Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice needed for PGDE 2018 Entry (Scotland) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am hoping to apply for the PGDE in Scotland for 2018 entry. I know I am early but want to get myself organised to put myself in the best position when it comes time to apply at the end of the year.

I was wondering if anyone who has applied for entry this year would be able to give any advice on what I should be doing job wise to put me in the best position.

I began working as a Pupil Support Assistant for Edinbugh Council in October 2016 and intend on staying there until it is time to got to Uni, but is there anything I can be doing in the evenings, weekend or holidays to get me more expereince that would help.

I left my undergrad in 2005 and have since then been working in childrens nurseries and as a support worker for vulnerable kids and families but I feel this has made my expereince pretty limited and I obviously want to make my application stand out as much as possible.

I was not able to apply for 2017 entry as I do not have the level of Maths needed so will be applying to do that open learning 2017/18.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Kim

ReputationRep:
    Your everyday job doesn't really matter. On my course we had an ex-solicitor, ex-nurse and ex-police.

I'd shadow at any primary age group you haven't worked with. A day or two to put on your application would be fine.

If you wanted to do something in the evenings then a youth group, Brownies, cubs etc are also useful but again certainly not mandatory.

I'd recommend plenty of reading- whatever the current curriculum docs are plus any books you can get from your local library on teaching. Prep for the interview. Get a fair all round view of what the job entails, good and bad and how you might deal with difficult children. Watch some documentaries online- The Secret Life of 5 Year Olds is great for developmental understanding.

Also, don't worry if you don't get in first time. Not everyone does. Use that time to improve your quals- take the next level of maths units you can. But very good luck for this year coming!

ReputationRep:
    I think it sounds to me like you have plenty of experience already! Most uni's seem to be asking for 'experience working with children of primary age' so anything you can get will go in your favour. I started the PGDE secondary teaching a few years ago but left due to problems at home and to get in all I done was volunteer 1 day a week in my local school.

I will also be applying for 2018 entry so hopefully we are giving ourselves a good head start! The uni's are also asking for knowledge of the current education curriculum so I would read up on that. I already have some knowledge on this as we also used this us secondary teaching but that was in 2012 so I'll need to remind myself about it all.

Where are you hoping to study? I'll be applying to Strathclyde, glasgow, UWS and edinburgh but Strathclyde is my number 1 choice x

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm in the same boat as you guys- wanting to get an early start and do the best application possible. I am managing to get a few days of experience in primary schools and nurseries here and there, I am a Rainbows leader and I volunteer at a forest school once a week. Other than that- I have to keep up my day job in order to be able to finance a year of study and all that entails as well as pay my mortgage and bills (sadly). I have been stressing a bit that my experience will be too limited. However your responses are encouraging. I am hoping that my experience in primary schools and volunteering with primary age children, plus a good bit of swotting up on the curriculum and teaching/education in general should help me to put in the best application that I can with the experience I have.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ya, I am hoping To apply to Edinburgh in 2018. I hav even retaken my GCSE at a higher level to try and get a B. I currently have a C. I currently reside in northern ireland and so would need to read up on scottish curriculum. Does anyone happen to know of any scottish universities that allow admission to their PGDE primary programmes with a grade C in GCSE maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkiiee)
    Hi ya, I am hoping To apply to Edinburgh in 2018. I hav even retaken my GCSE at a higher level to try and get a B. I currently have a C. I currently reside in northern ireland and so would need to read up on scottish curriculum. Does anyone happen to know of any scottish universities that allow admission to their PGDE primary programmes with a grade C in GCSE maths?
    The min maths is GCSE B at all uni's that offer PGDE as its the GTCS requirment - also whatever quals you're pending you need to have the results prior the start date so you might want to check this.

ReputationRep:
    I still have my final year to do next year...do the universities in scotland not accept pending results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkiiee)
    I still have my final year to do next year...do the universities in scotland not accept pending results?

Yes, as long as you have the results before the pgde prog starts. GCSE's tend to release the results *after* the prog starts therefore you're unlikely to get it. you should email or call and ask for their advise there's prob other maths quals you can do instead.

ReputationRep:
    I already resat my GCSE maths a few weeks ago. Resits are in January. Results fir those are March

ReputationRep:
    I am in the process of applying for PGDE Primary at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde and UWS. I have limited classroom experience (apart from a weeks work experience in a primary school back when i was about 15), however I've found that local clubs are usually more than willing to let you help out if you find you cannot get classroom experience (atm im stuggling to get into classrooms as i work mon-fri 9.30-2.30). That being said, Im hoping to be able to take a week or two off work at some point so i am able to get a little more classroom based experience under my belt.

