Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recently passed my test and I'm doing a pass plus course now. I earn around 250 a week. Does anyone know how? Also is it enough to buy a car? How do you get insurance? And then what do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Well first of all decide what kind of car you want.
    Then look at your financing, do you want to buy it upfront or on finance? How do you want to pay your insurance?
    For insurance go on a website like gocompare, confused.com, compare the market and look at insurance quotes.. Then you just click the one you want, pay the required amount and you're good to go. Then you'd need to check if your car needs tax or not (Some cars don't pay road tax) then pick it up and you're good to go =)

I paid £3500 up front for my car and £800 insurance, with £130 tax..I chose to pay it all upfront because even though it was alot of money at the time, I no longer have anything to worry about (aside from petrol) for 12 months.

ReputationRep:
    IWMTom

As well as the comments above, if you're buying a relatively new car privately it can be a good idea to check that there is no outstanding finance on the car before you commit to buying it.

I've copied in IWMTom ot this, as he will give you very good advice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I've copied in IWMTom ot this, as he will give you very good advice.
    Thanks again, RC.

(Original post by Matty2993)
    I've recently passed my test and I'm doing a pass plus course now. I earn around 250 a week. Does anyone know how? Also is it enough to buy a car? How do you get insurance? And then what do I do?
    Just as a matter of personal curiosity, may I ask why you're taking the pass plus course?

When it comes to your query, there's a few options available to you - basing it on your £1,000 a month, you've got an annual income of around £12,000 - this is the territory where you could start to look into car financing, assuming your credit rating is average (you don't want to be paying ridiculous amounts of interest which would occur if your credit history was bad; buying a cheap run around would suffice). I can personally recommend Zuto as a place to begin your search for finance if thats the route you wish to go down, and they're endorsed by AutoTrader, so it's fair to say they're relatively good. You may be required to find a guarantor, which could cause issues for you, or not, no one knows but you!

An alternative option is the slowest of the advice I'm going to give you, and that's to save up - lame, right?

The third option is to buy a really cheap old car - do I recommend this? Not in the slightest. Why? Safety, maintenance/running costs, and most importantly insurance.

When it comes to insurance, you'll find an insurer will give you lower quotes for a reasonably priced modern car vs an old car that costs a few hundred pounds; their theory is that if your car is worth more, you're less likely to damage it, thus less of a risk. Another tip is to go against what would seem obvious when saving costs and to seek comprehensive vs third-party. This seems counter-intuitive, but trust me, it's 95% of the time cheaper to do this. The best option is to use comparison websites to find out your quotes - however, when you find a reputable company (make sure to check reviews!), try and doing a quote directly, as often it works out cheaper.

Insurers usually allow you to pay monthly, which could help you in saving lump sums for a decent car.

Sorry that my reply is a little bit all over the place, but I hope I've given you some good tips! Any questions, feel free to ask
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I should also point out the obvious warnings I missed; can you afford to run a car? You must factor in everything, from maintenance, to fuel, to tax, to insurance. There's some good spreadsheets online that you can use to analyse how much a car will cost you, and each car generally has technical data available online with their average running costs.

With your income, I'd hazard a guess that you can afford it, however I don't know your expenses so cannot be sure. Do your investigations and make a conscious decision!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.