Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you have a degree with BSc Psychology, then do a PHD in mental health, what career options does that open you to? Surely every branch needs a degree completed to their own. To become a counsellor, I'd need to do a counselling degree. To become a health psychologist, I need to do MSC health psychology. Or can I just do any branch with PHD mental health? Mental health is very specific you see.

ReputationRep:
    To become a counsellor you don't even need a degree. You can complete this course at local college. My qualification was a level 5 (foundation degree) but many are level 4. I work with clients and am able to build my own private practice...all for less than the cost of 1 year uni tuition

ReputationRep:
    You'd be better off working out what you want to do and then finding out the qualifications you need to do that. A psychologist/counsellor is very much a vocation (like medicine). You never really stop having to study in some form or another as there are minimum requirements for professional development.

There are many many careers in the mental health sector and an msc in mental health could boost you on your way to a managerial role

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.