Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Just because you can't understand the value of getting a qualification, however minor, in a non conventional way, doesn't mean there is no value in it.

Given the way you've acted in this thread I suspect there's a great deal of things you don't understand fully, you're really better off leaving it as is.

You're not going to win anyone over to your way of thinking by telling everyone who disagrees with you that they're stupid.
    Seems like the only person who's saying that people are stupid is you to me.

That's my point mate, BTECs are so small in value that you're better off doing an apprenticeship. The fact that it is paid for in part by the government is also an issue; It's an efficient use of public money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesus24)
    Seems like the only person who's saying that people are stupid is you to me.

That's my point mate, BTECs are so small in value that you're better off doing an apprenticeship. The fact that it is paid for in part by the government is also an issue; It's an efficient use of public money.
    There are subjects that BTECs are offered in that apprenticeships can't be offered in, but I imagine you've thought about that haven't you?

Oh, and you meant inefficient, unless you're suddenly changing your tune to confuse us...

ReputationRep:
    Valuable work experience isnt available until uni when you're 18+.
    That is completely false, where have you got that from? And who are you to decide what is and isn't valuable?

ReputationRep:
    On the contrary, I think BTECs shouldn't be scrapped, and equally neither should A-Levels be scrapped. A-Levels might teach you more facts and it might prepare you for high pressure situations but a BTEC shows that you are willing to put time in. A person with a photographic memory could theoretically remember everything they're taught without revising, but it doesn't matter how smart you are, you'll have to spend a lot of time getting a distinction in a BTEC. Personally I take a triple BTEC and Biology and History A-Level and I can definitely say that a high grade in BTEC takes more time to achieve then a high grade in A-Levels, but that's just me. Furthermore a BTEC teaches you how to reference, which is a useful skill for those who are going to University, such as myself. Ultimately everyone learns and works differently, and just having A-Levels and apprenticeships is too narrow-minded in my opinion. If you want to reduce the amount points that a UCAS qualification gives you then that would be a reasonable suggestion, but scrapping it all together it a tad extreme ey?

ReputationRep:
    I do BTEC health and social care and personally I find it quite beneficial for me.

Work experience: my first 3 placements were in childcare settings which I found enjoyable. However it wasn't challenging enough which made me realize that I didn't want to work in childcare. So after that I decided to try a placement in a primary school and it was just amazing, it really made want to peruse a career in that field. So overall work placements has allowed me to gain many experience AND has made me found a career that Im sure I want to go into. When I went to my uni interview last week, the course leader was really impressed with how much experience I have gained.

Independent study: A lot of the time we have to do our own research using various sources for assignments. This is good practice for those wanting to go into uni because I know in uni there will be a lot of independent study which BTEC students will already be used to/good at.

Work: Fair enough, the difficulty of BTEC may not be has high as A levels but it doesn't mean the work isn't useful. For example; unit 1 is about communication. It taught me a lot about effective ways of communicating with e.g. a child that has SEN. Unit 6 is another great example, I had to do reflections on how well I performed for work placements. CPD is something I will have to get used to doing when I become a teacher so that was a great opportunity for me to practice.

So just because btec is "easy" it doesn't mean it's all bad. Both btec and A levels have their pros and cons so neither are perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Work experience that is only available to a levels? Most top work experience programmes need A levels. You can look at investment banking programmes for example.

Your entire argument is quite silly tbh. Valuable work experience isnt available until uni when you're 18+.
    Lies. I'm 17 on a Level 2 Work skills course. I'm getting all the Work Experience I need!

ReputationRep:
    Offering BTEC is wasting time of bright students! Because if one of us can do A levels, we all can. It's just that even after completing BTEC and going to uni, the future isnt promising for BTEC students.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.