Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bereavement in family has tipped me over the edge Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically yesterday morning my Granddad passed away.

Although I didn't really seem him much, his passing was sudden, and I suppose he was old, and I'm told had cancer (although I never knew this either).

I became estranged to that side of my family (Father's side) from a young age. Mum and Dad divorced, and with that we moved to live with my Mother, and subsequently never had much contact with my grandparents unless my Father took us to see them once a month.

Then at 14 my Father died (I'm 26 now), and so after that we didn't see them at all. I was an emotional wreck underneath and I yearned to be closer to that side.

I feel somewhat upset over my grandfathers passing because I was close to him, in the sense that I am the spitting image of my Father, and my Uncles and my Grandad/Grandma always say I look just like me dad, and I get very emotional, but nevertheless it is a warm sort of closeness and legacy to my Father.

Over time, and since my Grandmother died, my Grandad was sort of isolated, he developed Alzheimers and various other illnesses in old age. Although he always doted on me, and remarked how much I was like my Dad. He even thought I was my Dad at one point, like I was almost a ghost from the past.

He talked highly of me to strangers and missed me a lot. Just two weeks ago, I was contacted by a family friend, said she looks after my Grandad as a carer.

Long story short, she gave me his number, after he kept telling her to get me to ring him, and would constantly ask when I was going to see him next and waiting for my call.

I've been so busy lately with my own problems, work-related stress, depression and felt really low. Luck would have it, I was going to ring him today, as I hadn't got round to it- but now he has died and I feel so rotten :/

I guess he must've known how ill he was. I didn't know how bad it was, otherwise I'd have gone sooner.

I guess he knew in his heart that was it, and he wanted to see me one last time. Now he is in heaven with my Father and Grandmother.

I felt so sorry for him, because eventually he was just living in a bungalow on his own after my Gran's passing and kind of losing his memory. But apparently he never forgot me.

I have lots of other emotional problems and depression, and loads of stressful life events happening and I cant take it anymore. People moving out of my house, and people coming and going and I feel a bit neglected and left alone to deal with it.
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by royal1990)
    Basically yesterday morning my Granddad passed away.

Although I didn't really seem him much, his passing was sudden, and I suppose he was old, and I'm told had cancer (although I never knew this either).

I became estranged to that side of my family (Father's side) from a young age. Mum and Dad divorced, and with that we moved to live with my Mother, and subsequently never had much contact with my grandparents unless my Father took us to see them once a month.

Then at 14 my Father died (I'm 26 now), and so after that we didn't see them at all. I was an emotional wreck underneath and I yearned to be closer to that side.

I feel somewhat upset over my grandfathers passing because I was close to him, in the sense that I am the spitting image of my Father, and my Uncles and my Grandad/Grandma always say I look just like me dad, and I get very emotional, but nevertheless it is a warm sort of closeness and legacy to my Father.

Over time, and since my Grandmother died, my Grandad was sort of isolated, he developed Alzheimers and various other illnesses in old age. Although he always doted on me, and remarked how much I was like my Dad. He even thought I was my Dad at one point, like I was almost a ghost from the past.

He talked highly of me to strangers and missed me a lot. Just two weeks ago, I was contacted by a family friend, said she looks after my Grandad as a carer.

Long story short, she gave me his number, after he kept telling her to get me to ring him, and would constantly ask when I was going to see him next and waiting for my call.

I've been so busy lately with my own problems, work-related stress, depression and felt really low. Luck would have it, I was going to ring him today, as I hadn't got round to it- but now he has died and I feel so rotten :/

I guess he must've known how ill he was. I didn't know how bad it was, otherwise I'd have gone sooner.

I guess he knew in his heart that was it, and he wanted to see me one last time. Now he is in heaven with my Father and Grandmother.

I felt so sorry for him, because eventually he was just living in a bungalow on his own after my Gran's passing and kind of losing his memory. But apparently he never forgot me.

I have lots of other emotional problems and depression, and loads of stressful life events happening and I cant take it anymore. People moving out of my house, and people coming and going and I feel a bit neglected and left alone to deal with it.
    You need to speak to someone about this, suffering in silence is no good for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.