could still get 4 more or less right and have enough scraps to put me over the line for a grade 1. resitting the bad modules the next year making an attempt at Warwick still viable.

so Hypothetically if I got A*A* and grade 1 and 2 in step 1 and 2 in any configuration eg Step 1 grade 1 Step 2 grade 2 or Step 1 grade 2 and Step 1 grade 1 would that still make an interview basically guaranteed?
Reply 4
so Hypothetically if I got A*A* and grade 1 and 2 in step 1 and 2 in any configuration eg Step 1 grade 1 Step 2 grade 2 or Step 1 grade 2 and Step 1 grade 1 would that still make an interview basically guaranteed?

Yes
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Yes

Good to know it's probs you get Ann interview by will be rejected anyway in that situation I don't know for sure though. That's probably influenced my dreams tonight now though because I haven't take. My brain pills yet and if you take them late at night they are known to cause weird dreams.

The calculus dream was cool but they won't always be that benifitical
Original post by jneill
If you apply with A*A* 1,2 in STEP II and III achieved I guarantee you will get an interview.

THIS

What I say to people usually is that if your A2 grades are strong for your course and you want to do the course go for it. Be prepared to expect the worst but equally, if you feel like you'd regret not doing it then it's only travel money, the time on the app and a couple of days (and financing/figuring out a couple months of the gap year). But one thing's for sure: work hard and keep going!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by auburnstar
THIS

What I say to people usually is that if your A2 grades are strong for your course and you want to do the course go for it. Be prepared to expect the worst but equally, if you feel like you'd regret not doing it then it's only travel money, the time on the app and a couple of days (and financing/figuring out a couple months of the gap year). But one thing's for sure: work hard and keep going!!

well I have not even applied this thread is just based on the fear that even if I get the grades I might still be rejected.
Reply 8
well I have not even applied this thread is just based on the fear that even if I get the grades I might still be rejected.

You're admitting defeat before you've even begun. Do your best and give it a go, you never know what'll happen :smile:
Original post by liziepie
You're admitting defeat before you've even begun. Do your best and give it a go, you never know what'll happen :smile:

Echoing this sentiment

The only way to not get in is not to apply, as they say :smile:

There are so many things we do in life that are not guaranteed like applying for jobs or internships or revising for an exam for a certain grade or even trying to make new friends or relationships. And yet we do them, because despite the uncertainty of life the opportunity of trying (and learning!) is valuable.

I understand the fear a lot. I applied with a B at AS in my main subject and I was very concerned. Yea ok maybe the outcome wasn't favourable this time but I learned a lot from the (slightly painful and ego-bruising but also wonderful) process. Yes, of course, statistically speaking the chances aren't super high. But the chances are 0% if you don't give it a go.
Reply 10
Original post by auburnstar
Echoing this sentiment

The only way to not get in is not to apply, as they say :smile:

There are so many things we do in life that are not guaranteed like applying for jobs or internships or revising for an exam for a certain grade or even trying to make new friends or relationships. And yet we do them, because despite the uncertainty of life the opportunity of trying (and learning!) is valuable.

I understand the fear a lot. I applied with a B at AS in my main subject and I was very concerned. Yea ok maybe the outcome wasn't favourable this time but I learned a lot from the (slightly painful and ego-bruising but also wonderful) process. Yes, of course, statistically speaking the chances aren't super high. But the chances are 0% if you don't give it a go.

two conclusions from signing up to Dr Alices course I can already tell from the questions she has asked us to do that she is an excellent teacher
2. I am beginning to think maybe I am not as good at maths as i thought.

But yeah fight till the end for the goal, I didn't say I wouldn't apply, I will always apply if I think I have a realistic chance A*A + 2 2 in steps is my min for applying though I mean I get a 2 and a 3 in steps or I get an AA or worse in maths and further maths at that point it becomes a wasted application.

but yeah If I think I even have a chance in hell in getting an offer I would apply.
but yeah If I think I even have a chance in hell in getting an offer I would apply.

best of luck!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending