Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The term "Islamophobia" Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    You do realise (or don't realise as the case seems) that the younger generations esp in the UK tend to be far more religious, stricter and follow closer than a lot of their parents or first gen UK muslims.
    So your argument falls flat right there!
    Please, stop with the lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epoddoulc)
    Please, stop with the lies.
    Sorry to break it you brah :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    Dude, as long as you don't hate them or anything I'm sure they can equally deal with that.

But that's in the old testament.

I'm just starting to think you don't know much about religion...
    Yes, I do hate muslims. I hoped muslims would enlighten me via this thread but it has made me hate them even more. Look through these pages, you won't see a single hint of logic in any of their replies.
    • Very Important Poster

How can you be human AND muslim?
    So do you or dont you think they are?

What does the quote in your avatar say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Sorry to break it you brah :console:
    The muslim youth of Britain are the furthest thing from Islam. I grew up with muslim youth, most secretly smoke weed, have girlfriends, have sex before marriage, smoke cigarettes, smoke shisha etc..
    • Very Important Poster

Yes, I do hate muslims. I hoped muslims would enlighten me via this thread but it has made me hate them even more. Look through these pages, you won't see a single hint of logic in any of their replies.
    Ive answered several of your claims and shown them to be false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    So do you or dont you think they are?

What does the quote in your avatar say?
    My avatar is Quran 8:12

ReputationRep:
    Ffs. I cba anymore.
    • Very Important Poster

No, you've further angered me and I will continue to spread hate for muslims tomorrow. I'm going to sleep now Allah snackbar
    Just lol

ReputationRep:
    Actually you are confused amd ignorant. It does not mean all muslims should aspire to marry six year olds She was 9 or 10 when she was betrothed and he married her at puberty 14 or 15.
    Many girls were married off in older times before they were 15.

Here are some additional ones from wiki
    [*]Margaret Beaufort, (age approximately 7) was married to John de la Pole (age 7) in 1450 by the arrangement John's father.[5] The marriage was annulled in 1453.[6]

[*]Joan of France, Duchess of Berry, betrothed in a wedding contract at age 8 days old, she was officially married at age 12 in 1476.[7]

[*]Anne de Mowbray, 8th Countess of Norfolk (age 6) was married to Richard of Shrewsbury, 1st Duke of York (age 4) in 1477. She died at age 10 and he, as one of the Princes in the Tower is believed to have been murdered at age 10.[8]

[*]Rukhmabai was married in India to her husband when she was 11 and he was 19.[9] After a lengthy court battle, the marriage was dissolved by an order from Queen Victoria and the publicity helped influence the passage of the Age of Consent Act, 1891 which outlawed child marriages across the British Empire.[contradictory][10]

[*]Janakiammal Iyengar was married at the age of 10 years to the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.[11]

[*]Nujood Ali, an arranged marriage by her father to a 30-year-old man at age 10[12] in 2008.[13] Coverage of her self-presented application for divorce later that year led to the legal age of marriage in Yemen to be raised to 18.[14]
    The difference is that nobody thinks that John de la Pole or Richard of Shrewsbury are perfect role models.

ReputationRep:
    The muslim youth of Britain are the furthest thing from Islam. I grew up with muslim youth, most secretly smoke weed, have girlfriends, have sex before marriage, smoke cigarettes, smoke shisha etc..
    Muslim youth like any other youth go through different stages in life.
    But there is a strong drive for religiosity among muslim youth. Not just in the UK but worldwide.
    Of course there are those who may not be practicing but that is not the norm nor is it the trend.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Josb)
    The difference is that nobody thinks that John de la Pole or Richard of Shrewsbury are perfect role models.
    Its an old book written a long time ago. If she was betrothed at 9 or 10 and married at 14/15, then thats pretty typical of life hundreds of years ago. It was possible to get legally amrried in Spain at 14 only a few years ago till they raise it to the norm of 16. The bible says stuff people take with a pinch of salt as well. Its a bit much to treat all muslims the same, since they will have a variety of views about adherence to their religion, just like any other religion or just like the views of aetheists.

Anyway quite enough of this thread for today. Am sure he will return tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Its an old book written a long time ago. If she was betrothed at 9 or 10 and married at 14/15, then thats pretty typical of life hundreds of years ago. It was possible to get legally amrried in Spain at 14 only a few years ago till they raise it to the norm of 16. The bible says stuff people take with a pinch of salt as well. Its a bit much to treat all muslims the same, since they will have a variety of views about adherence to their religion, just like any other religion or just like the views of aetheists.
    Once again, the problem is that the Quran is supposed to be the true word of god, a timeless guide for all mankind, and Mohammed a role model; other holy books do not make such claims.

It is very worrying to see that a man who married a child (you claim she was 10-15, but most sources, including Muslims', say 6-9) is seen as a role model today by 1.6 billion people.

ReputationRep:
    No because they are alternatives and you chose to ignore the fact by applying a false and incomplete definition to suit your explanation.

Furthermore there is an actual definition for islamophobia, which I posted. It isnt about whether it makes sense or not, simply pointing out that your demail of the fact it exists is patently wrong.
    1. I did not give any false information.
    2. How was it incomplete with there was a conjunction of "OR" as you so conspicuously point out.
    3. Ooh it has a special definition on the dictionary, and what?
    4. I repeat: "Islamphobia" does not exist. Having a phobia is due to you being irrational, however it is Islam itself that is irrational due to what it teaches, to fear Islam is completely rational and makes the term "Islamophobia" an oxymoron.

5. Islam is IRRATIONAL, get that in your head and stop defending it.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Josb)
    Once again, the problem is that the Quran is supposed to be the true word of god, a timeless guide for all mankind, and Mohammed a role model; other holy books do not make such claims.

It is very worrying to see that a man who married a child (you claim she was 10-15, but most sources, including Muslims', say 6-9) is seen as a role model today by 1.6 billion people.
    Nope if you look it up then there is a difference between betrothal and consumation. It was quite common for children to be married as a matter of politics and forming alliances all over the world. I really wouldnt treat all muslims as having one opinion nor all christians nor all aetheists even if you think it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    It's not real

ReputationRep:
    0:27

ReputationRep:
    There've been about 2 Muslims on this thread. The people who you belittle for not making sense were the all accepting atheists.

ReputationRep:
    The trouble with the term Islamophobic is that it conflates the dislike of the ideology (which can be entirely justified) with the dislike of Muslims as people (which isn't entirely justified).

Now compare it with antisemitic, this describes only the dislike of the Jewish people.

So what this term does is band together those who have genuine and substantiated problems with Islam, with those who just don't like Muslims for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    Nope if you look it up then there is a difference between betrothal and consumation. It was quite common for children to be married as a matter of politics and forming alliances all over the world. I really wouldnt treat all muslims as having one opinion nor all christians nor all aetheists even if you think it makes sense.
    I perfectly know that. She was betrothed at 6 and the marriage was consummated at 9. The man who had sex with a 9yo cannot be a role model, end of.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.