Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Radiotherapy for September 2017 and I got told that the Nhs in wales they still doin the bursary scheme, so would someone be able to explain it to me, as it is very very confusing !!

ReputationRep:
    This is true but you have to commit to working in Wales once you've qualified for a minimum of 2 years. I believe it's open to all students who study at a Welsh university.

http://www.nwsspstudentfinance.wales.../new-students/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm also looking to study in Wales on an NHS funded course. Does anyone know what happens if I get to the end of the course and no longer want to be in Wales? I've never lived there before. What if I don't like it, or my circumstances change before the two years is up and I need to go home? I wouldn't intend to con them by not paying, but would not be able to handle 3 years of university debt being asked for upfront. In such circumstances, could I apply for a student loan to cover the fees even though I have finished the course?

ReputationRep:
    Not 100% sure but I looked into it and if u dint stay in wales for 2 years after the course or stay during the course you have to pay the money back as your breaking the contract. If you don't like it you deffo pay like a normal debt. If your circumstance change you maybe able to negotiate but doubt it. This is only if u take the funding from the NHS, you don't have to due to you have to work in the NHS 2 year after the course, hope this helps ?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, thanks for your reply. How do you mean like a normal debt? Do you know if it's with student finance or someone else? I might end up having a super time and wanting to stay forever but just wanna make sure I have all possible outcomes covered! Have you gone ahead with getting the bursary then?

ReputationRep:
    In wales university not free unless you sign a contract with the NHS, so that after uni you will have to work 2 years in the NHS wales after you finished the course and they will pay and fund u for it.
    If you dint follow this contract you will have to owe student fianance the money or the NHS (not sure which one) like a normal student loan so you pay back the same until the debt all gone or when u reach a certain age.
    If you sign the NHS contract before they will tell you the terms and conditions.
    You apply via Student Fianance Wales, but if your worried ring your university you chose.
    I decided not to go to a university in wales as I heard the uni isn't good for what I wanted to pursue as a career, so sad times I have to pay the debt !!!

ReputationRep:
    The T&Cs haven't been formalised yet. This is annoying as I live on the border and most NHS treatment for patients in this area happens in England. I need to know what happens if I can't find a job and I also have to factor in that the nearest large hospital in Wales is 30 miles away from me.

It's also worth knowing that, unlike in England, if you already have a degree you're not eligible for student loans if you decide not to take the bursary. WLes has not relaxed ELQ rules in this situation.

Tread carefully.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.