Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How bad is getting a blood test? Watch

I'm feeling so anxious about a blood test ive been told they will be taking out 4 bottles worth of blood(tubes) and im sooo scared the last time i had one was when i was 7 but now im 19 and now experience anxiety please tell me if you can feel pain or discomfort when the needle is inside and drawing the blood out
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You'll feel a slightest of pinches when the needle first goes in but the adrenaline generally kicks in and makes it seem like no time at all. You won't feel the blood moving and you definitely don't have to look at it. If you let them know that you're a little bit anxious, they'll tend to use distraction techniques to make it a little easier for you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Not at all bad.

I've lost count of the number of blood tests I've had, but I always watch the needle go in and the blood come out. I find that knowing exactly what is going on is better for anxiety than having no idea what they might be doing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm feeling so anxious about a blood test ive been told they will be taking out 4 bottles worth of blood(tubes) and im sooo scared the last time i had one was when i was 7 but now im 19 and now experience anxiety please tell me if you can feel pain or discomfort when the needle is inside and drawing the blood out
    You'll feel a sharp scratch and that's about it. You may feel a little dizzy or warm too, but don't let it freak you out, it's just a normal reaction to blood leaving your body. It's a lot better if you try to distract yourself so if you can, bring somebody in to have a conversation with and look at them. You can tell the nurse you are anxious too and they should be extra nice to you.
    4 bottles is quite a bit, but it won't really matter to you. Once the blood starts flowing it's quick so you wouldn't really notice the difference between 1 and 4.

The only problem with blood tests is if you are a fainter, but it's not that common. Even then you just lay down and take a bit of time to recover after it's over. Otherwise it's no bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    I have anxiety too and I'm fairly terrified of needles, specifically them going into my veins. I have tiny veins so it takes them ages to draw blood. Despite all that, it's really not that bad (and this is coming from someone who's terrified of them!). Try your best to relax and you'll feel barely anything and the amount of blood they take won't be as much as you think! Reward yourself afterwards! Stay strong and remember that it'll be over really quickly! I feel ya! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    depends if you are really nice to the nurse it wont hurt. one tube or ten its just one little needle.less than pricking your thumb. just dont look.

Hey guys thanks for reassuring me i just got back from it and it went well didnt hurt one bit
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys thanks for reassuring me i just got back from it and it went well didnt hurt one bit
    Glad to hear it. And good luck with whatever you needed the tests for
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbarlow)
    depends if you are really nice to the nurse it wont hurt. one tube or ten its just one little needle.less than pricking your thumb. just dont look.
    I dunno about that. I had a blood test and a diabetes test yesterday and the diabetes prick hurt like a mofo. I was really surprised. Hardly even felt the blood test needle. The diabetes one also bled for a good 15 minutes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That's great. So glad to hear things went well for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.