Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am depressed

Computer science has the highest unemployment rate as well :mad

http://education.guardian.co.uk/stud...280163,00.html

This has made me more determined to setup my own business when I graduate rather than waste my time trying to get a job. The degree won't be wasted because I have learn't a lot of things directly relating to the business and my university can help with office space (their own) and funding etc.

ReputationRep:
    In Polly Filler's other article today (http://education.guardian.co.uk/stud...280089,00.html) I found this surprisingly high:

(Original post by The Grauniad)
    The average student is now taking home £4,000 a year from part time work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    That doesn't prove much - only ~65% of soton graduates are in work 6 months after graduation - another 17% are on post grad courses and another 6% off travelling the world...only about 4% (IIRC) are actually unemployed.

Watch out for the sunday times guide in september...it's going to include the average salary of employed graduates for each uni - as well as (I *think*) a break down of the employment stats to show further study/employment etc rather than just %age in graduate level jobs :cool:
    Thats good I guess, until I read Salford Computer Science averag salary: £5000. or somthing scary like that :mad: Main Employer: McDonalds, Salford central branch (the students will be too poor to return to home)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Main Employer: McDonalds, Salford central branch
    Please tell me you're taking the piss?

Fact: 1 in 10 media students end up working in a fast-food restaurant 6 months after graduating.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my friends who have graduated are either travelling, or doing some sort of further qualification.

ReputationRep:
    I am depressed

This has made me more determined to setup my own business when I graduate rather than waste my time trying to get a job. The degree won't be wasted because I have learn't a lot of things directly relating to the business and my university can help with office space (their own) and funding etc.
    Full figures for Computer Science:
    Graduate Employment - 64%
    Non - Graduate Employment - 12%
    Further Study - 13%
    Unemployment - 13%

However you also have to remember that (according to Leicester University) the average starting wage for a Computer Science graduate is £20,000 (thats a good starting wage) and the average wage (mid way through career) for those for have learnt either C, C+, C++ or Java is £55,000. So you have to remember that as long as you have attended a good course (probably BCA acredited [sp]) then you will do fine.

If that doesn't help then look at the unemployment figures and remember that 83% of all statistics are made up (read my sig).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Full figures for Computer Science:
    Graduate Employment - 64%
    Non - Graduate Employment - 12%
    Further Study - 13%
    Unemployment - 13%

However you also have to remember that (according to Leicester University) the average starting wage for a Computer Science graduate is £20,000 (thats a good starting wage) and the average wage (mid way through career) for those for have learnt either C, C+, C++ or Java is £55,000. So you have to remember that as long as you have attended a good course (probably BCA acredited [sp]) then you will do fine.

If that doesn't help then look at the unemployment figures and remember that 83% of all statistics are made up (read my sig).
    From that 13% unemployed, how many are travelling the world etc ?
    How many have just not quite realised that student life is over and the real world has hit them with a bang?

The Russel group/oxbridge etc suffer badly on these types of stats, as their students are more likely to go travelling, or set up their own business etc.

It would also be interesting to see where Officer in the armed forces is placed. Economically speaking the military should be counted as unemployed http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cac...conomics&hl=en
    as they are not producing anything, merely defending what we have.

ReputationRep:
    My course isn't BCA acredited though, although other courses at Salford are now. Mine isn't because it isn't strictly a computing degree however my final year project should speak for itself as I will be able to show employees what I can do rather than just showing them a peice of paper claiming what I can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    How many have just not quite realised that student life is over and the real world has hit them with a bang?

The Russel group/oxbridge etc suffer badly on these types of stats, as their students are more likely to go travelling, or set up their own business etc.

It would also be interesting to see where Officer in the armed forces is placed. Economically speaking the military should be counted as unemployed http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cac...conomics&hl=en
    as they are not producing anything, merely defending what we have.
    Yeh thats true - good point.
    My course isn't BCA acredited though, although other courses at Salford are now. Mine isn't because it isn't strictly a computing degree however my final year project should speak for itself as I will be able to show employees what I can do rather than just showing them a peice of paper claiming what I can do.
    Well as long as you can show them what you've done you'll be fine (thats why I said probably acredited).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Yeh thats true - good point.

Well as long as you can show them what you've done you'll be fine (thats why I said probably acredited).
    Hopefully, the department is respected and has 5 stars for research. I have got a good business idea I am very seriously thinking of doing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    until I read Salford Computer Science averag salary: £5000. or somthing scary like that :mad: Main Employer: McDonalds, Salford central branch (the students will be too poor to return to home)
    where do you find out statistics like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    where do you find out statistics like that?
    It was a figure of speach, which is why I said until I read. I was refereing to the new thing in the Times. I am sure the statistics won;t be anything like that bad. I am just never optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    It was a figure of speach, which is why I said until I read. I was refereing to the new thing in the Times. I am sure the statistics won;t be anything like that bad. I am just never optimistic.
    hehe, the glass is always half full, remember. (of piss)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    No. Graduates who've gone travelling etc are not classified as "unemployed". Unemployed means they are actively seeking work. Usually they look 6 months after graduation what % are still jobseeking. The proportion who chill/go travelling etc for up to a year after graduation is quite sizeable.

ReputationRep:
    I am depressed

eek. Social studies 6.5%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    ummm - actually where those are the only catagories provided (Graduate Employment, Non - Graduate Employment, Further Study, Unemployment) they tend to combine the "unemployed and seeking work" catagory with the "not seeking work or further study" (travelling fits in here) catagory and bung it all under "Unemployment".
    When the figure is ~5% surely that's the proportion of people actively seeking a job? If it were to include those travelling, dossing, considering their future but not applying for jobs etc it'd be 20+%.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.