Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What are the " superior " subjects for Uni Entrance? watch

ReputationRep:
    What are the " superior " subjects for Uni Entrance?

Is anyone else worried about their course choice in 5th year?

I personally want to go into Medicine at Glasgow Uni and for that I need AAAAB which must include Bio, Chemo, Maths/ Physics. I cant take Physics because I didnt do it in Standard Grade, so Maths it is. My school is forcing all of the 5th year students to do English regardless of their plans. That leaves me one last space. I originally thought French because It was a good subject to have, it's fairly useful. However I also took Spanish last year, so Im not sure if a further knowledge of French is required. I was also considering Modern Studies because I enjoy the sociology around the subject. I received a 1 in French and a 2 in Mod. Studs. ( a 1 in KU, 2 for PS ).

But which subject is going to look better on paper?

I really need help with this.

McGeadie

PS: Got 1's in Maths, English, Bio, French and 2's in Mod Studs, Spanish, Music and Chem. Exams were nice to me this year

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't this all depend? It sounds like you'll do just fine with those subjects

ReputationRep:
    What does it depend on though? Im confused about what the board want from me. I can do any of them, but what do they really really look for in Med Students to be?

ReputationRep:
    With that range of subjects I'm not certain . That seems like an extremely high standard! At that level I would go with your own instinct, Bio and Chem excellence would be the determining factors, the rest I would've thought are just ensuring you make the academic grade (though does seem arbritary).

ReputationRep:
    Come to think of it, a second modern language does sound very good. That might benefit you the most although I'm not sure how much work you'd have to put into that (I expect a lot). Good luck whatever you choose to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    With that range of subjects I'm not certain . That seems like an extremely high standard! At that level I would go with your own instinct, Bio and Chem excellence would be the determining factors, the rest I would've thought are just ensuring you make the academic grade (though does seem arbritary).

Really? Thats certainly reassuring then, I was just panicking for no real reason. I just really want to get onto a medicine course so much that I've resorted to analysing everything to see how it fits into the " medicine plan ".

If there are people who got an unconditional offer from a University to do a medicine course, can you please tell me what subjects you took/ are taking and what grades you achieved for them?

McGeadie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    Come to think of it, a second modern language does sound very good. That might benefit you the most although I'm not sure how much work you'd have to put into that (I expect a lot). Good luck whatever you choose to study.

Ta very much.

ReputationRep:
    In retrospect Medicine is an extremely popular subject
    Completely different from E&E Engi. which is what I'm going for!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what subject you are applying for - if you want to do a science or maths based subject than maths and science should be given at A-Level. However if you want to do say a foreign language than it doesn't matter how many science subject you can offer - you need language subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried emailing the university medical admissions department? You'd surely get a more accurate/reliable answer from them than from asking anyone on here.

I've never heard of Modern Studies so don't know what it involves, but it seems to remind me of media/theatre studies and if its anything like those subjects, you aren't going to impress anyone by taking it. If that's the case I'd go for French because languages are useful/valued by employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dieeiervonsatan)
    Have you tried emailing the university medical admissions department? You'd surely get a more accurate/reliable answer from them than from asking anyone on here.

I've never heard of Modern Studies so don't know what it involves, but it seems to remind me of media/theatre studies and if its anything like those subjects, you aren't going to impress anyone by taking it. If that's the case I'd go for French because languages are useful/valued by employers.
    Modern studies is nothing like media/theatre studies. I think it is equivalent to politics and government or something like that. At higher it encorporates politics, social issues in the UK and international issues. It has the same level respect as the other social sciences and is accepted by all unis as a proper worthwhile subject.

My friend got an offer for medicine at Glasgow with english, maths, chemistry, biology and history at higher. She did chem, bio and history at AH and had a conditional based on the two science AH. I think as long as you have chem, bio and maths it doesn't matter the other ones are. French would probably (speaking from experience of a modern language at higher) be a lot more work than modern studies. Modern studies has the benefit of the health care option, so you would learn a lot about how the NHS works. I would just do whichever one you enjoy the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophetta)
    Modern studies is nothing like media/theatre studies. I think it is equivalent to politics and government or something like that. At higher it encorporates politics, social issues in the UK and international issues. It has the same level respect as the other social sciences and is accepted by all unis as a proper worthwhile subject.
    Ok, fair enough. Although, no offense, but it is questionable how *worthwhile* social sciences are or whether they are proper subjects. If it were me, I'd still do French. Less people can speak a forgeign languages whereas nearly everyone seems to have Psychology/Sociology/Politics etc.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine was the only one (out of many good candidates) to get a place unconditionally at Glasgow to do Medicine - and she took a Modern Language and Maths, but no Physics. She was a straight A grade student, as were the others who were competing for a place, but perhaps the Modern Language gave her the edge, but perhaps it was her overall ability and enthusiasm for the course - the competition at Glasgow is absolutely ferocious and 5 As are definitely needed.

