Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have to pick 3 subjects to do for my GCSE's very soon. When I'm older, it sounds ridiculous, but I would love to work at Vogue. I am a very hard working student, my strongest subjects are English and History etc. Either that, or I'd love to become a lawyer. What subjects would be best for these? At the moment I'm considering History, French, Spanish, Drama and Textiles. Which sort of subjects would be best suited? I'd be very thankful for any information on the courses, and what paths should I be choosing in order to work in Fashion Journalism. Thank you for any advice given.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NY_40)
    I have to pick 3 subjects to do for my GCSE's very soon. When I'm older, it sounds ridiculous, but I would love to work at Vogue. I am a very hard working student, my strongest subjects are English and History etc. Either that, or I'd love to become a lawyer. What subjects would be best for these? At the moment I'm considering History, French, Spanish, Drama and Textiles. Which sort of subjects would be best suited? I'd be very thankful for any information on the courses, and what paths should I be choosing in order to work in Fashion Journalism. Thank you for any advice given.
    History is desirable for law.

Otherwise, for the subjects you have listed nothing jumps out at me as useful for fashion journalism, though admittedly I don't know what Textikes is about.

Most inportant thing is probably the grades to get to wherever you want to go to, the subjects.. not so much

ReputationRep:
    They'll be amazing choices for either career path. As stated previously history is very desirable for law and although it is more the norm to take English Lit too, two MFLs will be incredibly beneficial, help you stand out and are facilitating. Textiles, although not often held in as high of a regard, will help you decide if the fashion industry is right for you.

Your actual grades are much more important at GCSE however, more so than the actual subjects you get them in. As you're looking at very competitive career paths, don't take any subject you feel you can't get a minimum of a B (6?) in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NY_40)
    If you wanted to do law I would say, History, English Literature and a MFL (French is probably better).

For Fashion Journalism definitely textiles, and have you considered media studies? That would be a great option. I would also consider an MFL here too as you never know when you might get a job offer from a foreign magazine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.