Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you drop out of medical school, can you re enter via undergraduate entry? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just asking because I have a health condition which can relapse and is affecting my quality of life. I have applied and had interviews, but I want to be well informed of my options if things go downhill.

ReputationRep:
    It'll likely be viewed as an extenuating circumstance so I'd say yes you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just4)
    It'll likely be viewed as an extenuating circumstance so I'd say yes you can.
    Would they take your grades/ ukcat as normal? Maybe I should ask the universities actually.

ReputationRep:
    Most medical schools would far rather you took time out from the course instead of dropping out completely, and will usually work with you to facilitate this if you are open and honest with them. Dropping out and reapplying to another university would be a big gamble even if it was because of sickness - they'd want to know why you couldn't continue at your original institution and how things had changed to ensure you would be successful second time round.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can - I know someone who's re-started the course this year at a different uni, having dropped out in third year due to a health condition. However, unless you think your uni is a contributive factor in your health condition (as was the case with my friend; their original university were not at all supportive), you'd be better off taking a leave of absence and coming back when you feel well again. Plenty of people do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Most medical schools would far rather you took time out from the course instead of dropping out completely, and will usually work with you to facilitate this if you are open and honest with them. Dropping out and reapplying to another university would be a big gamble even if it was because of sickness - they'd want to know why you couldn't continue at your original institution and how things had changed to ensure you would be successful second time round.
    Ah yes, I had read about this option more recently. I wonder if you can take half a year out instead, or two years. Is there any room for variation?

ReputationRep:
    I know of a few people in my course who have had to put their studies on hold due to medical conditions and they can come back when things are better, I would assume there is some kind of time limit to it but I dont know. I think if you were to drop out instead it would be looked upon very poorly when reapplying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xptrt3)
    Ah yes, I had read about this option more recently. I wonder if you can take half a year out instead, or two years. Is there any room for variation?
    They will usually either want you to restart where you left off, or start the year over again, so there might be some variation but it wouldn't be a completely free choice for obvious reasons. It would depend a lot on the individual situation of the student as well as that particular medical school's own policy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.