I'm more concerned about what the timetabling for the course will be like if I'm successful as i live a fair travelling distance away from the universities and I am a carer for my mum also so that will be something difficult to juggle! Also hoping my B.A Hons in Business wont be a hindrance either.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm taking higher English and Nat 5 maths this year with the hope of applying to get in 2018 or 2019 (more likely with results times etc). I have a BA in childhood practice from Strathclyde and an HNC in childcare from 2000. I've worked in a lot of childcare settings and now manage an out of school care(for last 5 years). I'm starting volunteering at my sons school in the next few weeks, just one morning a week as I would struggle to fit anything more in. I help out with football team coaching and have 2 kids and 2 step kids. Applying for strath, Glasgow and UWS. X J

ReputationRep:
    I have just completed a post graduate in Childhood Practice. I also have an BA (Hons) in Behavioural Science, Level 4 Early Education and an HNC in Child Care. I am currently a manager of a children's nursery but on completing my Childhood practice studies, I feel that I would now like a change in my career and get back to working with the children (albeit Primary age). I have experience in working with After School Care aged children and also volunteer at my local school once a week. When are people starting to apply to Strathclyde, Glasgow, UWS? Also in regards to funding, are people applying to SAAS first or universities first? My local school may also be able to assist in the funding process but this is not guaranteed. any advice of the application process and how it works would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck with all your applications. You never know, maybe we will all end up studying together :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you! I am applying for 2018 for a Postgrad in primary education but wanting my application to stand out more. I'm also just about to start a maths course with the Open University as I don't have the maths requirements just now.

Does anyone know how to actually go about applying for the Postgrad? I have had a look on UCAS but it seems difficult!

Thanks!

Rebecca

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, i submitted my app yesterday for ed, gla, strath and uws! Submitting through ucas is actually pretty simple, if you have all your exam results from school etc handy it makes it a hell of a lot easier to do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently filling out my application for PGDE Primary at Glasgow, Strathclyde, UWS, Edinburgh and Dundee! The personal statement is definitely the hardest, making it stand out is so important! How did you all get on with writing yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiwiDream)
    I'm currently filling out my application for PGDE Primary at Glasgow, Strathclyde, UWS, Edinburgh and Dundee! The personal statement is definitely the hardest, making it stand out is so important! How did you all get on with writing yours?
    I got on not too bad! i know a few people who have done the PDGE recently & did a 4 years honours primary education course and I reached out to them to see what to include and what not to include! Massive part of it is wanting to know about what experience you have with kids etc & why your skills etc go alongside the aims of the course and why you want to be a teacher! Also, get someone to proofread your statement - youll be surprised at the little mistakes you wont notice! I've applied to Glasgow, Strath, UWS (Lanarkshire) and Edinburgh also - already have an interview lined up! As much as your personal statement is important, i think the your reference plays a HUGE part in the overall application! I had to change my referee and its only since then that I got acknowledgments of my application & the interview

ReputationRep:
    Yay congrats on getting an interview this early! Who with? 😊
    (Original post by laurenmurray3112)
    I got on not too bad! i know a few people who have done the PDGE recently & did a 4 years honours primary education course and I reached out to them to see what to include and what not to include! Massive part of it is wanting to know about what experience you have with kids etc & why your skills etc go alongside the aims of the course and why you want to be a teacher! Also, get someone to proofread your statement - youll be surprised at the little mistakes you wont notice! I've applied to Glasgow, Strath, UWS (Lanarkshire) and Edinburgh also - already have an interview lined up! As much as your personal statement is important, i think the your reference plays a HUGE part in the overall application! I had to change my referee and its only since then that I got acknowledgments of my application & the interview

ReputationRep:
    I'm also putting my application together, and am looking for a bit of help.

I am currently completing a National 5 Maths course to meet the last requirement, will my application still be considered?

Also, I've added my choices but each asked about spent/unspent convictions. The help box didn't make this much clearer, did you all tick the box or leave it empty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmurray3112)
    Well done on getting an interview. Exciting times ahead for you. I am hoping to submit my application form this week as just received my reference and having my personal statement proof read. Where is your interview for?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.