Having said this however, Sophetta has the point of how Modern Studies does go into learning about the NHS - but whichever you decide, be prepared to reason clearly why you chose that subject, as you will probably be asked whatever you do. Sometimes it's not the subject but the reasons behind why you chose it that count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecossaise)
    Having said this however, Sophetta has the point of how Modern Studies does go into learning about the NHS - but whichever you decide, be prepared to reason clearly why you chose that subject, as you will probably be asked whatever you do. Sometimes it's not the subject but the reasons behind why you chose it that count.
    I doubt they'll quiz you extensively on your subject choices unless you haven't met their basic admissions with requirements. Unless you are going for Oxbridge you only need Bio, Chem plus others, so they won't really mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I doubt they'll quiz you extensively on your subject choices unless you haven't met their basic admissions with requirements. Unless you are going for Oxbridge you only need Bio, Chem plus others, so they won't really mind.
    At Glasgow they asked every person that applied for Medicine from my school what was the fifth subject out of their five Highers and why they had chosen to do that. Dundee, from what I gathered, was the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dieeiervonsatan)

Actually I know someone who had theatre studies as an A-Level and got into Cambridge for Natural Science, now he's graduated with a first in physics. Theatre studies is apparently very academic too you know. (I don't take theatre but was thinking of it)

As for which subject best for medicine - language for sure, if it's between french/spanish and modern studies. Medicine loves languages, and communication skills - a language or linguistic abilities shows them you got good communication. There are some medicine degrees that says you can study a foreign language alongside it, providing you got some A-Level background in the chosen language. Language is recognised anywhere whereas I've never even heard of modern studies so really can't say. If it's anything like media studies, don't take it. My friend who takes it says it's extremely easy and not all unis recognise it and now she's got trouble cus she wanna go cambridge but of course, media is not very well respected, even if it is recognised. Why don't you ring up and ask? And above all make sure they actually accept modern studies cus some don't even accept art, and that's a subject everyone's heard of! (that's Manchester - screw them. Cambridge doesn't like it either ) Btw did you say you have background on spanish already? If so probably should take spanish - you can get easy grades.

But anyway I think Medicine looks more for personal qualities, don't they? If you even get interviewed then you would've got past the academic test. Extra-curricula stuff (can't spell) probably more useful? Something that shows passion and commitment - that's probably what'll get you an unconditional, plus good performance at interview. A nurse told me that they're really hot on communication nowadays in medicine.

Btw, my own question here, anyone knows if it's any use for me to take an A-Level in Chinese? I'm already fluent so an A-Level may not impress unis much, and if I do it I'd need to do both years in one year, alongisde four A-Levels. Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Actually I know someone who had theatre studies as an A-Level and got into Cambridge for Natural Science, now he's graduated with a first in physics. Theatre studies is apparently very academic too you know. (I don't take theatre but was thinking of it)
    Apparently academic? Errrm, no, I find that very hard to believe. As for your friend, I'm sure he had other decent A Levels to compensate for theatre Studies, which is fine. However, I highly doubt he went there with Theatre Studies as his 2nd/3rd A Level, unless he was extremely bright and made a very good impression on the interviewers.

(Original post by irisng)
    Btw, my own question here, anyone knows if it's any use for me to take an A-Level in Chinese? I'm already fluent so an A-Level may not impress unis much, and if I do it I'd need to do both years in one year, alongisde four A-Levels. Anyone?
    Of course its useful. You don't have to tell unis that you are fluent. How will they know? If it isn't much effort for you (by that I mean, it won't pull down your other marks by taking away revision time from those subjects) then its a whole extra decent A Level. Even after uni, when you apply for jobs, I'm sure it will come in handy. I'm planning on doing the same with Russian if I get decent AS grades.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.