GCSE Year 9 Options Advice

Watch this thread
NY_40
Badges: 7
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have to pick 3 subjects to do for my GCSE's very soon. When I'm older, it sounds ridiculous, but I would love to work at Vogue. I am a very hard working student, my strongest subjects are English and History etc. Either that, or I'd love to become a lawyer. What subjects would be best for these? At the moment I'm considering History, French, Spanish, Drama and Textiles. Which sort of subjects would be best suited? I'd be very thankful for any information on the courses, and what paths should I be choosing in order to work in Fashion Journalism. Thank you for any advice given.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NY_40)
I have to pick 3 subjects to do for my GCSE's very soon. When I'm older, it sounds ridiculous, but I would love to work at Vogue. I am a very hard working student, my strongest subjects are English and History etc. Either that, or I'd love to become a lawyer. What subjects would be best for these? At the moment I'm considering History, French, Spanish, Drama and Textiles. Which sort of subjects would be best suited? I'd be very thankful for any information on the courses, and what paths should I be choosing in order to work in Fashion Journalism. Thank you for any advice given.
History is desirable for law.

Otherwise, for the subjects you have listed nothing jumps out at me as useful for fashion journalism, though admittedly I don't know what Textikes is about.

Most inportant thing is probably the grades to get to wherever you want to go to, the subjects.. not so much
nonon41
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
They'll be amazing choices for either career path. As stated previously history is very desirable for law and although it is more the norm to take English Lit too, two MFLs will be incredibly beneficial, help you stand out and are facilitating. Textiles, although not often held in as high of a regard, will help you decide if the fashion industry is right for you.

Your actual grades are much more important at GCSE however, more so than the actual subjects you get them in. As you're looking at very competitive career paths, don't take any subject you feel you can't get a minimum of a B (6?) in.
Jessieddurham
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NY_40)
If you wanted to do law I would say, History, English Literature and a MFL (French is probably better).

For Fashion Journalism definitely textiles, and have you considered media studies? That would be a great option. I would also consider an MFL here too as you never know when you might get a job offer from a foreign magazine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads