Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there bliss in ignorance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the common notion that "dumber" people are happier/more satisfied with their lives is true?

If yes, is the deciding factor lack of knowledge or lack of intelligence?

Does this mean worldwide efforts to educate children effectively are counterproductive to the utilitarian goal of making as many people as possible as happy as possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanaelion)
    Do you think the common notion that "dumber" people are happier/more satisfied with their lives is true?

Does this mean worldwide efforts to educate children effectively are counterproductive to the utilitarian goal of making as many people as possible as happy as possible?
    I think it varies, in a sense. People might be 'happier' not knowing about awful problems in the world, but given they might also be the ones who could come up with a solutions, even that in it's own right isn't really a benefit.

In the strictest sense though, it depends what you're ignorant of; being ignorant of opportunities or knowledge isn't going to benefit you at all, for example.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I tend to find smarter people are more self-critical

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It really does depend what one is being 'dumb about', but for the most part yes. Probably one of the easiest indicators would be existential crises; if you're not very intelligent and don't think a lot then you're probably not going to wonder about the meaning of your life and you won't risk plunging yourself into existential depression.

But beyond that, if you're ignorant about trouble in the world then it still works out better for you. People are undoubtly happier buying clothes, eating food etc. if they don't know the exploit that went into producing said product in the first place.

One of the ironic things about trying to care in the world and be a 'virtuous' person so you can be happy, is that it ends up making you unhappier as then you start to care about all the injustice in the world; of which there is a lot. Ignorance really is bliss sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is bliss in ignorance.

As I am getting older I'm finding myself becoming less and less ignorant but less happier.

ReputationRep:
    No, ignorance tends to lead to suffering.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think ignorance can lead to bliss as the more you know, the more you come across negative stuff (like the fact humans have caused the extinction of countless other species).

(Original post by KillChrist)
    No, ignorance tends to lead to suffering.
    But I also think this view is right. Ignorance exposes you to being taken advantage of.

So ignorance is probably short term bliss leading to later problems. Depends what we're talking about though.

The whole intelligence vs ignorance thing is really not a discussion I personally ever wish to engage with as I think people on the whole place to much emphasis on this weird construct of intelligence which in itself can be so many different things.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just look at how happy the average London Met student is....

I don't think there's a conflict between being educated in school and being ignorant of the kind of things that make people unhappy. They are two different things. Learning arithmetic is not on par with learning about the big, unsolved problems in the world, in terms of its capacity to make you depressed (which is something a lot of people run from like the plague).

There is some truth to the saying. The happiest people I've known are often the ones who don't worry about politics or news or the ongoing culture wars. I don't think that necessarily makes them dumb because much of the time they choose to be ignorant of these things - many apolitical people will tell you that they just can't be bothered with the stress and worry, they would rather be uninformed than misinformed, etc. - and they usually channel their intelligence into other areas (academics being the obvious one).

That said, I won't deny there are those who just aren't very thoughtful about anything...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Yes - If i dip my testicles in your brew and as youre drinking it i show you proof of what i just did, you will likely wretch and feel terrible. If you remain ignorant to my testicles in your brew, you will contently drink it without knowing and feeling bad. Same applies for larger principles such as animal abuse, poverty, lack of god.

No - Because smart people make tangible improvements to the quality of living for everyone. Ever had a headache thats killing you, 2 ibuprofens you stored away that cost 1p each are a quick remedy. You wouldnt have the remedy without smart people

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shadowdweller)
      I think it varies, in a sense. People might be 'happier' not knowing about awful problems in the world, but given they might also be the ones who could come up with a solutions, even that in it's own right isn't really a benefit.

In the strictest sense though, it depends what you're ignorant of; being ignorant of opportunities or knowledge isn't going to benefit you at all, for example.
      Nor will it negatively effect your happiness if you were ignorant to the opportunities and knowledge

ReputationRep:
      People who are okay not being the best. Those that like to be number one have higher rates of death and miserable lives because their so narrow minded from what I can remember being told once by a lecturer. Those that just do what their told tend to fit in best because society isn't about the individual and open mindedness are great as just talking about things can generally remove boundaries and borders and make you a smarter person through experience just like working etc. But I think being the dumber smart person would be possible as everyone has groups which will have the smartest and dumbest so there's no metre stick that fits everyone. When you try to assume everyone is equal and not think about people in teams or block one person out or a group of people out because of your opinion you may start to feel the effects of being crazy or over idealistic and not realistic enough to acheive a life that you want.

ReputationRep:
      It depends what type of person you are.

Myself, I cannot stand being ignorant to something, it in fact makes me more unhappy, than I would be if I were not to be ignorant to that fact. This seems to be the inverse of everyone else.

ReputationRep:
      No, education is freedom.

ReputationRep:
      No, there isn't. Are you really living life if you're ignorant?

ReputationRep:
      I think there is such a thing as a hubristic pursuit of knowledge and in that sense knowing less can be bliss. Equally not knowing about problems that don't immediately affect you/your family can be bliss. However, there's a lot to be said for learning self-discovery etc

Ignorant in the sense of being hurtful, unaware of the world, bigoted towards others, mean-spirited etc? No, not bliss.
      Ignorant in the sense of not knowing of certain opportunities, problems in the wider social sphere etc? Can be blissful, in a way.

ReputationRep:
      Yep but it's short lived. Look at all the retarded plebs who voted brexit even though they're personally better off remaining.

ReputationRep:
      Absolutely there is.But even a really dumb human is still one of the cleverest things in the world. Animals are ignorant of everything. They don't worry about life's purpose or money or work or death.They just eat,drink ,sleep and live. I think that they must be happier on average.But then I also think I would rather know and be aware of stuff. It's just a curse of being human.

ReputationRep:
      Theres bliss in blow
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but what a bloody good question this is OP. :yes:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.