Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been at my apprenticeship at a leisure centre (at which I have a weekend job) doing business and admin for 2 days, and even though this isn't a lot of time, I've figured that the role isn't suited to me because I'm much more suited to law and policing (I was rushed at the beginning having left sixth form and wanted a placement). The role involves interacting with a friendly team, however I find the tasks either physically or mentally challenging. I understand you shouldn't just give up after a couple of days but I just know an office like this isn't for me.

I'm not sure what to do; I could just tell my manager in charge about my situation but I'm not sure how she'd take it- could there be a possibility that they'd take my weekend job away? My weekend job is at reception where I think things are a little more laid back and open. As well as this I need some way of earning income and could do with the experience on my CV also.

If I leave the apprenticeship I'd be very happy to drop in for a couple of hours a week or so to help out with whatever they like (voluntarily) but I don't want the set hours.

I'd like to get some A-levels under my belt and go back to sixth form, obviously not the one I went to before, and study different and more enjoyable subjects. On top of this there's a police cadet service available for me to go to which seems handy in the way of learning new skills.

What should I do? I feel incredibly guilty about accepting an offer for something I don't even really want.

C
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's better you tell them now than weeks down the line. Bare in mind you won't be able to find anywhere to do a levels till September though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It's better you tell them now than weeks down the line. Bare in mind you won't be able to find anywhere to do a levels till September though
    I'm fine with that so long as I find a part time job or get to keep my current one!😬
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonagedreamday)
    I'm fine with that so long as I find a part time job or get to keep my current one!😬
    Go for it then, just be honest and sincere

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.