Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni students. how much do you spend on food a week? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My spending habits on food is getting out of hand but eating isn't a choice...sometimes i can spend £10 a day which is terrible. If i cook, the foods finished the next day lmao ffs.

Wbu guys?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elise213)
    My spending habits on food is getting out of hand but eating isn't a choice...sometimes i can spend £10 a day which is terrible. If i cook, the foods finished the next day lmao ffs.

Wbu guys?
    £30-£40, could be much better but I get the odd takeaway here and there.

I like stir fry packs that last me two days and costs around £3 to make.

Fruit etc is a bit expensive which is annoying 😳

ReputationRep:

Wbu guys?

I generally spend £20-30 a week on food (not including meals out, which I have probably once a week if that). I find the best thing to do is stock up on vegetables at the start of the week and live on stir fries and salads but turn it all into a soup at the end of the week when it starts to deteriorate, can also then easily freeze a load if I don’t eat it. I understand how annoying it can be though to keep in fresh food when you’re only cooking for one.

Molly
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Wbu guys?
    last semester ~£60 ish

this semester ~£30-40

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind eating repetitively you can easily keep it around £20-25. With careful planning I spend £30 on food, although even then I do sometimes end up with a few vegetables that go bad before I get to do anything with them. Of course this excludes any impulsive takeaways, snacks or desserts that I might pick up here and there. With those my food expenses work out to be £45 per week on average.

ReputationRep:
    The cheapest weeks (bare in mind I'm shopping for two people) are around £30, the more expensive weeks are £40.

I try out supermarket branded food to see if it's worth paying the difference (i.e. tinned sweetcorn, crackers, cereal) and more often that not there's no difference, that helps a lot.

Making a big batch of food and then either freezing or fridging the other half is good. Freezing it obviously keeps it longer but it means you don't have to eat it the next day so you won't get sick of repeating yourself.

Also, freeze meat - the amount of times I've bought 8 chicken breasts because it's cheaper p/unit just to bin half of them makes me cry! I put them into individual sandwich bags and take out what I need, easy peasy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    The cheapest weeks (bare in mind I'm shopping for two people) are around £30, the more expensive weeks are £40.

I try out supermarket branded food to see if it's worth paying the difference (i.e. tinned sweetcorn, crackers, cereal) and more often that not there's no difference, that helps a lot.

Making a big batch of food and then either freezing or fridging the other half is good. Freezing it obviously keeps it longer but it means you don't have to eat it the next day so you won't get sick of repeating yourself.

Also, freeze meat - the amount of times I've bought 8 chicken breasts because it's cheaper p/unit just to bin half of them makes me cry! I put them into individual sandwich bags and take out what I need, easy peasy.
    I do understand that the freezer can do wonders for money saving, but I personally cannot tolerate cooked food that has been defrosted. Often this means I either let some food go bad or succumb to eating the same lunch and dinner for the whole week. Just can't wait to move in with my boyfriend so that I cook for two people instead of one; it just feels like supermarket groceries are designed for families instead of lonely university students.

ReputationRep:
    I make sure to spend no more than £3 a day. Usually it comes down to about £2 a day so £14 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratach)
    I personally cannot tolerate cooked food that has been defrosted.
    I won't deny it, depending on the meal it can affect the texture and the taste, some fare better than others but there's no point in eating something that makes you miserable.

I'm guessing 'fresh' foods with long lifespans are best. Cheese is great, depending on the variety a block can last months. Potatoes last a lot longer than it says on the bag, carrots and onions are the same. Dried meats like chorizo sticks too, tortilla wraps last longer than bread, apples last forever. There's ways and means around everything!

The other problem I found with shopping for one is how expensive it is per unit, it's mad! In some shops, one apple is 60p but you can get a bag of 6 for £1.20? It's like they think the money you save from not having kids goes towards food haha

ReputationRep:
    How do u manage to spend £14 for a whole week? 😲

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Usually about £25-35, though it can occasionally be more - for example, if my parents are visiting, I have the advantage of not relying on the bus to transport my shopping, so I'll buy a lot, and if there are deals on regularly-used consumables such as soup or soap, I'll buy a significant amount and then store it.

Being a vegetarian and a non-drinker helps - I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the cost of meat or alcohol, but from what I've seen, it can add up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habouya)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have cheap Asda cornflakes for breakfast. I make my own sandwich for lunch. I usually have some pasta bake or brown rice/bread with some cheap veggies which I prepare differently on different days. That usually works out to around £2 a day.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harold98)
    I make sure to spend no more than £3 a day. Usually it comes down to about £2 a day so £14 a week.
    wtf how

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have cheap Asda cornflakes for breakfast. I make my own sandwich for lunch. I usually have some pasta bake or brown rice/bread with some cheap veggies which I prepare differently on different days. That usually works out to around £2 a day.
    mate you're destroying yourself. what about protein and nutrients?! calorie count must be miniscule as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    wtf how

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    mate you're destroying yourself. what about protein and nutrients?! calorie count must be miniscule as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by habouya)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm joking guys, I spend 3x that

ReputationRep:
    This is amazing. It will be useful when I move out. I am going to study nursing at Kings College London so I need to be careful when it comes to using my allowance.

ReputationRep:
    £40-£45 for Sainsbury's delivery. I usually do a full shopping for me so meal planning is not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    £30 of food will usually last me 2 weeks, though this isn't including staples (rice, pasta) which I just buy in bulk. I'll usually eat out once or twice in that time as well, so probably £40 overall.

ReputationRep:
    Around £20 every 10 days I guess. I'm trying to eat more and thus am spending a bit more lately but £50 is usually sufficient to last a month.

ReputationRep:
    £15-20
    I make a mental note of all the food I will be making that week and then budget it out in my head. Breakfast is quiet repetitive but lunch and dinner are usually a mix of curries w rice or any other dish I fancy. Buy a lot of different spices when moving out so the same ingredients can make a lot of different dishes
    Cooking is so much cheaper and tastier than takeaways (tastier because of all the extra £s I save ^^)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.