Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's true?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, a bee is pretty much the opposite to me, but I've never shagged one.

I have tried though; they just tell me to buzz off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    Dunno, a bee is pretty much the opposite to me, but I've never shagged one.

I have tried though; they just tell me to buzz off.
    funni/10

ReputationRep:
    Only in physics

Tbh that phrase doesn't work because how do you define opposite in terms of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Only in physics

Tbh that phrase doesn't work because how do you define opposite in terms of people.
    Two very different people

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Someone who welcomes all races with open arms wont be attracted to someone who wants some other race to die in a hole.....

Some opposites i suppose but many no :P

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I think if some opposites were to attract it would have more to do with physical attraction.
    Overall I'd say having similarities is the bedrock to a good relationship.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    To a certain extent.

Me and my bf are polar opposite on some minor things like I love horrors, he hates them. I'm social, he isn't. I like exercise, he hates it. I like going out, he prefers staying in. Those things are fine to be different on but when it comes to the major things in life like we both feel the same about marriage, kids etc I think that is essential to agree on and one thing you definitely can't be opposite on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    In terms of the Big Five personality scale, the best relationships are between those who both have higher levels of agreeableness and conscientiousness compared to average, and lower levels of neuroticism.

In terms of Jungian personality types, it has been said that (not backed by any actual empirical research):
    introverted intuition types pair well with extroverted sensing types
    introverted feeling types pair well with extroverted thinking types
    introverted sensing types pair well with extroverted intuition types
    introverted thinking types pair well with extroverted feeling types

According to OKCupid, the the following three questions are the best predictors of a successful relationship (with successful couples generally answering the same way):
    • Do you like horror movies?
    • Have you ever traveled around another country alone?
    • Wouldn't it be fun to chuck it all and go live on a sailboat?

https://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/t...r-first-dates/
    Interesting :holmes:

(Original post by Kravence)
    No
    Nice and succinct.

(Original post by Toasticide)
    Someone who welcomes all races with open arms wont be attracted to someone who wants some other race to die in a hole.....

Some opposites i suppose but many no :P
    ...which races?

Spoiler:
    Show

please not mine :cry2:

(Original post by hezzlington)
    No.
    ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laeliakiwi)
    Interesting :holmes:

Nice and succinct.

...which races?

Spoiler:
    Show

please not mine :cry2:

ok
    I meant just races in general, none in particular
    maybe races isn't a good example. How about a very kind muslim and some stupid guy who thinks all muslims are terrorists and deserve to die? (no offence to any muslims by the way this is just an example, i'm not racist in any way)

ReputationRep:
    It can be but not in all cases.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, but not in the case of Trump and May.

ReputationRep:
    Opposite in certain aspects maybe, not completely different people in all aspects tho. I don't see me boning the Queen anytime soon, for example.

(Original post by Onde)
    According to OKCupid, the the following three questions are the best predictors of a successful relationship (with successful couples generally answering the same way):
    • Do you like horror movies?
    • Have you ever traveled around another country alone?
    • Wouldn't it be fun to chuck it all and go live on a sailboat?

You know the more I think about this one the more it seems to make some kind of sense....although I'm not sure why

ReputationRep:
    Hope so tbh, I want the next person I'm with to be a really calm and level-headed person, which isn't at all like me :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. That's why i'm a narcissist, because I can't decide who I am everyday and sometimes i'm the opposite.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Like Spock's Socks (PRSOM ) says I think it can work as long as you agree on the main things; marriage,money and kids.
    There's not many minor differences between us, just our beliefs on the afterlife and our feelings towards violent film and tv mainly off the top of my head (he loves the walking dead for example and I hate it, but I ve always made the conscious effort to watch one episode of something he likes to try and compromise but that was too far)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.